Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Audi Care, Extended Warranties & more?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Audi Care, Extended Warranties & more?

Targeting picking up an RS Q8 this Thursday and that means some decisions to make on coverage and extended care options. I could really use some advice on the various options. I am being quoted the following...
  • Audi Care for $1,649 for 4 years or 40k whatever comes first
  • Tire and wheel protection for $2,995
  • Laser Jammer system for $3,475
  • Break pad and rotor coverage for $2,500
  • Extended Warranty 7y/70k with a $250 deductible $4,995
  • Extended Warranty 10y/100k with a 250 deductible for $5,995
Any advice on any of these would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-24-2021, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 137 Likes on 93 Posts

I would only do the Audi Care. Tire and wheel protection is too pricey, you'd have to replace at least two rims to break even there. Laser jammer if you are planning on street racing (check to see if a jammer is legal where you live too). Brake coverage haven't heard of that before, do they cover premature wear? If you have the CCBs its not worth it since the CCBs will last a long time. Extended warranty doesn't seem bad but only worth it if you are planning on keeping the RSQ8 long term or plan on selling it privately later.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Wow they got their add-on game on point. I would (and did) only purchase Audi Care because maintenance is a sunk cost (assuming you don’t diy) so buying now makes sense.

I declined the rest because it’s a risk assessment for me whether I’d use those things vs. ability to pay out of pocket. I decided (not just with this car, but my others) that I wouldn’t be put out by paying for a multi-thousand dollar repair out of pocket if need be, so I’m ok taking the risk. Everyone’s individual mileage varies here so do what’s best for you, your wallet, and your peace of mind.

As one last point, I did buy the Audi extended warranty on my 2018 Q7 with the intention of keeping that car for a “long time”. Well, things change and I traded it in after two years. You can get a prorated refund if you do that, but the process is fairly painful given that they have zero incentive to do things like respond to your voicemails and emails.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pabla
I would only do the Audi Care. Tire and wheel protection is too pricey, you'd have to replace at least two rims to break even there. Laser jammer if you are planning on street racing (check to see if a jammer is legal where you live too). Brake coverage haven't heard of that before, do they cover premature wear? If you have the CCBs its not worth it since the CCBs will last a long time. Extended warranty doesn't seem bad but only worth it if you are planning on keeping the RSQ8 long term or plan on selling it privately later.
Hi Pabla, Thanks for your advice.

I don't have the CCBs. The brake coverage apparently covers one set of pads per year and one set of new rotors. My experience with the Q7s we have had suggests a rotor replacement will be hard to avoid. We leased our Q7s and always try to squeak out the lease term without replacing the rotors. Hit and miss. I guess the question is what does replacing the rotors cost.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

First of all, congratulations on your new RSQ8!
  • As other's have stated, the Audicare makes sense as you are going to have to pay for maintenance and it seems worth it
  • I have never bought tire / wheel protection and did not for my RSQ8
  • Laser Jammer - that seems steep for a jammer install. As others asked, do you have a lot of laser being used by LEOs where you drive. You are better off just getting a good radar detector (like a Valentine One Gen 2) and pairing it with an app like JBV1 that provides pretty good levels of notification. That is the setup I run - I have had a V1 since 1997 and zero tickets since then
  • Brake Pad coverage - I was not even offered this when I picked up my vehicle. It would be good to understand the mileage/time limits on this. I don't drive enough miles to justify this unless it is based solely on mileage and not months.
  • Extended warranty - I am currently planning on keeping my RSQ8 beyond the factory warranty. I did the 10year/100K option with a "disappearing deductible" which basically means $0 deductible if I take it to MY Audi Dealer. If I take it to a different dealer, it is a $100 deductible. The price was pretty close to what you were quoted, just a better deductible plan
The following users liked this post:
SQ8westcoast (05-24-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

On a Q8 i did extended warranty 8y/80k, audi care and tire and wheel. CA has ****ty highways and this will be a DD and absolutely expect to get curb rash in the next 6 years.
In addition the tire and wheel also covers repairs to dents and dings on exterior surfaces.
The following users liked this post:
TahoeGator (05-28-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I got
Audi care 1500cad
extended warranty for 8 yrs 4kcad
Wheel and tire 4 yrs 1600 cad. I fckng curb rashed a rim 5hrs into ownership.. So.... Not unhappy I got it, but can be buffed anyway. You'd have to blow 3 tires or crack a rim for this to make sense.. So not sure brilliant idea.
I also got brake and rotors, 2400cad. They told me based on my Vin my brake job was 7400 for a 21 rsq8 non ceramic.. I was floored. I still have yet to call parts to find out if bs.