Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Audi Connect service value - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect service value - thoughts?

I recently purchased a Q8 and it came with a trial subscription of Audi Connect. I have poked around in terms of the features and it just doesn’t seem to be worth it to me. It appears to provide Wi-Fi (can already do from my phone), traffic info (also can do on my phone with CarPlay), and internet radio (can also do on my phone with CarPlay).

Am I missing something here? What is the killer app or feature that would make anyone want to shell out $500-ish dollars a year to subscribe?
Old 07-20-2022, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only feature I see that I would even want is the Google earth satellite nav....and THAT you can also do with airplay (not in virtual cockpit). I will have whatever Audi was smoking when they came up with that pricing.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont see anything that is worth the price.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the free 6 month trial when I bought my '19Q8 new and then purchased an18 month extension but have since not renewed. I miss several of the features:
  1. Google satellite maps - pretty helpful for the virtual cockpit since they show buildings and other key navigation points
  2. Google search for navigation - without this feature you essentially have to type in the street address to get it to find anything with the Audi navigation
  3. Send address from Audi app to car - I used this a lot to send locations to the car from my phone for road trips
  4. News and weather from the MMI - I liked being able to pull up the weather on the fly without having to pull out my phone
I really like the Audi MMI so not having these features makes me consider renewing but if you are happy with Apple or Android carplay they may not be valuable to you. There are probably a few other features I forgot about but you get used to not having them after a while. I use SiriusXM so that integrates seamlessly into the MMI.

I do NOT miss the horrible Audi live traffic feature. On several occasions it declared a road closed (even interstates) when it was clearly not closed and would reroute me on all sorts of odd routes. I had to pay close attention to the route to make sure it chose a proper route. The Wi-Fi was also a gimmick and everyone has a hot-spot on their phone now anyway. I think the wi-fi is still a separate package so you can get the other connect features without the wi-fi. That is how I did it years ago.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the trial subscription and did not find any value so I did not purchase the additional time. I did notice that I can still use the app to lock/unlock the car though. That came in handy during this week's road trip.