Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

1 Week with the Q8

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
I've noticed it once so far. Wonder what could be going on. My sq5 with similar engine didn't do this.
I’ve noticed it a couple times but its extremely faint on mine. I don’t think I would have picked up on it if it wasn’t reported here.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Someone tried the AC threshold coding trick and I believe that the setting doesn't exist on the Q8.
The Air Conditioning control unit in OBDeleven (where the setting for past Audis is) doesn’t even exist on the Q8. I’ve tried a couple other settings that didn’t work either. So far no way to shut off Auto S/S on Q8.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
I've noticed it once so far. Wonder what could be going on. My sq5 with similar engine didn't do this.
May have something to do with the mild hybrid setup ...does the SQ5 have this too? If so it could have something to do with out of balance cooling fan blades on the Q8's (they actually have balancing clips on them) or torque converter issues (maybe a bad batch).
Old 01-18-2019, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Having had several Audis before the Q8 with the "old" stop/start system, this one is so smooooth and unobtrusive, I could live with it. But, since I can't live with the thing in "D" (I always drive in S) well, it's not even an issue.

My wife stopped driving her 2018 SQ5 in S, switching to D because she said S was "angry mode."

On her Q8, she never drives in D because she says that is "sluggish" mode. Solution? She drives in S mode and is now happy with the power of the Q8. She doesn't expect the Q8 to be the "hot rod" the SQ5 was, so it's all good.

When I am loaned an A6 with the 3.0T (Supercharged version), I drive in D, the A6 with the 3.0T (Turbocharged version) feels like it needs to be driven in S mode (even with the DSG transmission.)

I don't know what the big deal is with the start/stop, but perhaps if I was forced to use it I would feel differently. When I do drive the Q8 in D (accidentally), I often forget it's even there until I am sitting for a long time at a very long traffic light and I notice how stone cold silent the thing is.

I guess we'll soon have zero concerns now that "electric has gone Audi!"
Old 01-28-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500 miles in and have noticed a weird smell. It doesn't smell like engine oil burning, to me it smells like diff fluid and I notice it when getting out of the car in the garage. There are no puddles on the floor. I wonder if the motor mounts have fluid in them and one is leaking causing the vibration at idle. Or did anyone else notice this smell.I have to take it to the dealer this Wednesday to get a new key, so I'll have them take a look. Here are some pics after her first wash.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding start/stop - to me its pretty obtrusive. If it stops and you let lightly off the brake when light is about to turn - the car jerks suddenly as the engine comes back on. I have had a few times I felt like it was going to jerk me into the car in front of me.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

That effect does not happen to me?
Old 01-28-2019, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cbl1
Regarding start/stop - to me its pretty obtrusive. If it stops and you let lightly off the brake when light is about to turn - the car jerks suddenly as the engine comes back on. I have had a few times I felt like it was going to jerk me into the car in front of me.
I've had that happen a time or two. Also lifting off the brakes and applying the accelerator just before the car comes to a complete stop results in a long delay before the engine/transmission provides power. I've been in a couple situations where it made things dangerous.

I'm wondering if Audi has a software update that the newest batch of Q8s have but the earlier releases don't.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by d2000one
I've had that happen a time or two. Also lifting off the brakes and applying the accelerator just before the car comes to a complete stop results in a long delay before the engine/transmission provides power. I've been in a couple situations where it made things dangerous.

I'm wondering if Audi has a software update that the newest batch of Q8s have but the earlier releases don't.
Yeah mine can be herky/jerky sometimes and the lag is no good, I started shutting it off every time I drive. Can’t believe I haven’t found a way to disable it in OBDeleven.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an A7, but I would think the mechanics are the same - when I put the car in "Sport" (as I do ALL the time) it disables the stop/start. So I dont have to remember to manually shut it off when I get in the car.

Does that work in the Q8?

Quick Reply: 1 Week with the Q8