Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

3 seconds to open the door?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3 seconds to open the door?

Does anyone else use the little divots in the door handles to unlock the door? For me it usually takes about 3 seconds to unlock the door when you just press the button. Not sure about you folks, but to me that's kind of forever now a days. Plus to date I'm unsure I've figured out when the door actually unlocks. Like the visual indicator. I just start pulling the handle after pushing the button until it decides to open.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 08-02-2019, 05:34 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

No, you should not need to do that, just grab the handle with the key in your pocket to open the door.
The divot is really just if you want to lock the doors via the handle instead of using the key fob button.

The delay you see when trying to use the divot to unlock is intentional to prevent people for accidentally locking then immediately unlock the doors. It should also be the same if you lock the door via the handle and immediately pull the handle to check if the door is locked. Audi designed it to not immediately unlock again.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by syarbrou
Does anyone else use the little divots in the door handles to unlock the door? For me it usually takes about 3 seconds to unlock the door when you just press the button. Not sure about you folks, but to me that's kind of forever now a days. Plus to date I'm unsure I've figured out when the door actually unlocks. Like the visual indicator. I just start pulling the handle after pushing the button until it decides to open.

Thanks.

Steve
I have the same or similar Q8 problem, but only with the driver's door. If I then try the left rear door, it always works properly. I made a video of the problem below where the driver's door fails to open three times and the rear door opens immediately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZd...ature=youtu.be

The keys are in my left pocket and don't change position during the video. I suspect the door sensor needs to be replaced, but the problem is sporadic and there are no recorded faults in the vehicle so Audi America will not authorize further diagnosis or troubleshooting. They say "it is operating as designed". I would also appreciate any suggestions to address the problem. It is a real pain, particularly in a rainstorm. I am willing to purchase an OBDII programmer if I can address the problem with a parametric setting. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by rjabend; 08-03-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I came here to tell the OP that it’s jot normal and should open pretty immediately.
I saw your video and I cannot believe that after see that video they could say it’s working as designed.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by rjabend
I have the same or similar Q8 problem, but only with the driver's door. If I then try the left rear door, it always works properly. I made a video of the problem below where the driver's door fails to open three times and the rear door opens immediately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZd...ature=youtu.be

The keys are in my left pocket and don't change position during the video. I suspect the door sensor needs to be replaced, but the problem is sporadic and there are no recorded faults in the vehicle so Audi America will not authorize further diagnosis or troubleshooting. They say "it is operating as designed". I would also appreciate any suggestions to address the problem. It is a real pain, particularly in a rainstorm. I am willing to purchase an OBDII programmer if I can address the problem with a parametric setting. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Don't use the divots. Just pull the handle.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Don't use the divots. Just pull the handle.
Pulling the handle is what I do. That should be visible in the video.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Your hand is actually not "well placed" on the handle. Simply move your grasping hand more forward to the front of the handle, well away from the "divot" on the handle (closest to the jamb). Try that and repost your findings...
Old 08-05-2019, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rjabend
Pulling the handle is what I do. That should be visible in the video.
I was responding to the OP, but have you tried grabbing the handle more towards the left? The lock sensor can pick up your hand behind the handle if too far to the right.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I was responding to the OP, but have you tried grabbing the handle more towards the left? The lock sensor can pick up your hand behind the handle if too far to the right.
Thanks for your suggestion. Note though that I grasp the rear door the same way and it opens on the first try, and I never have any trouble with any of the doors except the drivers door. It is also true that the left side of the handle contains the pivot point and the right side of the handle is the side that swings out logically making it the side to grasp. Nevertheless, I'll give your suggestion a try and post the results.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with JSF, that isn't normal. Based on your video, it looks like your hand is well placed for the handle to determine that you're trying to open the door. Just as another test, see what happens if you open the door with your left hand as well. Don't know if that's a solution, but it's worth a shot to see if for some reason it detects hands differently.

Quick Reply: 3 seconds to open the door?