Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 03:44 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsf721
Well I didn’t meant to upset anyone. To answer your questions

why am I here ? I’d like to get a Q8 if this problem gets fixed.

Not rising to lemon law. Wrong. If the service department cannot fix an issue that I can continually cause to Happen I believe I’d win that case and more importantly Audi would buy my car back before I got to far down the lemon law route.

So to everyone one who has adjusted their driving style, found a setting that works for you. I’m happy for you. Enjoy your vehicle in the best of health. But I won’t settle on any car let alone a 84k plus tax build.

I think this this thread I saturated enough to prevent anyone from on here from buying a Q8 without at least vetting this issue that’s been detailed. I’d be pissed if I purchased the car and then discovered this issue. I saw it right away maybe because it’s the way I drive. Maybe I’m more sensitive or aware of the lag but it’s a deal breaker for me and I wouldn’t want my wife and kids driving it either.

I’ m only trying to help alert others and all I want is this fixed for myself and the rest of you.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.
I don't think you upset anyone. You certainly do not upset me. I just think you don't add anything to the conversation here, and I want to make that clear. Understand?
The following users liked this post:
critter6835 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well then don’t respond , there’s a novel idea....understand?

Seems to me you're adjusting your driving style instead of working to solve the problem. Like how an Ostrich puts its head in the sand and thinks all is good in the world.

Have you even read this thread? I’ve
had plenty of people agree with my outline of the throttle lag issue and what I’ve posted. I’ve had people thank me that I saved them from making a mistake because they didn’t notice the issue on their test drive and gone back to re check it and passed on the Q8 because of it.

My guess is your just wanting someone to agree with you to make you feel better about your purchase. That is what I understand.

Have a great night I'm done discussing anything with you. Understand ? I’m Only here to help make sure anyone thinking of buying doesn’t get stuck and I only stayed on the forum to monitor to see if and when this problem that I think can be dangerous is fixed.

I’m glad your happy. Enjoy your Q8.

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
I don't think you upset anyone. You certainly do not upset me. I just think you don't add anything to the conversation here, and I want to make that clear. Understand?

Last edited by Jsf721; 07-21-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Neurobit (11-20-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:48 PM
Q8

Well then don’t respond , there’s a novel idea....understand?

Seems to me you're adjusting your driving style instead of working to solve the problem. Like how an Ostrich puts its head in the sand and thinks all is good in the world.

Have you even read this thread? I’ve
had plenty of people agree with my outline of the throttle lag issue and what I’ve posted. I’ve had people thank me that I saved them from making a mistake because they didn’t notice the issue on their test drive and gone back to re check it and passed on the Q8 because of it.

My guess is your just wanting someone to agree with you to make you feel better about your purchase. That is what I understand.

Have a great night I'm done discussing anything with you. Understand ? I’m Only here to help make sure anyone thinking of buying doesn’t get stuck and I only stayed on the forum to monitor to see if and when this problem that I think can be dangerous is fixed.

I’m glad your happy. Enjoy your Q8.
I subscribed to this thread because I had noticed an issue and wanted to talk with other Q8 owners about the topic. I acknowledge that there is an issue, but I'm not sure that the issue is the fault of Audi. A lot of it seems to be related to how the driver is operating the vehicle.

You criticize me for adjusting my driving style to operate a vehicle...and supposedly not doing anything to fix an issue. I think I am doing the right thing by driving the vehicle the way it was intended to.

I think that you have made your point. You think there is something wrong and it is dangerous. Understood. It's time for you to move along if you don't have anything constructive to add.
The following 6 users liked this post by SoundsoftheSuburbs:
aechazu (07-23-2019), Alphatero (07-21-2019), critter6835 (07-21-2019), dwboston (07-23-2019), jmk1 (07-21-2019), TulsaTime (08-09-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-22-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

SouindsoftheSuburbs---I see where you say you drive the vehicle the way Audi intended it to be driven. I doubt Audi intended to have the car's acceleration delayed when turning left against traffic. Audi does not instruct drivers on how to avoid life or death situations when one finds a delay in acceleration at a critical point in driving.

