Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Post-track tranny oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post-track tranny oil leak

Hello,

I just ran a track day yesterday in Washington in my 1995.5 S6 Avant. I finally was able to put the Big Red upgrade to the test. While I was unable to extract the street pads and put in the track pads (didn't bring adequate tools, didn't have the experience to know the tricks), I went in with the street pads, and all I can say is that the brake upgrade is tied with the IA Stage III+ chip as the best modifications made.

BUT, as I completed my last lap, I noticed some smoke coming out of the engine bay, wasn't brakes or regular oil. We noticed oil coming out of the top of where the transmission seems to join the front drive. It was not the vent, as the vent, as I understand, is way up higher. But rather at the top of the transmission at this meeting point. A tech guy who knows the motor said he thought it might be a faulty or stuck "switch". He said since the leak wasn't at the bottom, it woudl probably be safe to drive home, which i did (about 150 miles).

The transmission seems to be working fine, and I have seen no evidence of further transmission fluid leakage, either before that lapping, or after I returned home. I am wondering if any of you might have had this happen.... Should I not drive it until i can get it totally checked out on Monday? I am worried about how much fluid that would have leaked, but was told that the transmission woudl be difficult to switch gears, and more noise woudl be associated with it, but to date it seems 100% normal.

Thanks,

Robert
1995.5 S6 Avant
Old 07-01-2002, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Post-track tranny oil leak

Robert: Strongly suggest that you post your message at the latest S-car list at:

http://www.audifans.com/pipermail/s-car-list/

by sending a post to:

s-car-list@audifans.com

There are many more listers on the audifans list with real track time experience that can likely help you. (This is true of many of the technical questions).

I think the two lists are separated by age of the owner and the number of previous owners of the S-car. I think that the audifans list tends to be first and second owners (typically over 30) and the audiworld list is second and third owners (typically under 30). No offense. No judgements. Just an observation. Hence more newbies on the audiworld list and more BTDT's on the audifans list. Everyone on both lists is an Audi/VW nut (or are just nuts to own an Audi - I can't tell).

Dave F>