Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Dealer won't share order information

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrar97
I signed paperwork or order an RSQ8 on 9-4-21. As of today, 10-14-21, the order hasn't been accepted by Audi. I'm in Ohio and the dealer is supposedly the largest in the region and gets order acceptance faster that most dealers around here. Any thoughts on how long the process takes to get the allocation and accept the order?
There have been no allocations for the last 2 months, and will not be any, at least as of what was determined this week, for the rest of this year.

Either find a dealer who has an actual allocation that can change the order (or take what they ordered), or, you'll likely be getting a 2023 at this point
Old 10-15-2021, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by drpesq
After reading -and posting to- this thread and listening to a recent podcast about the chip crisis, I’m super curious whether the Bratislava plant in Slovakia is currently operational? I believe they produce Urus, Q7, Q8, cayenne and Touareg there (the bentayga I believe is partially manufactured in Bratislava then final assembly is elsewhere). They temporarily shut this plant down earlier this year. So I went looking for a good old fashioned webcam to see a live pic of the factory. Couldn’t find one. So who knows whats being made there now?

The only thing bolstering my hopes on an accurate delivery date is that my order is a higher margin car which are supposedly getting production priority.

like many on this board, I’ve not gotten any details from my dealer after the order was confirmed…

On the upside, my trade value should remain strong in this market while waiting for the new car to be produced and delivered.

Best of luck,
David
The margin of the car has zero to do with it. The availability of components is the only determining factor at this point
Old 10-15-2021, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
The margin of the car has zero to do with it. The availability of components is the only determining factor at this point
I have no more information than the next person about the chip shortage, but the explanation I heard as to how they're allocated made sense.

Apparently throughout 2021 chips are provided to the car companies in drastically reduced volume and with unpredictable supply interruptions. But they are being made. So for example, when Audi receives chips, its presumably not allocating them to A4s. The margins on a $114k SQ8 prestige are proportionately higher than a $51k premium plus Q5. I don't think other parts are really slowing production since they're shipping Cayennes with no motor for the steering column, and Audis without TPMS sensors etc... But who knows.

What I didn't mention in my original post was that I first placed my order at my local Audi dealer on August 25th (same model, same spec but I have never done business with them before). By mid September there was no order confirmation, no details - nothing. The sale assoc. candidly told me his estimate of April-May of 22' for delivery. So, I mentioned the situation to the out-of-state dealer I bought my first Audi from in NJ and they converted an existing allocation to my specification. I then inherited the previously set delivery date in mid December. I took back my initial deposit at my local dealer. So that's why I'm particularly curious whether this idea of utilizing an existing allocation is going to really make the difference. Time will tell....

DRP

Old 10-15-2021, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have no more information than the next person about the chip shortage, but the explanation I heard as to how they're allocated made sense.

Apparently throughout 2021 chips are provided to the car companies in drastically reduced volume and with unpredictable supply interruptions. But they are being made. So for example, when Audi receives chips, its presumably not allocating them to A4s. The margins on a $114k SQ8 prestige are proportionately higher than a $51k premium plus Q5. I don't think other parts are really slowing production since they're shipping Cayennes with no motor for the steering column, and Audis without TPMS sensors etc... But who knows.

What I didn't mention in my original post was that I first placed my order at my local Audi dealer on August 25th (same model, same spec but I have never done business with them before). By mid September there was no order confirmation, no details - nothing. The sale assoc. candidly told me his estimate of April-May of 22' for delivery. So, I mentioned the situation to the out-of-state dealer I bought my first Audi from in NJ and they converted an existing allocation to my specification. I then inherited the previously set delivery date in mid December. I took back my initial deposit at my local dealer. So that's why I'm particularly curious whether this idea of utilizing an existing allocation is going to really make the difference. Time will tell....

DRP
I work for Audi.

If margin mattered, they would crank out R8s. The margins don't come into play at this point. They are building as much of what they can, and trying to maintain some semblance of inventory mix. Any way you slice it, production is way down, sales will be way down, revenue will be way down. Especially considering it's coming on the heels of record #'s for Audi in the US, #'s they never achieved previously. Which is why, for example, despite it's price point and range, there are zero 2022 A8's at this point (no order guide, no cars, and my guess is there won't be one).

The only way to do a new order over the last 3 months, and through the rest of this year, is to take an existing vehicle already allocated, and change it. There are no new orders being accepted, for any vehicle, for the forsseable future, regardless if they are presold, or for inventory. As always, and as you found out, and I repeat this all the time on the rarer stuff particularly. An order essentially means nothing. A deposit essentially means nothing (regardless of amount), your "spot in line" with the dealer essentially means nothing. An allocation to actually order the specific model whether it's a Q3, or an R8 or anything in between, is the only thing that matters as far as a placeholder. Only then does an order to the factory, and a deposit, matched to the order by the dealer (Audi USA doesn't care about a deposit, that is something a dealer charges), have any teeth.

Last edited by SCarGuy; 10-15-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 794 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
It is interesting what you write because it seems that, unlike the Q8 or SQ8, when ordering the RSQ8, practically all options are available.
In addition, in Europe, the waiting time for Porsche cars (high margin!) is still 3-4 months, so the same as before the chip crisis.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by retom
It is interesting what you write because it seems that, unlike the Q8 or SQ8, when ordering the RSQ8, practically all options are available.
In addition, in Europe, the waiting time for Porsche cars (high margin!) is still 3-4 months, so the same as before the chip crisis.
I can't speak to, nor am I particularly concerned with Porsche, or VW, or even Audi, anywhere else but here. I have zero insight into how they handle their euro operations. What I do know, is top to bottom, from manufacturing to selling the car, the margins for any Porsche are exponentially more than they are for any Audi. But Audi sells far more cars.

That being said, it stands to reason that if you are going to limit a few items from the equipment list, and frankly, very very limited things were deleted for this year, you do it on your mainline models, and not on your higher tier, halo models. Pretty simply business decision there.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you. I appreciate the info. That's why these boards are such a potential wealth of information.

The "confirmation" I received from the NJ dealer has a COMM# 261796 and the vehicle status says "Factory" It also says Current ETA 12/06/2021-12/18/2021. That was sent to me Sept. 27.

In your opinion does this denote an accepted order on an existing vehicle slot?

Thanks again.
DRP
Old 10-15-2021, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you. I appreciate the info. That's why these boards are such a potential wealth of information.

The "confirmation" I received from the NJ dealer has a COMM# 261796 and the vehicle status says "Factory" It also says Current ETA 12/06/2021-12/18/2021. That was sent to me Sept. 27.

In your opinion does this denote an accepted order on an existing vehicle slot?

Thanks again.
DRP
yes, that is a confirmed order with Audi Flemington. The dates as far as production (currently calls for production completion of 11/3). ETA 12/9-12/29. Keep in mind, this all can, and often does, change a bit. Not always, but sometimes.

Enjoy it! I have a near identical one coming
The following users liked this post:
drpesq (10-15-2021)