Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Does Q8 have "traffic Jam Assist"

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does Q8 have "traffic Jam Assist"

Hi all after admiring the Q8 for a number of years I ended up picking up a 2019 Q8 prestige in Daytona Grey. So far loving the vehicle, however, had a question regarding the Active Driving Assist features. My understanding had been that the prestige model came with all the Active Assist features including "Traffic Jam Assist". However, after looking through the menus, and confirmed by the local Audi dealer, my vehicle does not have Traffic Jam Assist. Further looking into it appears that many early 2019 Q8s had the Traffic Jam Assist listed on the window sheet, while later in the 2019 model year it appeared to be missing from most (all?) vehicles. Even looking at the current 2023 model I am not seeing Traffic Jam Assist listed as a feature. Did Audi just drop the feature or bake it into the standard active driving assist or is there truly something different about "traffic Jam Assist"?

Additional question regarding the Lane centering, I have seen some owners mention the ability to switch between early and late lane centering, this does not appear to be an option on my vehicle. Again curious if I am missing an active assist feature or did Audi just change the software and this is no longer an option to adjust the lane centering function?
Old 12-10-2022, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 803 Likes on 614 Posts

1/ From MY2020 "Traffic Jam Assist" is not a separate function and became a part of ACC.
Here is the Audi description how it works:

Adaptive cruise control (with Stop&Go function)

Adaptive cruise control (ACC) offers relief to drivers especially on long trips and in stop-and-go traffic. It maintains a preset distance to the vehicle ahead by automatically accelerating and braking. The driver can choose from five distance levels and adjust acceleration and control system dynamics with Audi drive select.

The system uses radar sensors and a front camera. They detect vehicles ahead and measure the distance to them. In interplay with S tronic or tiptronic, the system covers the entire speed range from 0 to 250 km/h (155.3 mph). With a manual transmission, it starts at 30 km/h (18.6 mph). When the system is deactivated, the distance indicator shows the distance to the car ahead and warns drivers when they are tailgating. Its operating speed range is 60 km/h (37.3 mph) and above.

When combined with S tronic or tiptronic, ACC also includes the Stop&Go function. In heavy traffic, it autonomously decelerates the car to a stop. After a brief stop, it automatically resumes driving, following the vehicle ahead. After a longer stop, the driver must tap the accelerator pedal or the control stalk on the steering column. In addition to the radar sensors and front camera, ultrasonic sensors also monitor the vehicle’s immediate surroundings.
2/ You can only change in MMI the strength of steering wheel vibration.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Retom, that was the impression I was getting that it was just rolled into the active assist bucket...thanks for the confirmation. My Q8 was Nov of 2019 so seems like it was getting the 2020 software then.

My biggest gripe with the active assist at the moment is that I get the "put your hands on the wheel" warning while I have my hands on the wheel at times when not much input is required. I wonder if an Audi dealer has an ability to adjust the sensitivity?
Old 12-11-2022, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If a function is not available from the user level, dealers usually does not agree to do such changes, especially those related to the security. After making changes not foreseen by the manufacturer, the dealer is liable in case of any mishap.
Besides, as far as I remember, in MY2020+ it is not possible to set these parameters also from the coding level.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by joelkamp
Thanks Retom, that was the impression I was getting that it was just rolled into the active assist bucket...thanks for the confirmation. My Q8 was Nov of 2019 so seems like it was getting the 2020 software then.

My biggest gripe with the active assist at the moment is that I get the "put your hands on the wheel" warning while I have my hands on the wheel at times when not much input is required. I wonder if an Audi dealer has an ability to adjust the sensitivity?
I believe somewhere in this forum, it was noted that 2019 model years did not have the capacitive steering wheels and rely on some sort of weight or force so every so often, you have to jiggle or move the steering wheel to tell the system your hands are on the wheel. The newer capacitive systems don't require this, they can sense if you lightly just hold the wheel. My 2021 only requires a light touch with 2 fingers.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 407 Likes on 345 Posts

this guy is cheating the system with weight, but i think you could add something capacitive into the mix, maybe a piece of foil wrapped neoprene...and that would give you weight and capacitance.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HDCL
I believe somewhere in this forum, it was noted that 2019 model years did not have the capacitive steering wheels and rely on some sort of weight or force so every so often, you have to jiggle or move the steering wheel to tell the system your hands are on the wheel. The newer capacitive systems don't require this, they can sense if you lightly just hold the wheel. My 2021 only requires a light touch with 2 fingers.
Yeah I clearly don't have the capacitive system, I definitely need to wiggle the wheel every once and while even with hands on. Happy to hear they rectified this, but bummed 2019s missed out, as a capacitive system is much better . Oh well I guess a reason to upgrade in a few years.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Audi started loading the capacitive system in 2021, I believe. Or even 2020
Old 12-11-2022, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by coolguyha
Audi started loading the capacitive system in 2021, I believe. Or even 2020
Capacitive steering wheel was introduced in MY2021 together with MIB3. The disadvantage is that in these models you can't order the flat bottom steering wheel.

Last edited by retom; 12-12-2022 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Capacitive steering wheel was introduced in MY2022 together with MIB3. The disadvantage is that in these models you can't order the flat bottom steering wheel.
In the US at least it was 2021, my 21 has it. I don't have to actually provide input to the wheel, just graze the wheel with my hand.

Quick Reply: Does Q8 have "traffic Jam Assist"