Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Cracked windshield... what a pain

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cracked windshield... what a pain

So our new Q8 got a cracked windshield from a rock a couple of weeks ago during a long road trip. Just finally got the windshield replaced today with Safelite. No issue with the replacement since they got the windshield for a car with HUD, etc., but now the Lane Assist doesn't seem to notice any lane markings. This obviously means the system needs to be recalibrated so we need to go to a dealer to get that done. Insurance will cover everything, but what a pain the the a$$!

Sorry, just had to vent. It's no big deal, but such a time waster.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get a OEM windshield or Safelite generic?
Old 03-14-2019, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be willing to bet it's only available as OEM at this point
Old 03-15-2019, 03:38 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you go to the dealer after the windshield was replaced to have the cameras calibrated? If not make an appt because after the windshield is replaced the driver assist systems need to be re-calibrated..
Old 03-16-2019, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Driver Assistance Camera Calibration

My lane guidance doesn't work very well and I believe the cameras may need adjustment. I am not sure my dealer has done it properly and was wondering if it is possible for me to perform the procedure. I would appreciate any inputs on that. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, we took the car to the dealer on Friday to have the system calibrated and got an SQ5 loaner for now. We should get the Q8 back on Monday. The windshield had to be ordered from Germany by Safelite. I've been traveling until now so I didn't get a chance to confirm that it's OEM glass, but assume so given the order. I'll be sure to check.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:50 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

It's probably OEM.. Last year in May I had to have the windshield replaced on the Q7 and when I called the insurance company to file the claim they directed me to Safelite. When I spoke to Safelite I requested OEM glass and the person told me that on select vehicles they only use OEM glass. The tech who replaced the windshield told me that in order to prevent possible issues usually on MB, BMW and Audi and a few other brands which he couldn't remember they only use OEM glass..

Funny because back in 2013 I had to have the windshield replaced on our ML, and when I requested OEM glass the Geico rep told me that they would only pay for aftermarket glass which would cost me nothing. But if I wanted OEM I would have to pay the difference which was over $700.. I told them forget it, but when they came to replace the windshield it was OEM glass but I wasn't charged the difference.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
It's probably OEM.. Last year in May I had to have the windshield replaced on the Q7 and when I called the insurance company to file the claim they directed me to Safelite. When I spoke to Safelite I requested OEM glass and the person told me that on select vehicles they only use OEM glass. The tech who replaced the windshield told me that in order to prevent possible issues usually on MB, BMW and Audi and a few other brands which he couldn't remember they only use OEM glass..

Funny because back in 2013 I had to have the windshield replaced on our ML, and when I requested OEM glass the Geico rep told me that they would only pay for aftermarket glass which would cost me nothing. But if I wanted OEM I would have to pay the difference which was over $700.. I told them forget it, but when they came to replace the windshield it was OEM glass but I wasn't charged the difference.
it comes down to this if i correctly understand: if the glass has the audi logo it is the OE windshield. if it is made by the OE supplier, but not badged as audi with the audi logo, i think that is what they call OEM. the OE glass has different QA standards from what i understand and different post manufacture handing and shipping for some items - even though the part is made w the same materials in essentially the same way. think of it like whisky. you can have all the same make. all in the same barrels in the same rick-house, but the higher end buffalo trace brands come thru first and pick all the best barrels first, the then lower tier brands come in to pick from what is left. that is what happens. the very best windshields that turn out perfect get the audi badge and go to audi. same with tvs. the best glass goes to the high end tvs.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 03-30-2023 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW I have had 4 windshields replaced in my Q7. The first 3 were done in my driveway, no calibration, zero issues. Same guy replaced the windshield in my wife's Kia Sorento, which is loaded with all driver assist features. Again, no calibration, no issues.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
FWIW I have had 4 windshields replaced in my Q7. The first 3 were done in my driveway, no calibration, zero issues. Same guy replaced the windshield in my wife's Kia Sorento, which is loaded with all driver assist features. Again, no calibration, no issues.
you live in a dry area...up here in the NW - they only do replacement in the shop with higher end cars, because of the weather risk.