Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

91x4 update and unable to turn off lane keep assist

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 91x4 update and unable to turn off lane keep assist

Since the “recall”/MMI update, my lane keep assist is permanently on. Anybody else having this issue? I’ve tried everything I can think of and dove into every menu. No luck. With cruise on or off. Doesn’t matter.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Mayzak
Since the “recall”/MMI update, my lane keep assist is permanently on. Anybody else having this issue? I’ve tried everything I can think of and dove into every menu. No luck. With cruise on or off. Doesn’t matter.
That is strange. Are you confusing Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keeping Assist? Assist would keep you centered in the lane if it worked and departure warns (and corrects if you start to cross the lane marking. The end button on the end of the upper left stalk controls whether assist is on or not.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rjabend
That is strange. Are you confusing Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keeping Assist? Assist would keep you centered in the lane if it worked and departure warns (and corrects if you start to cross the lane marking. The end button on the end of the upper left stalk controls whether assist is on or not.
it’s definitely Lane Keep Assist that’s malfunctioning. It tries to steer for me and the lane lights on the dash under the speedometer go white then green as it finds the lines. I was able to turn off the vibration but not the auto steer. I’ve tried turning every system off in the menus and it persists. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in, which I will this week. Was just wondering if other people have had this issue since the update.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

it’s definitely Lane Keep Assist that’s malfunctioning. It tries to steer for me and the lane lights on the dash under the speedometer go white then green as it finds the lines. I was able to turn off the vibration but not the auto steer. I’ve tried turning every system off in the menus and it persists. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in, which I will this week. Was just wondering if other people have had this issue since the update.
My ADAS features don't work very well, but I have never experienced an inability to turn them off. My steering assist takes some dangerous actions, so I keep it off all the time. Hopefully, your dealer will find a recorded fault pointing to the failure.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 801 Likes on 613 Posts

There is a button on the indicator stalk. Did you try to switch it off? Your description reminds me more the Lane Departure Warning which tries to correct your driving track by interference with the steering wheel and vibration. Vibration you can turn off permanently in MMI but LDW always come back after restart of the engine and each time you have to deactivate it by button on indicator stalk.
Green lines appear when the certain speed is exceeded and when the system (camera) see the road lines. Otherwise these lines are white and the system does't work.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by retom
There is a button on the indicator stalk. Did you try to switch it off? Your description reminds me more the Lane Departure Warning which tries to correct your driving track by interference with the steering wheel and vibration. Vibration you can turn off permanently in MMI but LDW always come back after restart of the engine and each time you have to deactivate it by button on indicator stalk.
Green lines appear when the certain speed is exceeded and when the system (camera) see the road lines. Otherwise these lines are white and the system does't work.
that was the first things I tried and continue to try after every startup. I’ll update folks after I finally get to the dealership. I wouldn’t car if it didn’t try to make me drive out of my lane whenever the lane detection system gets confused ...
Old 09-12-2020, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

that was the first things I tried and continue to try after every startup. I’ll update folks after I finally get to the dealership. I wouldn’t car if it didn’t try to make me drive out of my lane whenever the lane detection system gets confused ...
That is exactly why I turn mine off. If it gets confused, it should do NOTHING! I wonder if we can get a refund
Old 09-12-2020, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I keep getting messages that I am a bad driver and I need to keep my hands on the wheel. Where I live the roads are horrible so I am constantly weaving around and crossing lines to avoid potholes. Never had a car that complained about my driving more than my wife. I think I am going to turn this thing off.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 801 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon900
I keep getting messages that I am a bad driver and I need to keep my hands on the wheel. Where I live the roads are horrible so I am constantly weaving around and crossing lines to avoid potholes. Never had a car that complained about my driving more than my wife. I think I am going to turn this thing off.
It could be turned off permanently via coding. Module A5 Adaptation Channels and there is an option in there to turn it off.

Last edited by retom; 09-12-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Recently had the 91x4 MMI update and it appears they have made the corrective steer part of the lane departure warning super aggressive. It acts like the lane keeping assist that is part of the adaptive cruise control so maybe that's why we think that is the culprit. If you shut off lane departure warning with the shortcut button above the HVAC controls it goes away. Why would they mess with something that worked effectively already? It is so aggressive I think I may have to turn it off all the time. Way to ruin a perfectly functioning safety system with a software update Audi.

Quick Reply: 91x4 update and unable to turn off lane keep assist