Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Why is it that I own/drive a car for 21 yrs (86 Jetta Carat),I sell it to a VW Audi enthusiast and..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why is it that I own/drive a car for 21 yrs (86 Jetta Carat),I sell it to a VW Audi enthusiast and..

two months later its dead, gone to meet its maker?

I just came back from the Great Canadian VW show and was sure that I was going to see my old "baby" beside its two door "twin" and found out that the car died our "Freak" May snow storm.

Nobody was hurt but the car is gone. He didn't even buy it back for the good parts (Recaro-style sport seats, 2L 16V, suspension, Corrado brakes, etc.).

On this basis, I will NEVAR sell my 93 S4 because it would die soon after I sell it.

Bugga.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your car picked up a case of the FD RX-7 syndrome
Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How was the GCVW show? I was thinking of going, but got tied up at home.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

this is why I still have all of my cars
Old 08-19-2007, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Well after discovering that fact, I was pretty bummed out. Not too much new there. Some nice old VW

Beetles and transporters there though. Didn't see Barry G. or any club members. Zero Audi's on display.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I can relate...

just last Weds as I was pulling into the local beer store, three dudes approach and ask if I have a lug wrench. "No problemo..." and then one of them recognises me by name. Claims they are driving an old car I sold (94 Urs4) about four years ago. As we round the corner with lug wrench in hand, I see the old girl. The kid I sold it to had good intentions (2bennet coil overs etc) but it was obvious the car needs some serious tlc. The new owner is going to have his hand full but if he's reading this forum.... GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 08-19-2007, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btdt, it sucks. my GTI lasted 4 months before the new owner wrapped it around a tree.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I feel your pain. I sold my 90 Jetta Carat 6 months ago...

and I saw it on craigslist last week. The new owner didn't mention any of the nice upgrades like the Corrado interior pieces, Peloquin shim kit, or Audi wheels. Though, at least the car is still running.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yup.

My Alfa Spider lasted all of four hours after I sold it.

The kid walks up with the full price in his hand - cash. I'm concerned, because he doesn't care about any of the minor issues the car has, and he doesn't want the folder of receipts (including the original window sticker) nor the hardtop I sourced and had painted at great expense.

My wife had been pushing me to sell the car for six months, and I'd not had anything but low-ballers and joy-riders show up. I really didn't want to sell it to the kid, but the wrath of the keeper of the One Ring awaited me...

So I took the cash. I read about the kid's folly the next day in the local rag - he took a corner too fast and crashed into a 100-year-old oak tree.

Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off. That car was a sweet runner.

I sold my '78 Scirocco to a buddy, who proceeded to drop a 16V into it, and strip it for some sort of racing. He found some rust that would have compromised the structure, and he and I both agreed that the shell needed to be scrapped.

I gave him back his money, but in the end, we were both saddened by the premature death of a fine car.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My 88 Rocco met the same fate =(

Quick Reply: Why is it that I own/drive a car for 21 yrs (86 Jetta Carat),I sell it to a VW Audi enthusiast and..