Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Help a noob! Just bought URS6 in great shape xcept for 3-4 gears. Mechanics in CT/MA

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a noob! Just bought URS6 in great shape xcept for 3-4 gears. Mechanics in CT/MA

Almost everything has been replaced by dealer as I have all the receipts since new. I got it off a friend (original owner) who needed the cash and couldn't afford to get it back on the road. It has had a new clutch recently but 3rd and 4th gears are inoperable. Can anyone help me understand what the repair entails? The dealership said a new tranny but I am sure it can be rebuilt, maybe even upgraded. I am also looking for a mechanic within a reasonable distance from Hartford, CT who would be willing to have me help out with the repairs. I have always repaired my own vehicles but trannies are pretty enigmatic to me but would like to learn more. Also I have the Bentley Repair manuals on CD. Any help with this is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3 and 4 rarely go. Might be true but it's surprizing. Might be an adjustment issue (??). For replacement, go for a B5 S4 6 spd.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Coventry Motor Car.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your input. Now maybe I should have mentioned a few things...I havent driven it yet because I dont want to damage the trans anymore than it already is and it has been sitting for about a year. The only reason I have to go on regarding the 3-4 gears being shot is what my friend told me and what the mechanic told him. They suggested a new trans. I think that is a bit excessive for something that seems rebuildable to me but again I know nada about transmissions. Looking over his repair records, it is clear to me that the mechanics were milking him for everything they could so I dont trust what they say.

So, Is there anything you guys would advise for starting it up for the first time after sitting for so long? I will check all the fluids, make sure they are ok...but is there anything I can do to make it a little easier on the engine?

If it is truly shot and replacment is in order, how much am I looking at to replace it with the B5 S4 trans (ballpark)..

Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you start the car, charge the battery and remove the spark plugs. Then crank the engine for a bit (a few minutes) to get some oil circulating in it. Then replace the sparkplugs (torque to 22 lb ft) and the coil pack. Then try to start the car. Hopefully, it will start right up.

If you don't know how to remove the sparkplugs, follow this procedure (read the text in the post re: spark plugs working their way out of the head and then click the R&R link):

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=18872727

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in Lebanon CT and can help you save some money on repairs if you are interested.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is a long shot but ask your friend if the shifter has ever been removed. I read somewhere that if they are not set up exacty right you can run into troubles like that. (maybe his "mechanics" were playing games.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Full history..

Sop I asked my friend for a better description of what was happening when the trans starting acting up. Here is what he told me:

First the stick shifter went all sloppy and he couldn't get it into 3rd or 4th. Brought to mechanic who said he needed nylon sliders. They replaced them but the shifting into 3rd and 4th did not get resolved. Mechanic told him that the issue was either the fork that meshes everything together (this is how he put it) or a bearing that went bad and basically the repair was replacement of the trans. That is when he stopped driving it. The mechanic also told him that the clutch should also be done since the trans needs to be dropped out to replace it. I have receipts that show both the master and slave cylinders for the clutch were replaced less than 8000 miles ago.

How does this read to any of you guys? Was he getting the wool pulled over his eyes by the mechanic or has anyone heard of these issues before? I could be mistaken but it sounds like the issue can be resolved for less than the cost of a new trans. Please let me know and thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Could need shifter bushings or shifter adjustment. Like Dave said 3-4th gear rarely fail in the 01e transmission. Not sure what nylon sliders are?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think he meant the nylon bushing on the bottom of the stick to smooth out vibrations, and helps the shifter go into the shifting gate (not sure how else to term it)... Attached is an example picture of said nylon bearing thingy..

So repairing the bushing you are referring to...does it require a trans replacement or what am i looking at for work..
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Help a noob! Just bought URS6 in great shape xcept for 3-4 gears. Mechanics in CT/MA