Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Would you sell a N.A. urS6 Avant for a N.A. urQ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you sell a N.A. urS6 Avant for a N.A. urQ???

I have an opportunity to purchase a low mileage, all original 1983 Audi urQ. I want to add this to my collection but the wife told me to sell one first.

If you had to choose between a 1995.5 urS6 Avant and 1983 urQ which would you choose and why?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default UrQ will be a garage queen whereas the UrS6 avant is a useful daily driver.

Unless you have daily driver I would say keep the UrS6 avant.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have one to many garage queens I would drive the urQ in dry weather conditions...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I myself would probably keep the Avant

We use ours as one of our daily drivers, S6 sedan for the other. We also have a truck and four other cars that are collector/pleasure type cars so I guess it depends what else you have in the stable. I would give up one or two of the collector cars before giving up our Avant. Hell I would probably give all the other cars except the pick-up and my FJ45 before giving up the Avant. Its a very useful car.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default No doubt UrQ for a garage/sunny days/track car. But if it needs to be practical...

If it's only for a recreational/collection car, no doubt, go UrS all the way.

But if you have to use it regularly, long trips, etc. the UrQ interior, switchgear, seating, etc. is pretty dated... Having looked at a nice Coupe recently, I was struck by how "VW Dasher" it looks nowadays. On the other hand people regularly get in my S6 and are shocked that it's 14 years old and has 174k, and remark at how sweet it is to ride around in.

Mechanically the stone-age Motronic isn't really fun to work on but I guess you trade that off against POS/Coil/CPS/etc. issues. Way more impossible-to-get parts with the coupe, whereas you're supported by the vastly larger numbers of UrS cars and their sisters that were made...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
mtg
AudiWorld Member

Default Easy question (for me)

I'd keep the 95.5. I had an 83 UrQ and it was a nightmare. It was the first car that Audi made that came with a computer. The electrical system was undersized for what it had to do. It is not uncommon to find melted fuse boxes and shorted wires. Unless this car has been thoroughly updated by someone like Anderson I'd avoid it like the plague. BTW Audi sure learned a lot in the 13 years between the UrQ and your UrS. Handling is so much better in the 95.5. Just my opinion FWIW. Mark near Chicago
Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have owned many Landcruiser in my past. Stop talking me out of the urQ :P

I'm torn. It took me many years to find my one owner urS6 Avant...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We both own rare green Avants Thank you for your reply!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you own one? Your scaring me with thoughts of melted fuse boxes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maintaining the UrQ will be difficult because many parts are NLA. The fuse box...

issue is resolved by swapping with a 4000 fuse box. There are work arounds and swappable parts from other Audi's but even those (Coupe GT for example) are becoming harder to find. However, you are lucky to be finding one in running condition considering there aren't many good examples left out there (compared to UrS Avants)

Quick Reply: Would you sell a N.A. urS6 Avant for a N.A. urQ???