Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Cruise Control False Signals

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for that comment about deleting Lidar. Something to take to the dealer!
Old 04-15-2020, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Good input on LIDAR! Is there a Service Bulletin on that?
Old 04-15-2020, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 798 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by rjabend
Good input on LIDAR! Is there a Service Bulletin on that?
As far as I know no Service Bulletin. Even my dealer was surprised because Audi didn't inform them about this change. They decided to ask Audi HQ and they confirmed that lidars are not installed in 2020 models ( due to the problems in accuracy - as they told me off the record). At least in EU models but i think also no lidars in NA cars.
You can easyly check your 2020 car (Q8, Q7, A6, A7) by reaching into the lidar from below through the grill.

It is a pity that Audi instead of solving problems with the software simply discontinue the faulty option. Audi (Vorsprung durch Technik!), was so proud of this option but after many complains from drivers that this system is buggy they decided to withdraw it completely. I was very disappointed when in my new SQ8 loaded with all available assist options, instead of lidar I have discovered an empty plastic insert.
In 2020 ACC is based on the camera and radar scanner as in older Q7.
The following users liked this post:
yousha (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by retom
As far as I know no Service Bulletin. Even my dealer was surprised because Audi didn't inform them about this change. They decided to ask Audi HQ and they confirmed that lidars are not installed in 2020 models ( due to the problems in accuracy - as they told me off the record). At least in EU models but i think also no lidars in NA cars.
You can easyly check your 2020 car (Q8, Q7, A6, A7) by reaching into the lidar from below through the grill.

It is a pity that Audi instead of solving problems with the software simply discontinue the faulty option. Audi (Vorsprung durch Technik!), was so proud of this option but after many complains from drivers that this system is buggy they decided to withdraw it completely. I was very disappointed when in my new SQ8 loaded with all available assist options, instead of lidar I have discovered an empty plastic insert.
Due to the potential hazards, this may be a candidate for a recall.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by retom

I've got the same feelings of disappointment and frustration when I had discovered void plastic cap instead of laserscanner and after further researches about its withdrawing and current basis of ACC work (one camera and one long range radar). By the way, the only one model with laserscanner still installed is A8. At least in detailed A8-model pdf catalogue on German Audi site this scanner is mentionned in Tour package description.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it's not just me!

Sometimes I've also notice a speed drop by ~1 mph while engaged on an open road (nothing around!). You can feel a hesitation, as if you let off the gas pedal. Not a refined feeling in the least.

You really have to play chess with this technology:

> Someone in front of you pulls into your lane (close) at the same time someone pulls in behind you. What happens if you're not quick enough to see the pending issue and disengage? The vehicle brakes rather significantly and it's all up to the response time of the guy behind you... and you hope he's not prone to road rage!

> You're on slight right curve (or no curve!) riding in the left lane and a car in front of you is exiting (left off-ramp).. I've had my vehicle hit the brakes rather hard - again causing issues with those who may be (too) close behind. I do my best to head off situations like these by steering away from the departing car as much as possible - but many times you're limited by cars in adjacent lanes!

I wish that when the system picks up on your moderate approach to a vehicle straight ahead that it DIDN'T respond by hitting the brakes - but instead considered letting off the gas a bit. This would, based on rate of approach and other factors) potentially avoid the need for it to apply brakes - and not make you look like you're one of those people who must have their foot on one pedal or the other at all times. A little bit of anticipation and controlled coasting goes a long way towards a smoother driving experience.

Yep.... WE'RE ALL BETA TESTERS !!

I am seriously wondering how the super/ultra cruise experience is going to be in the Escalade and (later) Yukon Denali. Something as simple as a better user experience (not to mention hands free!) would be enough for me to switch back to a domestic automaker. My prior vehicle was a Denali ('17?) with adaptive cruise. It had some similar issues like my Q8, but never gave me problems with adjacent semis nor the pulsing sensation (minor speed drops) at speed. PLUS, there was a lot more real estate in that vehicle!

Last edited by BLNT; 06-06-2020 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BLNT
Glad it's not just me!

Sometimes I've also notice a speed drop by ~1 mph while engaged on an open road (nothing around!). You can feel a hesitation, as if you let off the gas pedal. Not a refined feeling in the least.

You really have to play chess with this technology:

> Someone in front of you pulls into your lane (close) at the same time someone pulls in behind you. What happens if you're not quick enough to see the pending issue and disengage? The vehicle brakes rather significantly and it's all up to the response time of the guy behind you... and you hope he's not prone to road rage!

> You're on slight right curve (or no curve!) riding in the left lane and a car in front of you is exiting (left off-ramp).. I've had my vehicle hit the brakes rather hard - again causing issues with those who may be (too) close behind. I do my best to head off situations like these by steering away from the departing car as much as possible - but many times you're limited by cars in adjacent lanes!

I wish that when the system picks up on your moderate approach to a vehicle straight ahead that it DIDN'T respond by hitting the brakes - but instead considered letting off the gas a bit. This would, based on rate of approach and other factors) potentially avoid the need for it to apply brakes - and not make you look like you're one of those people who must have their foot on one pedal or the other at all times. A little bit of anticipation and controlled coasting goes a long way towards a smoother driving experience.

Yep.... WE'RE ALL BETA TESTERS !!

I am seriously wondering how the super/ultra cruise experience is going to be in the Escalade and (later) Yukon Denali. Something as simple as a better user experience (not to mention hands free!) would be enough for me to switch back to a domestic automaker. My prior vehicle was a Denali ('17?) with adaptive cruise. It had some similar issues like my Q8, but never gave me problems with adjacent semis nor the pulsing sensation (minor speed drops) at speed. PLUS, there was a lot more real estate in that vehicle!
That among others is a serious safety issue that I have not seen on other vehicles. The occasional emergency braking is even worse. I have driven the Hyundai Palisade with all the driver assistance features that really work well and I am looking at a Genesis GV80 purchase after a few new owner reports. The NHTSA must be asleep!
Old 06-06-2020, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjabend
That among others is a serious safety issue that I have not seen on other vehicles. The occasional emergency braking is even worse. I have driven the Hyundai Palisade with all the driver assistance features that really work well and I am looking at a Genesis GV80 purchase after a few new owner reports. The NHTSA must be asleep!
Like most other federal agencies, it's probably been stripped of its best people - and replaced with yes men (that also won't want to bother with asking corporations to do anything which might be "inconvenient") !!

Last edited by BLNT; 06-06-2020 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper
Whenever we're on the highway, we experience all sorts of false signals from the adaptive cruise control. The most frequent problem is when passing trucks. Something triggers the sensors and the car puts on the brakes. I've also had braking initiated when the cameras apparently picked up a speed limit sign from a parallel service road. Happened to see the 50 mph sign and just then the car braked and reset the cruise at 50. Dealer says "this is new technology and not perfected yet". Well, I didn't want to get a beta system and apparently one can't turn off the adaptive features and just have plain old cruise control like we've had for 40 plus years. What's also frustrating is that the system isn't as good as an alert driver. Anybody heard of a way to defeat the adaptive features?
Hi Rubber - I'm not sure if you've already resolved this issue. But yes you are able to make changes to this. I also encountered this issue when I first got mine and I got scared when I would be cruising at 70 and then it would read a traffic sign at 40 and then brake hard to accommodate the sign. I don't remember by heart how to change this, but when I get to my car I'll try to get the path for you. But again, you may have already solved for this.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Would appreciate any input. The only adjustment I'm aware of is being able to shorten the distance to cars one is overtaking before the ADC slows you down. But that's not the problem. Elsewhere on the forum it's been said that the 2020 models no longer have Lidar as part of the sensor suite. The dealers are in corporate denial on this.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control False Signals