Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

CRANKCASE BREATHER WARRANTY EXT??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 08:09 AM
JOEMB239

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default CRANKCASE BREATHER WARRANTY EXT??

Uh oh, just rec’d this and no idea what is going on…anyone else get one, and what is the issue?

Old 07-23-2023, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I received it as well for my 2021 SQ8 on Friday. I am not sure what happens or the severity. I think it can get clogged and cause the engine to run rough, poor performance and burn oil. I also think a message displays if there is an issue but not sure
Old 07-23-2023, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup, me three.

After all the turmoil over the Electrical Malfunction (which my '22 SQ8 was not subject to because I couldn't find one with the Sport Suspension option) this problem sneaks up on us. I hope it doesn't force the engine to shut down in the middle of the highway. What kind of odds am I offered that there's a three month backorder on these breather valves?
Old 07-23-2023, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by nlk10010
Yup, me three.

After all the turmoil over the Electrical Malfunction (which my '22 SQ8 was not subject to because I couldn't find one with the Sport Suspension option) this problem sneaks up on us. I hope it doesn't force the engine to shut down in the middle of the highway. What kind of odds am I offered that there's a three month backorder on these breather valves?
In the US, no SQ8 has the electrical malfunction because for some reason all US (and I think canadian) SQ8s come with a traditional alternator instead of the belt-driver starter generator.
Old 07-23-2023, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
In the US, no SQ8 has the electrical malfunction because for some reason all US (and I think canadian) SQ8s come with a traditional alternator instead of the belt-driver starter generator.
Well that's a kick in the head, I could have sworn that in the nearly 1000 post Electrical System Malfunction thread numerous people in the US reported their cars throwing the error and almost as many having to wait for three months or more for the replacement part. Since you seem to know quite a bit about this I'll take your word for it and assume that these involved only US RSQ8s, Q8s and other non-Q vehicles. The only thing that befuddles me is why Audi decided to treat the sport suspension in US SQ8s (i.e. the active roll stabilization) differently than in US RSQ8s.

Regardless, thanks for the information.
Old 07-23-2023, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nlk10010
Well that's a kick in the head, I could have sworn that in the nearly 1000 post Electrical System Malfunction thread numerous people in the US reported their cars throwing the error and almost as many having to wait for three months or more for the replacement part. Since you seem to know quite a bit about this I'll take your word for it and assume that these involved only US RSQ8s, Q8s and other non-Q vehicles. The only thing that befuddles me is why Audi decided to treat the sport suspension in US SQ8s (i.e. the active roll stabilization) differently than in US RSQ8s.

Regardless, thanks for the information.
it is puzzling, but yes, no US SQ8 has the electrical issue because audi used the traditional alternator in the US SQ8. There is no insight as to why audi made that decision.
Old 07-23-2023, 04:44 PM
JOEMB239

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

it is puzzling, but yes, no US SQ8 has the electrical issue because audi used the traditional alternator in the US SQ8. There is no insight as to why audi made that decision.
Thomas, what’s your take on this crankcase breather issue, and why do you think Audi just issued the extension? Are they starting to see a lot of cases? And what does this part do for the engine?
Old 07-23-2023, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by joemb239
Thomas, what’s your take on this crankcase breather issue, and why do you think Audi just issued the extension? Are they starting to see a lot of cases? And what does this part do for the engine?
I will ask my service manager friend if they are seeing a lot of cases and what his insights are.

As far as my thoughts:
I've watched a lot of naptowntuner videos on youtube, and he specializes more on 2.0T - my prior audi was a Q3 w the 2.0T engine.

I also watch this whole Opus IVS VW/Audi Crankcase Breather Systems Training video on youtube - the V8 twin turbo doesn't enter the conversation until 52:43:

I do not know which specific parts audi plans to cover because that letter doesn't say. There is probably a TSB, or two I should look up.

