Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To be honest, if their are VAG group marketing execs trawling these threads (you should be) no-one who experiences the fault gives a **** how the problems is caused they just want someone to resolve it, period! I'm guessing.
The following 2 users liked this post by welshrabbit:
Kevin64 (01-21-2020), Neurobit (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Baloo588, I feel your pain. There was a Kia Stinger behind me and as we slowed down it accelerated and quickly changed lanes. And I just stayed there because I had no clue what my car would or wouldn't do. All that was missing from that picture was for an older grandmother in an old Volvo to give me thumbs up for safe driving .

I just looked at that review on cars.com - they tested a 2019 Q8. For certain, and for their brand, I hope this same issue doesn't infect its 2020 lineup. I've heard from a few there is no lag in those.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CEBUSA
So if the issue is transmission, what's the deal with people claiming they don't have the issue? I'd assume all the transmissions would come from the same source vice multiple vendors for some piece parts. Are we thinking people without the problem are less aggressive drivers? Some reviewers of the current A7s/Q8s have identified the problem while others have not. Based on what I've read from others on forums and what I've also been told from Audi HQ, I'd think everyone with these models would be impacted.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Driving aggressiveness. If you like to drive at least somewhat aggressively, don't use Comfort (except on the highway) and turn off S/S. If you're concerned about mileage, you probably wouldn't (shouldn't) have bought the Q8. S/S was engineered to help the car cos achieve their mpg targets. The first car I had it on was a 2016. Managed just fine without it for 40 years. The only annoyance is that we can't keep it off.
The following users liked this post:
Alphatero (01-15-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

One kick, Vasily, one kick only.
The following 3 users liked this post by TulsaTime:
AEC33 (01-20-2020), Chiclet11 (01-20-2020), htxq8 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue

I've had my Q8 for about 6 months now and regularly experience the same issue. It's infuriating for the most part but downright frightening when making a left turn or trying to merge with incoming traffic out of a parking lot. When trying to make an aggressive maneuver to get onto a road, the car literally coasts for a couple of seconds until the power comes on abruptly. Doesn't happen every time, but it happens far more than it should. I'm coming up on a scheduled service so I will definitely let the dealer know, but it's disheartening to see that they haven't found a fix for it yet. I will say that I have found *some* resolution by turning ESC off (which automatically turns off start/stop system as well), but I don't think that's a reliable solution.

This isn't my only issue with the Q8, but it is the most critical. Otherwise, it does everything very well which makes it a shame. If Audi can't find a solution quickly, I'm afraid I'll be done with this company sooner than intended.
Neurobit (01-21-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lag/delay

I reported this to my dealer. Let’s hope for a recall, this is a dangerous problem. Probably would reconsider my purchase because of it. Bought my q8 in September.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I tried sport mode. I turned off Start/Stop and traction stability. I still experienced an awful delay with the throttle response from my Audi the other day. I have seen the RPMs go up quickly to 5k with no movement of the vehicle at all. The Dealerships are aware of this problem, but they have no fix. However, this is not safe.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I have driven several Q8’s in the past week at my local dealer as no one vehicle was fully equipped with everything I wanted. It was a mix of 2019 and 2020 models and none of them had any kind of throttle lag at any time in any situation. I was even given a Q8 loaner while my A8L was being serviced so took advantage of it to drive quite a bit in various situations with no discernible issues. This has to be a problem affecting certain vehicles.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
. This has to be a problem affecting certain vehicles.
Yes Sir!
I also purchased a new Q5 for the wife and nothing is wrong with it. Absolutely perfect!
BigBoy11 (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by "BigAl"
I have seen the RPMs go up quickly to 5k with no movement of the vehicle at all.
Well, that's odd. That would indicate a transmission issue (or torque converter), either physical or programming. If the engine responded quickly, it's not a throttle lag - if there was no movement that means the engine power never arrived to the wheels, so everything between engine and wheels is suspect. People have reported transmission programming issues in the past. It has been pointed out that the tranny computer learns your driving habits and it can work weird in some situations. Some have posted ways to reset the "learned" programs to combat that, with various success.

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue