Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

MMI Shortcuts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MMI Shortcuts

Hi All, question on the MMI Shortcuts. I really like the idea of the shortcuts so can add frequent destinations (home & work) for navigation. I like to check the route before I get going to make sure I can avoid certain routes if there is traffic. The issue is the shortcuts seem to take some time to load after starting the car. Overall not really a big deal except that once the shortcuts get loaded, it seems they aren't really ready. If I select the short cut too quickly I get the "address not loaded" message. Wanted to see if this was just a bug and how it works, or do I have something corrupted in my system and should try resetting the software? Other than that the MMI software is pretty darn good....although I wish there was a way to get haptic feedback in Android Auto.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 798 Likes on 611 Posts

In the cars with MIB3 (MY2021+) there is a problem with shortcuts. MMI doesn't store some personal shortcuts. Ask your dealer: there should be an update of MMI.
You can always reset the MMI - press the radio **** for 10-15 until both screens will turn off. Perhaps it will help - worth to try.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by joelkamp
Hi All, question on the MMI Shortcuts. I really like the idea of the shortcuts so can add frequent destinations (home & work) for navigation. I like to check the route before I get going to make sure I can avoid certain routes if there is traffic. The issue is the shortcuts seem to take some time to load after starting the car. Overall not really a big deal except that once the shortcuts get loaded, it seems they aren't really ready. If I select the short cut too quickly I get the "address not loaded" message. Wanted to see if this was just a bug and how it works, or do I have something corrupted in my system and should try resetting the software? Other than that the MMI software is pretty darn good....although I wish there was a way to get haptic feedback in Android Auto.
Oh I hate this in the worst way. I get shortcuts deleted sometimes. I think it's absolutely ridiculous this data isn't cached and must be installed with every start. Just today I ran into a party store to grab a balloon order and was all of two minutes max and spent at least 3 waiting for my nav destinations to reinstall so I could get to where I needed to go.

That, and the "send to car" from the myAudi app takes like 30 minutes, usually right about the time I arrive at my destination that I entered manually.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses, sounds like it's just the way it is. Bummer as it kind of kills a nice feature. I have a 2019, so think it's MIB 2.5??? Was at the dealer last week and they confirmed I was running the latest software. He did mention that Audi was working on a big MMI update in Q1 of 2023. Didn't ask much about it or if older cars would be seeing any updates. Curious if anyone has any insight on the likelyhood of a new MMI update, it appears the current version is a few years old, so not holding much hope.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by joelkamp
Thanks for the responses, sounds like it's just the way it is. Bummer as it kind of kills a nice feature. I have a 2019, so think it's MIB 2.5??? Was at the dealer last week and they confirmed I was running the latest software. He did mention that Audi was working on a big MMI update in Q1 of 2023. Didn't ask much about it or if older cars would be seeing any updates. Curious if anyone has any insight on the likelyhood of a new MMI update, it appears the current version is a few years old, so not holding much hope.
Cars from 2019 rather didn't have problems with MMI however there were at least 2 updates. Just check which version you have.
Mine is 2711 and everything works fine but it was updated 2 years ago. The latest version should be 3617 but I didn't do the upgrade as my MMI has no problems.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, there were problems with the MMI on 2019 cars. To this day it takes our car anywhere from zero to 45 seconds for MMI to load and be able to use various functions. It's usually the 45 second time frame. So short cuts can't be used, nor the assignable button on the steering wheel (which we use for the garage door). The MMI updates didn't help a bit. There is no reason why this load time should vary. If it can do it once instantly, it should be able to do it every time. I'll say it again: Audi makes terrific cars but they don't do electronics well at all. They should find a vendor who can help them.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
In the cars with MIB3 (MY2021+) there is a problem with shortcuts. MMI doesn't store some personal shortcuts. Ask your dealer: there should be an update of MMI.
You can always reset the MMI - press the radio **** for 10-15 until both screens will turn off. Perhaps it will help - worth to try.
I have 2022 and still no fix for MMI. I can't even access shortcuts....radio shuts off regularly and screen goes black while music playing. I've been sending almost weekly emails to Audi Canada for months....still no fix.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper
Yes, there were problems with the MMI on 2019 cars. To this day it takes our car anywhere from zero to 45 seconds for MMI to load and be able to use various functions. It's usually the 45 second time frame. So short cuts can't be used, nor the assignable button on the steering wheel (which we use for the garage door). The MMI updates didn't help a bit. There is no reason why this load time should vary. If it can do it once instantly, it should be able to do it every time. I'll say it again: Audi makes terrific cars but they don't do electronics well at all. They should find a vendor who can help them.
MMI is a computer. Does your home PC load itself faster than 45 sec after restart?
Some key MMI functions like Garage Opener are always available in MMI immediately.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
MMI is a computer. Does your home PC load itself faster than 45 sec after restart?
Some key MMI functions like Garage Opener are always available in MMI immediately.
You're usually extremely helpful and I love your informative posts, but this is out of character for you and sounds like corporate Audi talking points.

My macs will instant resume from a closed lid and fully restart within 20 seconds, that's a garbage comparison. If that's the argument as to why someone can't close their garage door for 45 seconds or more then that's bad design by Audi and unacceptable. 45+ seconds to load Yelp reviews or online radio? Sure. 45+ seconds for your FM radio to function? Garbage.

And no, "key functions like garage door" are not always available immediately in the MMI. Your experience my differ, but leave the corporate dismissive responses to Audi.
The following 3 users liked this post by jayemko:
Agent Boost (12-21-2022), usnaviator (01-21-2023), WQ7 (01-30-2023)
Old 12-20-2022, 12:50 PM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper
The problem of long loading is easily solved by disabling the profile system using obdeleven or similar. I did it to myself and my friend on e-tron.
mmi always turns on instantly.

Quick Reply: MMI Shortcuts