Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkIndy
No doubt that it is one of the best looking ones out there. How long have you had it? Also, did you do the install or have someone else do it? Do you have any pictures you could share?
It was installed at the dealer on
my request .

See photos of front and back cameras attached.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New Garmin Dash Cans

Garmin announced yesterday the new 47w, 57w, & 67w dashcams. I have found older Garmins to be top quality and the new ones look even better. I really like the voice command feature "OK Garmin" to take pictures or save media.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/731445

Last edited by rjabend; 06-10-2021 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bzmmzmdjs
my request .
Audi UTR is the nicest looking IMHO. For the back view price, I think I'd go with Audi UTR if I would have the dealer go through the trouble of taking the headliner down. I was too worried they would break something.

There are a lot of options out there now, including options that replace the housing around the mirror and build in the camera lens..
It IRO sold on amazon plugs into OBD2 port for power and offers a lot of the same "sensor" recording as UTR/Backview...l
https://www.facebook.com/IRODVR/

Old 06-10-2021, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 137 Likes on 93 Posts

I have heard the quality of the UTR isnt the greatest esp when compared to similarly priced 4k dashcams. I want to know how it goes about parking mode since it supposedly uses the car's sensors to sense any movement around the car
Old 06-10-2021, 12:22 PM
Sk8
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bzmmzmdjs
my request .

See photos of front and back cameras attached.

You should get a BlendMount (BBV-2032) for your front camera. I have the same setup and the BlendMount looks so much better instead of having that adhesive pad attached to the front windshield.

Originally Posted by 1stRS
Audi UTR is the nicest looking IMHO. For the back view price, I think I'd go with Audi UTR if I would have the dealer go through the trouble of taking the headliner down. I was too worried they would break something.

There are a lot of options out there now, including options that replace the housing around the mirror and build in the camera lens..
It IRO sold on amazon plugs into OBD2 port for power and offers a lot of the same "sensor" recording as UTR/Backview...l
https://www.facebook.com/IRODVR/

I would stay away from the IRO dashcam as the supporting software has security/privacy issues. The app they suggest you use requires a lot of unnecessary permissions to access the dashcam.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pabla
I have heard the quality of the UTR isnt the greatest esp when compared to similarly priced 4k dashcams. I want to know how it goes about parking mode since it supposedly uses the car's sensors to sense any movement around the car
I have had UTR for my car for some while now and here are the pros and cons.

pros
1. Integration is bang on
2. Has built in radar for excellent parking mode(and it uses that to sense moment and not the cars sensors)
3. Picture quality is generally good.
4. It records at 60 frames when the car is in dynamic mode and 30 frames otherwise.
5. Blends in really nicely with the car
6. You can get LTE connectivity if you car has the Audi connectivity.

cons
1. Insanely expensive
2. Mobile app is so bad that it’s better to think that it does not exist.
3. No 4K recording
4. Rear camera cannot be placed in vehicles which have rear sun shade.

Best alternative (according to me):-
1. Blackvue DR750X LTE(Built in LTE, No 4K, No radar, brilliant parking mode)
2. Thinkware U1000 (4K,no LTE, radar optional)
3. Blackvue DR900X(4K,LTE optional, no radar)

All three have very good phone app experience. They blend in pretty nicely. I would still get Audi UTR for an Audi because of the pros but if there is limited budget the alternatives are excellent.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 795 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Anmol Singh Sandhu
I have had UTR for my car for some while now and here are the pros and cons.

pros
1. Integration is bang on
2. Has built in radar for excellent parking mode(and it uses that to sense moment and not the cars sensors)
3. Picture quality is generally good.
4. It records at 60 frames when the car is in dynamic mode and 30 frames otherwise.
5. Blends in really nicely with the car
6. You can get LTE connectivity if you car has the Audi connectivity.

cons
1. Insanely expensive
2. Mobile app is so bad that it’s better to think that it does not exist.
3. No 4K recording
4. Rear camera cannot be placed in vehicles which have rear sun shade.

Best alternative (according to me):-
1. Blackvue DR750X LTE(Built in LTE, No 4K, No radar, brilliant parking mode)
2. Thinkware U1000 (4K,no LTE, radar optional)
3. Blackvue DR900X(4K,LTE optional, no radar)

All three have very good phone app experience. They blend in pretty nicely. I would still get Audi UTR for an Audi because of the pros but if there is limited budget the alternatives are excellent.
I have UTR already in my second Audi and I can confirm the above comments. Overall, I am very happy with the UTR and will definitely have it installed in the next car as well if it is Audi.
However, I have 2 additional negative comments:
- the radar sensor in the front camera does not work in a car with a soundproof windshield. It is even marked somewhere in the camera manual.
- UTR recordings cannot be played back on the MMI. I consider this a big oversight for an original Audi camera.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
I have UTR already in my second Audi and I can confirm the above comments. Overall, I am very happy with the UTR and will definitely have it installed in the next car as well if it is Audi.
However, I have 2 additional negative comments:
- the radar sensor in the front camera does not work in a car with a soundproof windshield. It is even marked somewhere in the camera manual.
- UTR recordings cannot be played back on the MMI. I consider this a big oversight for an original Audi camera.
No playback on MMI is kind of a given. If Audi truly wanted better integration they would have just used all the built in cameras. I mean come on, there’s already 4 cameras and plenty of sensors, why require more add-ons.