Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Adaptive Chassis Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my Q8 with the adaptive chassis package and after just over a month driving it, to me at least, it's worth every penny. Love it. If you can afford it, get it for sure. As much as Audi markets that as kind of new tech, AWS has been around for a very long time. Mercedes had this on the 1937 Type G 5, and air suspension has been around since the 50s!

It just snowed yesterday up here and instead of shovelling to open up my driveway, just raised the suspension! :-)). Reminded me of my childhood when my parents had a Citroen DS and CX with hydraulic suspension in the early 70s.

I had a loaner Q8 for a few days before Xmas with the standard steel suspension and could notice the difference. The standard suspension was a lot more bouncier, even in Comfort mode and the handling when cornering was different, or should I say, it cornered like most AWD cars and SUVs. With AWS, the best way I could describe it is that it turns on a dime. The turning diameter is actually not as good as my previous 7P Touareg, based on the previous generation platform however. Changing lanes at highway speeds also feels more stable.

And yes, at the lowest setting, it does look awesome!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, am in the market for a Q8 and have been debating the adaptive chassis package as well. Can someone please clarify what exactly that package comes with? The Audi USA website is useless in its description, but here's what I've been able to gather so far:

- 4 wheel turning
- Trunk can lower for easy loading
- Height adjustment

Very important question - does the standard steel suspension NOT have adjustable height? I had an SQ5 2 cars ago and could've sworn I didn't pay for the adaptive chassis package but still had the option to select dynamic/comfort/etc. I don't ever think I noticed it lowering/raising though.

Thanks all!
Leo
Old 05-13-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Leo,

I have the Q8 and did not get the adaptive chassis due to the added complexity. That said, a tighter turning radius would be helpful but not necessary. Your info on the package appears correct. The steel suspension does not have adjustable height, but frankly I don't think that would be of much added value. Hope that helps.

Bpb
Old 05-13-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingrayleo
Hi all, am in the market for a Q8 and have been debating the adaptive chassis package as well. Can someone please clarify what exactly that package comes with? The Audi USA website is useless in its description, but here's what I've been able to gather so far:

- 4 wheel turning
- Height adjustment

Very important question - does the standard steel suspension NOT have adjustable height? I had an SQ5 2 cars ago and could've sworn I didn't pay for the adaptive chassis package but still had the option to select dynamic/comfort/etc. I don't ever think I noticed it lowering/raising though.

Thanks all!
Leo
You need the adaptive chassis package for height adjustment. They all have adaptive suspension though. I think it's worth it just for the 4 wheel steering.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the adaptive suspension on our Q8 and I love it. I have a Macan GTS and previously had a Cayenne Turbo..both with air suspensions. I will always opt for the air suspension....soft for comfort setting and stiffer for sport setting. The added rear wheel steer is not noticeable.....but I worth it for a long vehicle for turning radius. For the Q8 very reasonable cost....add those to a Cayenne and $$$. As for raising or lowering the rear...eh
Old 05-13-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stingrayleo

- 4 wheel turning
- Height adjustment

Thanks all!
Leo

Got the AS on mine and besides the very precise cornering and more stable lane changes at speed, the AS gets you to be able to lower the suspension when in Dynamic mode that looks a lot better than the steel suspension. I have the 22s and it worth it. Unless I am on very bumpy roads, mine is always at the lowest setting. And the ride with the 22s with AS is not too harsh.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the Trunk lowering. Does it lower it as low as the sport or whatever the low setting is for the car or does it lower the back even lower than the normal driving lowest setting?

Thanks.

JR
Old 05-13-2019, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It does lower slightly lower than the dynamic drive setting but on the rear suspension.