Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Random brake mystery

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random brake mystery

Just in case some of you don't know what this is all about, here is a quick synopsis. Driving down the highway at 80-90 kph. Right front felt as though it had a puncture, (noisy, vibrating and smoking) stopped at side of highway, got out, tire is fine. Brake smell and rotor hot. Backed the car up, which seemed normal and proceeded on my way. No trouble since. This has happened once to my wife and once to my son. Mine was in winter, wife in summer, son in spring. For each of us no actual work was done to the car and it returned to its normal state. This car has 330mm rotors, big reds and runs and brakes silky smooth. I had just put on the snows and thought initially that this was a contributor however know I think it's inmaterial. Put the car on the hoist today to take a good look, everything is perfect. Took a little bit of rust off the outer edge of the rotors, (they may have 10K on them) Pads are just like new. I'm at a loss, it doesn't sound as though any of you have had this happen. I would have thought that if it was foriegn material getting into the works that it would have happened to someone else as well. Maybe one of you can come up with something tenable. BTW still more snow coming, we have more than 3 feet.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So it is just the one brake that is doing this?

As mentioned before, it could be line going bad, not releasing the pressure from caliper or it could be the caliper piston (s) sticking. If it's more than one wheel, i'd suggest it would be the master cylinder. I'd suggest you check to make sure the pads move freely (very easy to pull out the pads and lube them if you don't have the dampers in), if that doesn't work, replace the line, and if that doesn't fix it, i'd say rebuild the caliper.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default when it happened to me just the right front

everything is fine as far as the caliper and pads go. easy to move and smooth. I had heard of lines failing but mostly OEMs not SS and IIRC they tend to keep the pressure on the caliper pistons so as "not to release". I can't conclusively say it's not possible, but highly unlikely. not sure?