At a very hight level the system's purpose together with the PCV valve is to separate the oil and redirect the dirty air for emissions. It's a vacuum based system with hoses and interconnections (depending on the model & design) and audi has tried to generally reduce the complexity over time, but doing that some of the parts end up more complex. Of course there are complexities & nuances in the systems especially in the case of a turbo charged car because the system then needs to constantly change where that air is directed.

If something in the breather / PCV system goes sideways, you can end up with carbon deposits, and it snowballs - sometimes more quickly than others. If it goes in a bad direction quickly you can end up needing new pistons and a new head due to piston wall scoring - all as a result of carbon build up.

I think the 3rd paragraph in the letter you received is audi trying to say they'll fix some specific parts that are part of the breather system, but they won't fix any of the expensive piston / head piston wall damage that may end up resulting from a failed breather system - they want to consider that neglected is my guess.

There's a diaphragm in the PCV valve that across brands and over at least 10 years just wears out. They've tried to improve it by using better material. It still seems like that diaphragm in the PCV is a weak point, but at least in the SQ8 that part is higher up and more external since the cold air is on the outside of the V in the 4.0 twin turbo engines which makes the PCV valve assembly easier to replace.

My understanding on preventing maintenance issues that might snowball in a bad way: You will be best off using the proper oil & premium fuel (from a top end supplier) audi recommends, AND change the oil & filter (air and oil) twice as often as audi recommends. Several of us believe audi's maintenance schedule isn't often enough. Also - try to avoid short trips where the car doesn't full heat up. The whole breather / PCV system works significantly better once the car is fully warm.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 859 Likes on 610 Posts

I will ask my service manager friend if they are seeing a lot of cases and what his insights are.

As far as my thoughts:
I've watched a lot of naptowntuner videos on youtube, and he specializes more on 2.0T - my prior audi was a Q3 w the 2.0T engine.

I also watch this whole Opus IVS VW/Audi Crankcase Breather Systems Training video on youtube - the V8 twin turbo doesn't enter the conversation until 52:43:
https://youtu.be/jcZaenAPFxs?t=3163

I do not know which specific parts audi plans to cover because that letter doesn't say. There is probably a TSB, or two I should look up.

At a very hight level the system's purpose together with the PCV valve is to separate the oil and redirect the dirty air for emissions. It's a vacuum based system with hoses and interconnections (depending on the model & design) and audi has tried to generally reduce the complexity over time, but doing that some of the parts end up more complex. Of course there are complexities & nuances in the systems especially in the case of a turbo charged car because the system then needs to constantly change where that air is directed.

If something in the breather / PCV system goes sideways, you can end up with carbon deposits, and it snowballs - sometimes more quickly than others. If it goes in a bad direction quickly you can end up needing new pistons and a new head due to piston wall scoring - all as a result of carbon build up.

I think the 3rd paragraph in the letter you received is audi trying to say they'll fix some specific parts that are part of the breather system, but they won't fix any of the expensive piston / head piston wall damage that may end up resulting from a failed breather system - they want to consider that neglected is my guess.

There's a diaphragm in the PCV valve that across brands and over at least 10 years just wears out. They've tried to improve it by using better material. It still seems like that diaphragm in the PCV is a weak point, but at least in the SQ8 that part is higher up and more external since the cold air is on the outside of the V in the 4.0 twin turbo engines which makes the PCV valve assembly easier to replace.

My understanding on preventing maintenance issues that might snowball in a bad way: You will be best off using the proper oil & premium fuel (from a top end supplier) audi recommends, AND change the oil & filter (air and oil) twice as often as audi recommends. Several of us believe audi's maintenance schedule isn't often enough. Also - try to avoid short trips where the car doesn't full heat up. The whole breather / PCV system works significantly better once the car is fully warm.
Thanks for sharing. As a geek, I really love these videos and it took me wayyyy back in my own Audi ownership experience.

Oh VAG. Still *sucking* (pun intended) at PCV/AOS. Le fail
Old 07-24-2023, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I got this letter this week.
The following users liked this post:
joemb239 (07-24-2023)

Quick Reply: CRANKCASE BREATHER WARRANTY EXT??