Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Tesla syndrome.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
I'll admit, I am confused with people saying it ping pongs unless you're not driving with your hands on the wheel...it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do
Are you saying that it should ping-pong if your hands are not on the wheel or are you saying it should ping-pong when your hands are on the wheel? Please clarify.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shouldn’t ping pong with hands off wheel especially in stop go. But it does. However I have to test more as I set I believe it’s presence to early I believe and last night it didn’t seem to hug lines so much and ping pong when I just barely had finger on wheel. Seemed better but have to test more
Old 01-12-2019, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by rjabend
Are you saying that it should ping-pong if your hands are not on the wheel or are you saying it should ping-pong when your hands are on the wheel? Please clarify.
if your hands are on the wheel you are controlling the car - the system is in place primarily to prevent the car from careening into the next lane if god forbid a driver falls asleep etc

Old 01-12-2019, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But with hands off wheel it should try and stay centered not go all the way and hug one line then overadjust and go all the way over and hug the other line. Which is primarliy what it would do in stop and go.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cbl1
But with hands off wheel it should try and stay centered not go all the way and hug one line then overadjust and go all the way over and hug the other line. Which is primarliy what it would do in stop and go.

you're driving a 4000 lb vehicle moving at almost 100 feet per second....why are your hands off the wheel? or even in stop and go. You are the driver....you're not a passenger, so you are to control the vehicle, the vehicle is not intended nor should be counted on to do it for you. That's why they "hey pay attention" warning chimes once your hands are off the wheel for 20 seconds

It is not advertised as, nor should it be compared to or construed as a self driving car. It is there as a failsafe.

Having owned several cars with this tech, it's one of those things where people project what they think it should do, vs doing a slight amount of reading (owners manual or otherwise) to learn what the system is, and is not.

Last edited by SCarGuy; 01-12-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

if your hands are on the wheel you are controlling the car - the system is in place primarily to prevent the car from careening into the next lane if god forbid a driver falls asleep etc

That is not what the manual says. Lane guidance is supposed to keep you centered in the lane.

From the manual:
"Within the limits of the system, lane guidance
provides corrective steering to assist the driver
with keeping the vehicle in the center of the lane
as much as possible."

Ping-Ponging back and forth to each lane perimeter extreme clearly does not meet the above definition.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rjabend
That is not what the manual says. Lane guidance is supposed to keep you centered in the lane.

From the manual:
"Within the limits of the system, lane guidance
provides corrective steering to assist the driver
with keeping the vehicle in the center of the lane
as much as possible."

Ping-Ponging back and forth to each lane perimeter extreme clearly does not meet the above definition.
yes, when your hands are not on the wheel, involuntarily

common sense says if you're driving, your hands are on the wheel, unless you are incapacitated, or asleep

I guess you're all choosing to ignore '"within the limits of system guidance" "assist the driver" and "as much as possible"

you've all been driving for how many years? when you're awake, and alert, and your hands are on the wheel, explain how hard it is to keep a car centered in its lane?

If you insist on complaining that your non self driving car isn't self driving, then, I guess, idk

Last edited by SCarGuy; 01-12-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

yes, when your hands are not on the wheel, involuntarily

common sense says if you're driving, your hands are on the wheel, unless you are incapacitated, or asleep

I guess you're all choosing to ignore '"within the limits of system guidance" "assist the driver" and "as much as possible"

you've all been driving for how many years? when you're awake, and alert, and your hands are on the wheel, explain how hard it is to keep a car centered in its lane?
You are confusing "Lane Departure Warning" with "Lane Guidance":
"The lane departure warning can detect lane
marker lines within the limits of the system. If
you are approaching a detected lane marker and
it appears likely that you will leave the lane, the
system can warn you with corrective steering and
a steering wheel vibration, if necessary."

You may want to review the manual to confirm the above! Also note that the Lane Departure should not cause the car to ping-pong back and forth within the lane!!
Old 01-12-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

lane departure warning is part of lane assist

A new optional system in the family is Audi active lane assist, which activates at a speed of 65 km/h (40.39 mph). A video camera in the interior mirror identifies the lane markings on the road surface. If the vehicle approaches a lane marking without the turn signal having been activated, the system gently intervenes in the electromechanical steering to coax the driver to remain in their lane.

Drivers use the MMI to specify how quickly this assistance system should intervene as well as whether the steering wheel should correspondingly vibrate. If a driver selects the “late” setting, then the system will intervene just before the vehicle can cross a detected lane marking. This configuration is especially beneficial if the driver inadvertently veers out of their current lane owing to, for instance, inattentiveness. If a driver selects the “early” setting, then Audi active lane assist will gently and continuously correct steering to ensure the vehicle remains in the middle of the lane. This latest generation of lane-departure warning technology lastingly eases the burden on drivers and thus enhances driving comfort.

I've been trained extensively on these systems, and have it in my own car, so I'm well aware of what it is intended to do, and designed and programmed to do, and when

Last edited by SCarGuy; 01-12-2019 at 05:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Question