Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a $90k vehicle (or in a $20k vehicle) I’d expect features we paid for (or that help meet government EPA regs) do not put the driver and occupants in danger. (It is my opinion that a throttle delay of 4-5 seconds can and will cause accidents and possibly loss of life in a turning left or right situation. I have already experienced a scary situation.)

We have a major defect that is called “as designed” that defaults on every time you start. I expect any automaker to respond with a fix. I am disappointed.

I am feeling bit let down.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/10/re...breaking-flaw/
Old 06-11-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just read the article and I totally agree with the performance aspects and lack thereof. It was so obvious on my first of 5 test drives that something was wrong. It took some time to duplicate the exact scenarios under which it happened.

The Lack of Throttle when you need it, is as dangerous and no brakes when you need and expect those to work.

I test drove the Q8 so many times because I was trying to find a combination of settings to allow me to feel safe and comfortable that the 83K vehicle I spec'd would not be source of daily frustration.

In the end I could not and hart broken, I passed on the Q8.

I started a case at AOA that was escalated and I highly suggest that any current owners that are experiencing these issue pile on at AOA or it will never get fixed.

New cars have bugs, and I was prepared for the occasional hiccup in tech, but not the 2-3 second delay in acceleration making a left with oncoming traffic.

I fear it will take a tragic accident, and class action lawsuit to get this fixed and I sure hope Audi get this fixed before someone gets hurt.

I have since purchased something else but I keep in touch here because if the throttle lag gets resolved, I would but the Q8 or perhaps the SQ8 or RSQ8 provided they are within my budget.

If I could drop the Q8 body on top of the 5 series 540 I X drive everything else and raise it up a bit, I would have the perfect vehicle for ME !

Come on Audi FIX this !

Turning the Auto S/S off is not a complete fix although driving in Dynamic with A/S/S off helps a bit (but not to my complete satisfaction) however, my wife and kids can end up behind the wheel at times and I am not willing to chance it that they ALWAYS remember to disable this and activate that to set the car up to not be dangerous to drive.

Originally Posted by cheetos72
In a $90k vehicle (or in a $20k vehicle) I’d expect features we paid for (or that help meet government EPA regs) do not put the driver and occupants in danger. (It is my opinion that a throttle delay of 4-5 seconds can and will cause accidents and possibly loss of life in a turning left or right situation. I have already experienced a scary situation.)

We have a major defect that is called “as designed” that defaults on every time you start. I expect any automaker to respond with a fix. I am disappointed.

I am feeling bit let down.

Last edited by Jsf721; 06-11-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jsf721
Turning the Auto S/S off is not a complete fix although driving in Dynamic with A/S/S off helps a bit (but not to my complete satisfaction) however, my wife and kids can end up behind the wheel at times and I am not will to chance it that they ALWAYS remember to disable this and activate that to set the car up to not be dangerous to drive.
This is the thing. I've basically programmed myself to disengage the stop/start whenever I get in the car (although I occasionally forget) but there's no way my wife will remember to do this the half-dozen times a year we may swap cars. Fortunately, she's a bit more of a cautious driver than I am, but you never know when you will need the engine to do what it ordinarily is supposed to do. I've basically decided that I'm going to find another car in the next couple of months - the financial hit will be significant, but its not worth the risk of injury or death. It's too bad as but for this, the Q8 is generally a fine vehicle, but one that I lost enthusiasm for pretty quickly. First Audi of about a dozen that I've ever felt this way about.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Before you take the hit, call Audi and tell them to make it right-Fix it or take t back. If they wont take it for service and don't accept it back until fixed and go the lemon law route. No reason for you to be left holding the bag on a defective vehicle.

The NTSB will also be interested to hear form you.

Originally Posted by mike99
This is the thing. I've basically programmed myself to disengage the stop/start whenever I get in the car (although I occasionally forget) but there's no way my wife will remember to do this the half-dozen times a year we may swap cars. Fortunately, she's a bit more of a cautious driver than I am, but you never know when you will need the engine to do what it ordinarily is supposed to do. I've basically decided that I'm going to find another car in the next couple of months - the financial hit will be significant, but its not worth the risk of injury or death. It's too bad as but for this, the Q8 is generally a fine vehicle, but one that I lost enthusiasm for pretty quickly. First Audi of about a dozen that I've ever felt this way about.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:32 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the fully load YR1 Q8 Prestige and love it. Yes, the start/stop is annoying as it is on every car. I turn it off every time - just like we do in our Panamera turbo. Not a big deal. Getting audi or the ntsb to listen about this is never going to happen! If anyone thinks otherwise then go try and report back. Lemon law also won't work because the system is not defective.. It's just annoying. Deal with it or don't buy an audi q8, A7, a6, a8 etc.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think I'd be hard pressed to have Audi take it back. I don't know if I would call it defective - that seems to be a stretch. Same with the lemon law. I'll submit a report to the NTSB though - that cannot hurt.

Follow up...I did submit it to the NTSB. Here's the link for anyone else. It takes 5 minutes - you'll need your VIN. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Last edited by mike99; 06-11-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think you are confusing dangerous throttle lag. With the start stop annoyance.

Im talking about the acceleration not happening when you expect or need it to creating a situation where you can get hurt.

To me thats defective and a lemon. And that’s why I have not pulled the trigger on this or any of the other mild hybrids Audi is producing.

Originally Posted by f10
I have the fully load YR1 Q8 Prestige and love it. Yes, the start/stop is annoying as it is on every car. I turn it off every time - just like we do in our Panamera turbo. Not a big deal. Getting audi or the ntsb to listen about this is never going to happen! If anyone thinks otherwise then go try and report back. Lemon law also won't work because the system is not defective.. It's just annoying. Deal with it or don't buy an audi q8, A7, a6, a8 etc.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tomk
Yes, you can turn it off, but will come back on when you restart the car. Button is on lower panel and near garage door button so not a reach to turn off both. Can also defeat by pulling gear shift back to engage Sport Mode.
I did this today and no issues for me. I do drive in stop and go traffic. No problems. It’s just one extra button to press after I close the garage door. I am on day 4 of ownership. I will do this for now. Hopefully, a permanent fix will happen.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I truly am glad you’re enjoying your Q8 but please complain to your dealer so this issue can be fixed.

Say you go to dinner and decide to have a few and ask the wife or GF to drive home. She does not expect the lack of acceleration and boom you have a problem.

This needs to be fixed.

Originally Posted by jmk1
I did this today and no issues for me. I do drive in stop and go traffic. No problems. It’s just one extra button to press after I close the garage door. I am on day 4 of ownership. I will do this for now. Hopefully, a permanent fix will happen.

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue