Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

3 Days In A New Q8...How Does It Compare To The Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

I apologize as I really shouldn't be posting on the Q8 subforum but there's not a lot of D5 A8 activity...

Just wanted to report in that the D5 A8 and the Q8 (2019) have the same EA839 engine and on the A8 the engine (minor) vibrations are present, although not by any means intrusive to a point where it makes me scratch my head. It's not as vibration free as say a Lexus LS500, but wanted to note that it is present on the D5 as well.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Re: Cost cutting. I drove the Q8 extensively as well, and immediately noted the cost cutting on the Q8 to my car salesperson.

The apparent cost cutting on the Q8 (already mentioned on this thread) is not present on the D5. I guess because no one will buy the D5, versus the Q8 which will be heavily bought. Granted, the D5 has a higher price point (albeit not by much), but even so I suspect the margin on the Q8 is higher than on the D5.

If you spec out the D5 to a moderately optioned car, there is no apparent cost cutting that is visible.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Our experience with the Q8 is that it is the quietest car we've ever been in including an A8 (last year's model)
After controlling for as many variables as I could and using an ANSI spec decimeter, my readings/data back up your point here. That said, all Q8s here in Canada have dual pane glass, so I have no data in regards to single pane Q8s. All D4/D5s here in Canada are also dual pane.

That said if noise is high on your list (if you want a quiet vehicle like me), yes, the D5 is quieter than the Q8. (D5 I drove extensively had the 20" Pirelli P7 Cinturato acoustic tire and the Q8 had the 22" tires). The D5's noise levels are the same as the W222 S class, which is the quietest car that I have ever driven and tested (the 7 series, the LS500 (2018) and the Genesis G90) are all vehicles I have tested on at exactly the same road surface, same weather conditions etc.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I apologize as I really shouldn't be posting on the Q8 subforum but there's not a lot of D5 A8 activity...

Just wanted to report in that the D5 A8 and the Q8 (2019) have the same EA839 engine and on the A8 the engine (minor) vibrations are present, although not by any means intrusive to a point where it makes me scratch my head. It's not as vibration free as say a Lexus LS500, but wanted to note that it is present on the D5 as well.
I’ve noticed the vibration now as well when parallel parking. It’s very faint but I felt it with my hand on the gear selector. It seemed more noticeable in Reverse, than Drive or Park for some reason, I need to test it out again. Couldn’t feel it in the seat only in the shifter. If it hadn’t been posted here I’m not sure if I would have noticed it though.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

I’ve noticed the vibration now as well when parallel parking. It’s very faint but I felt it with my hand on the gear selector. It seemed more noticeable in Reverse, than Drive or Park for some reason, I need to test it out again. Couldn’t feel it in the seat only in the shifter. If it hadn’t been posted here I’m not sure if I would have noticed it though.

The vibration is intermittent and will move to different areas of the vehicle (seats, gear selector and console cover), sometimes it will be minor and other times quite pronounced...something is not right...could be bad ac compressor, hybrid component, torque converter, motor mounts? I have also noticed that it varies from vehicle to vehicle, of the 5 I drove 3 were pretty bad/consistent and the others not so bad.

Last edited by RJC 1; 12-12-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have both a Q7 (which we've had for almost 3 years) and now have a Q8 which I've owned for about 6 weeks now. There's nothing wrong with the Q8 - it's a fine vehicle and the one we have has had no vibration whatsoever nor has it had any issues. It looks great and I love the styling and the new MMI and features. The seats are comfortable and from a form and function standpoint, there's nothing really to complain about. However, having said all of that, I find myself a bit ambivalent toward the vehicle. All things being equal, I think the Q7 drives better and feels smaller - at least to me. Maybe the Q8 needs a bit more break-in...it has just over 1,000 miles on it. The Q7 is the family car and one that we do most of our weekend driving with and find myself instinctively choosing that car over the Q8. There's a lot of eye candy and cool features in the Q8, but truth be told now that I've lived with them and can easily compare the two, the Q7 is a substantially better value. If it wasn't financially ridiculous, I'd swap the Q8 for a Q7 in a heartbeat.

I moved to the Q8 from an S5 Sportback once my youngest started going to school. Putting her in and out of the car seat in the S5 was a bit of a chore, and the Q8 seemed like an interesting choice - and certainly has a much better rear seat than the S5. So from that standpoint, it has met my objectives. But beyond that and the styling and tech, there's nothing (except, perhaps, a spare tire) that the Q8 really has over the Q7. I don't see the value for the cost difference - at least not today.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike99
We have both a Q7 (which we've had for almost 3 years) and now have a Q8 which I've owned for about 6 weeks now. There's nothing wrong with the Q8 - it's a fine vehicle and the one we have has had no vibration whatsoever nor has it had any issues. It looks great and I love the styling and the new MMI and features. The seats are comfortable and from a form and function standpoint, there's nothing really to complain about. However, having said all of that, I find myself a bit ambivalent toward the vehicle. All things being equal, I think the Q7 drives better and feels smaller - at least to me. Maybe the Q8 needs a bit more break-in...it has just over 1,000 miles on it. The Q7 is the family car and one that we do most of our weekend driving with and find myself instinctively choosing that car over the Q8. There's a lot of eye candy and cool features in the Q8, but truth be told now that I've lived with them and can easily compare the two, the Q7 is a substantially better value. If it wasn't financially ridiculous, I'd swap the Q8 for a Q7 in a heartbeat.

I moved to the Q8 from an S5 Sportback once my youngest started going to school. Putting her in and out of the car seat in the S5 was a bit of a chore, and the Q8 seemed like an interesting choice - and certainly has a much better rear seat than the S5. So from that standpoint, it has met my objectives. But beyond that and the styling and tech, there's nothing (except, perhaps, a spare tire) that the Q8 really has over the Q7. I don't see the value for the cost difference - at least not today.
Very objective review.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mike99

Your post, quoted above, makes me think that Audi's "target" customers for the Q7 and Q8 are not the same. This does not mean I think the Q8 is better or that the Q7 is not the "one to get." Quite the contrary, I think if you "instinctively" choose the Q7 over the Q8 or vice versa the Audi marketing research study was money well-spent.

My wife had a new Q7 for two days and couldn't wait to get out of it in favor of the Q8. In my case, I just can't understand the attraction of paying $10,000 more for an A7 vs an A6. I find the A7 good looking, but I just can't comprehend where the $10,000 premium is hidden -- and I've checked the glove box and the boot and it isn't there.

Why an S5SB starts out $3,000 more than an S4 is also a question I can't answer, especially since the S5 makes me feel like a bug when I'm in it, and it's not as quick.

It's like that research study that just came out about beer and what your likes and dislikes tell about your "soul." There are folks who are drawn to this but not that. In my case, I could really tell the difference between the Q7 and Q8 to the detriment of the Q7 -- but I attributed that to the super vs turbo-charged engine. My wife said the Q7's narrower track made it feel more like it was on stilts. Who knows? The point is, it seems Audi actually believes there is a market for the Q7 and another market for the Q8. I don't know, personally, if that is the outcome of some expensive market research engagement, I just THINK it must be.

So, if you're drawn to the Q7, YOU'RE correct. Likewise, those who can't see themselves ever considering a Q7 but are loving the Q8 are also correct.

I talked with the reps -- who are not psychologists or marketing gurus -- and I was given examples where they've had customers come in and take the Q7 for a test drive and return and say "that was nice." And, then take the Q8 out and return, clearly in love with the thing.

It takes all kinds. Perhaps Audi's market research was money well-spent.

https://www.livescience.com/63039-wh...eer-taste.html

Last edited by markcincinnati; 12-12-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reviews. I think I will stick with my 2017 Q7. I was going to trade-in my Q7 for a new 2019 Q8 this week. I am not so sure about the new 3.0T turbocharge engine because Audi have a very bad reputation with anything new. I've been a loyal Audi customer for 28 years and owned more than 25 Audi. The biggest problem with Audi is they like to embrace new technologies without fully validated. You got lucky if you find the problem before the warranty expires but in most cases you don't.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Tudigon, you are correct in your perceptions. But I have entirely different perceptions. I loved what I thought was the immediacy of the 3.0T when it was super-charged, I somehow thought the super-charged engine offered up superior urge. I lived with my 2014 S4 for some 53,000 miles. I kept the thing beyond a 42-month lease program and did, at first, not really want to give up the 7-speed DSG transmission and that sublime super-charged motivator.

Now, at 20,000 miles on my 3.0T turbo-charged 2018 S4 (and nearly 3,000 miles on our Q8), every time I am given a 2018 A6 or Q7 3.0T, I think to myself "There's something wrong with this car, it must be broken." I told my wife that compared to her Q8 the A6 loaner I had while my car was in for an oil change felt "puny" or "sluggish."

Perception (yours and mine) is reality.

With respect to your comment that Audi likes to embrace new technologies without being fully validated, I have no indication that it so -- and we've had 34 Audis since 1977. We've kept Audis beyond the warranty period, in one case, we kept a 2014 SQ5 to over 93,000 miles and the only two out of warranty problems, a rear door that wouldn't lock and the tail-pipe "fart sound" device failed; both of these issues were repaired out of warranty at zero charge based on the service manager's access to a budget Audi of America provides for unusual circumstances. Of course, we have always had Audi Care and we do purchase the Audi backed "care" after 50,000 miles.

So, the point is we would argue Audi technologies are fully vetted and remain solid long after the warranty expires. Now, we have heard about air suspensions that have failed after the warranty period. We've also heard of issues regarding the torque vectoring differential, also after tlhe warranty's expiration. Yet, even after 34 Audis over decades, we've not found year one vehicles to be any less reliable or durable than subsequent year vehicles. We have found, previously, that year one vehicles may not offer as many features as the same car just two MY later. But, even so, what seems to be happening is the content increases within a given model as it progresses through a 6, 7 or 8 year life-span.

Will the "year one" package offered on the new Q8 go away in "year two"? Well, the name "year one" surely will, but I would predict the Yr 1 package will soldier on, but with a different name.

Moreover, there will surely be an increase in content as the 2019 Q8 becomes the 2020 and 2021, etc. model. I would assume driver assistance will become standard equipment, for example.

Again, your perception is reality. But by the same token my perception (and my wife's) also represents reality.

If you -- a reader of this forum and these posts -- are counting on "us" to provide information to help you make your decision, well you have come to the right place, but you should keep at the top of mind the FACT that most of us discuss our experiences and express our opinions and perceptions.

As a counter to Tudigon, it has been my experience that there is no reason to eschew a first-year Audi.

Quick Reply: 3 Days In A New Q8...How Does It Compare To The Q7?