Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

UR S6 Timing Belt Being done at shop. Do I need to do the Crankshaft and other Seals? Shop is sayin

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UR S6 Timing Belt Being done at shop. Do I need to do the Crankshaft and other Seals? Shop is sayin

g that to do the Crank Shaft Seal is an ADDITIONAL 3 hours which is highway robbery since they are doing the Timing belt . I called the dealer and they would only charge me an extra 1/2 hour. The shop that has the car says do not replace any of the seals unless they are leaking. There is a crankshaft seal (Supplied by BLAU parts) but the other seals did not come with the kit. How much extra labor should it be? As it is they are charging me 3.5 hours to do the timing belt.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 minutes to replace it....pop the old one off, lube the new one and pop it back

whene everything is off, crank bolt, pulley ...
i did mine with the cam seal as well
Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't lube the crank seal
Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a touch so you can get it in, it's held in place by pulley/crank bolt
Old 06-25-2007, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was supprised how easy it is....

I used the old tap and twist in two wood screws (carefully) and pry on them at the same time method... and it worked rather well.

You will need a deep socket or the special tools to tap the new ones into place.

Realistically took me 20-30 mins to do both. 3 hours is a little rediculous.

I used a (TINY) dab of vasalene on the inside of the seal to help it slide into place. Was that wrong??
Old 06-25-2007, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The chef is right, you never lube the outside of a seal unless.....

you want it to pop out, leak and spin. The crank sprocket is not designed to hold the seal in. In fact it would just spin it around when it popped out.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is 3 hours absolutely crazy to change the crankshaft seal and others with the T Belt.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The whole deal sounds a little sketchy

A. What shop in there right mind would only charge 3.5 hours for a t-belt on one of these cars when that is how long book time is on a Civic with no air, assuming they are at least doing the water pump too like they should be.
B. Adding three hours for a crank seal, well thats just retarded. And it also goes to show they are not confident in there work enough to replace a seal. With all due respect I think that could be the only reason why you would not replace a seal as a service item on a 12 to 15 year old car when you have it all apart. At our shop we replace seals on everything we take apart and usually charge an extra half and hour for both the cam and crank seals regardless what kind of car it is.
C. In my opinion the job is a 5 hour job and the labor should include replacing, the t-belt, water pump, front seals, tensioner bearing, thermostat and serpentine belt. Replacing any less than this is not doing a thorough job in my opinion.
D. I hope they do a good job for you but I would think about looking for another shop if they want to charge you an extra three hours for a crank seal.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, see my post above about it being sketchy.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:08 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Beyond crazy. The lower pulley is off anyway. You are already looking right at the seal.

Half an hour leaves 15 minutes for a coffee break. Clearly your shop knows next to nothing about this job. Do you have an alternative?

Quick Reply: UR S6 Timing Belt Being done at shop. Do I need to do the Crankshaft and other Seals? Shop is sayin