Audi refused to allow the purchaser to turn off s/s and have it remain off upon restart. One cannot fix Audi's refusal by adjusting one's driving.

"I feel like the lagging acceleration with the start/stop feature on has caused me to miss a protected left light or two. It can be so bad that I worry that the people behind me are going to blow their horn. It can be scary when trying to cut through cross traffic." SoundsodtheSuburb. This happened to you despite you driving it the way Audi intended it to be driven?
Old 07-22-2019, 07:28 AM
Q8

Originally Posted by JeffSmith
SouindsoftheSuburbs---I see where you say you drive the vehicle the way Audi intended it to be driven. I doubt Audi intended to have the car's acceleration delayed when turning left against traffic. Audi does not instruct drivers on how to avoid life or death situations when one finds a delay in acceleration at a critical point in driving.

Audi refused to allow the purchaser to turn off s/s and have it remain off upon restart. One cannot fix Audi's refusal by adjusting one's driving.

"I feel like the lagging acceleration with the start/stop feature on has caused me to miss a protected left light or two. It can be so bad that I worry that the people behind me are going to blow their horn. It can be scary when trying to cut through cross traffic." SoundsodtheSuburb. This happened to you despite you driving it the way Audi intended it to be driven?
That was weeks ago before I figured out what I was doing. I've only had mine since the end of May.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All
I have a 2018 Q5 that I got in 2017 and I have 21k miles. The lag affects all the Audis with the Ultra Quattro. I was going to get rid of my Q5 until the dealer did a throttle adjustment and it is vastly improved. I still have "dead" time especially in stop and go traffic and after stopping at a stop sign then gassing. At this point, its really just the transmission getting "lost" in that low RPM below 500 where you have to feather the gas pedal. Remember the Ultra Quattro is a front wheel drive system primarily not all wheel drive like the Quattro system found in 2017 Q5 and new SQ5s. Just my 2 cents..
Old 07-23-2019, 08:38 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Audi better fix this before the Q7 release or they'll lose my business.
IndyRon (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an open Case with Audi and since my complaint was verified by a dealer salesperson on my test drive and service Mamager it’s been escalated. No date or promises were made. From my conversations with Audi and their customer satisfaction department I believe the issue is easy to fix, BUT it comes at the expense of MPG. And after the spanking they get from the diesel gate Volkswagon fines they are very gun shy to do anything that will lower MPG.

The problem is the programming of the transmission is to jump to the highest gear that won’t bog down the engine. That limits the cars ability to accelerate after coasting down from a higher speed. The car assumes you want to slow down and coasts in a high gear. If you want to accelerate it takes to long to get in the right gear to go.
I sure hope they fix it but I couldn’t wait any longer. I’d snap one up as quickly as they fix it properly provided something else more enticing does t come to market.

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Audi better fix this before the Q7 release or they'll lose my business.

Last edited by Jsf721; 07-23-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is the programming of the transmission is to jump to the highest gear that won’t bog down the engine. That limits the cars ability to accelerate after coasting down from a higher speed. The car assumes you want to slow down and coasts in a high gear. If you want to accelerate it takes to long to get in the right gear to go.
I sure hope they fix it but I couldn’t wait any longer. I’d snap one up as quickly as they fix it properly provided something else more enticing does t come to market.
This is exactly what it feels like to me. I had even commented back in February with "To me, it seems that the transmission doesn't go into a lower gear when the engine cuts off unless you come to a complete stop."

I just made a habit of turning of the S/S feature before we shift out of Park or shift into "S" mode. I don't see the issue as a deal breaker for the car, just a minor annoyance that will hopefully be fixed with a software update soon. I do agree though that it can be very dangerous in certain situations.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have had our Q8 since December and cannot stand the "lag" . Looking for APR to do a new tune for the vehicle that would hopefully eliminate this. There is abviously an mpg issue that Audi doesn't want to get close to again.

Wish I could buy the Euro SQ8 Tdi - I'd buy 2 today!

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue