Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think as far as the Audi issue is concerned we all experience the same issue but perceive it differently depending on how we use the vehicle and our driving style.

A common thread is the lag can cause major issue when you expect a car to accelerate and it does not .Like making a left into traffic.

Originally Posted by McGriddle
We had a very similar problem in our previous BMW X1 with an Aisin 8-speed auto. The throttle lag during certain maneuvers, especially left turns into oncoming traffic, was terrible and sounds very similar to what everyone is describing here. When you give about 50% throttle, the car just hesitates for around 1 - 2 second before moving at all. It was not turbo lag as the car didn't even move as if the transmission was not going into gear and the car wouldn't even roll forward like when you take your foot off the brake when stopped and in D.

However, I haven't noticed this behavior in the Q8. In our Q8 I've only noticed turbo lag which can be substantial especially if you catch the transmission in the wrong gear. For example, I've only noticed significant turbo lag when slowing down to about 5 - 10 mph and then try to accelerate quickly (not coming to a full stop). The transmission at that moment seems to want to be in neutral to coast and when you start giving a sudden throttle input, it chooses the wrong gear, like 3rd and then either slowly accelerates or with more throttle it takes a second to downshift and accelerate. I've noticed this with all my cars that have used the ZF 8-speed auto. This includes my previous Jaguar F-Type S AWD and my current 2018 RS5. Both of those cars exhibited this behavior as well and I've adapted to the driving style. The RS5, for example, will downshift and explosively accelerate if caught in the wrong gear especially with ADS in Auto mode (e.g. goes temporarily into Dynamic setting).

From a full stop (e.g. at a stop sign) and not rolling, I haven't seen throttle lag in the Q8. In the X1, from a full stop, it would randomly not do anything when you gave it more than 25% throttle. You could even got full WOT and nothing would happen for 2 seconds.

Comparing the Q8 to the X1 (both are my wife's car), it seems very different to me. My wife and I would endlessly complain that the X1 was trying to kill us.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On my first trip to the dealer, the lag did not happen on a test drive. Nonetheless my complaint was registered.

I also just filed a complaint with NHTSA. Here's the link, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/?

Please join me in filing a complaint to get this issue addressed.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6+ months of ownership; 9300 miles. The issue as discussed here has happened multiple times with several, at least a dozen, episodes. Now in service at a competing dealership for 10k service and assessment of the 'lag'. Reviewed in detail w/ SA, who acknowledges previous complaints to him. I doubt that diagnostics will reveal any sort of code, since 'it operates as engineered'. I recommended that they check the firmware and software versions of my vehicle and update if newer versions available. Also, if I am on current up to date firmware and software; please reflash for the engine and transmission; if there are separate programs. At least now my complaints and concerns are 'in the record'. Previously, I had visited my purchasing dealership; and no official service record was generated. I have also registered an official complaint with AoA. I am creating a paper trail for future use should it ever be necessary. FWIW, they gave me a Q8 loaner w/8000k miles. Seems different. Though I will try to stimulate the lag.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question:
A poster said he wished the Q8 had a sport option that turned off the start/stop.
I said that the A6 and A7 had this option and it worked beautifully. I thought the power train for the Q8 was identical
Not only does it turn off the start-stop, but driving in "sport/dynamic" eliminates all this "lag" stuff

So my question remains: Does the Q8 have the sport setting
Old 06-27-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It has a dynamic setting that is the closest to a sport setting.

It it does not stop the lag totally but helps. I am not sure if it disables auto stop start.

I passed on the Q8 for now until this is resolved. It was too dangerous to drive in the hustle and bustle of NY not knowing when the car wouldn’t accelerate when I needed it to.

Originally Posted by Alphatero
I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question:
A poster said he wished the Q8 had a sport option that turned off the start/stop.
I said that the A6 and A7 had this option and it worked beautifully. I thought the power train for the Q8 was identical
Not only does it turn off the start-stop, but driving in "sport/dynamic" eliminates all this "lag" stuff

So my question remains: Does the Q8 have the sport setting
Old 06-27-2019, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The only way to disable auto start/stop is to disable it via the related switch. There is no drive mode that automatically disables it. That should be fairly obvious. There wouldn't be threads here on how to disable the start/stop software or how you just need to establish a habit pattern of starting the car and disabling the feature manually if the operation of the vehicle in a particular drive mode did so automatically.

Last edited by BigHat; 06-27-2019 at 06:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lungs414 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Sport mode

I am surprised that no one has discussed this oversight prior to this in this thread. (I haven't read the entire thread)

My Q8 has Sport mode on the shifter. Just pull down on the shifter again after engaging Drive mode and you are in Sport mode. At this point, Start/Stop is disabled. I have never experienced this "Lag" in Sport mode.

Start/Stop still kicks in once you put the car in Park.

Maybe just in the US cars??

GW
Old 06-27-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When you select "Dynamic" you automatically select the "Sport" drive mode too, but it doesn't turn off the auto start/stop -- unless my vehicle is defective. There are many things that preclude the auto stop/start from operating such as battery state, load on the car due to accessory use, engine operating temp, slopes/inclines and driving behavior (manual page 100). Nothing about a drive mode is listed as a reason it may be disabled.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am not using Dynamic mode. The only thing I do is pull down twice on the shift **** and it puts the transmission (Vehicle?) in Sport mode. In almost 9000 miles of driving this way, I have NEVER had Start/Stop engage. The only time I get Start/Stop is when my wife is driving and she leaves the car in D mode. Or when I put the car in Park.
The following users liked this post:
jmk1 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gkendallw
I am not using Dynamic mode. The only thing I do is pull down twice on the shift **** and it puts the transmission (Vehicle?) in Sport mode. In almost 9000 miles of driving this way, I have NEVER had Start/Stop engage. The only time I get Start/Stop is when my wife is driving and she leaves the car in D mode. Or when I put the car in Park.
So you're saying that manually selecting "Sport" vs using a drive mode that by definition includes selecting "Sport" makes a difference? And that the list of reasons in the owner's manual as to why auto stop/start isn't enabled lacks any reference to using the "Sport" mode to disable it? And despite pages and pages of discussion on how to disable Auto Stop/Start by ANY other means than turning it off manually, we all just missed just putting it in "Sport"? Okay, the manual truly SUCKs to the point people are looking for the non-existent fragrance generators, etc, so we can't rely on it to be accurate I guess, but your suggestion isn't working my US spec vehicle, but I'm glad it solved the problem for you.
I know you wrote that you didn't read the entire thread, so I guess we should also RESTATE that this thread is about a dangerous lag in throttle response for an undiscovered reason, but many have determined occurs in their car even after manually disabling auto stop/start. So coming up with an alternative means of turning it off, doesn't address the problem is the eyes of many that have experienced the phenomena with that feature disabled already.

Last edited by BigHat; 06-27-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue