Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Pre-Sense Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pre-Sense Issues

I have a 2021 SQ8 with all the bells and whistles, owned it for 4 months now, just over 6500 miles on the clock... in the last week, my wife and I have had 3 separate instances where the 'Presense' has engaged for no apparent or logical reason (no other cars/obstacles around). Most notably, my wife was stopped in the median turn lane on a divided 4 lane roadway preparing to make a left across opposing lanes into a parking lot. As she accelerated slowly from a stop, Presense engaged and stopped her cold in the middle of the two oncoming lanes and damned near put her through the windshield (had she not been wearing her seatbelt. There were no other cars around. Needless to say, she was rattled to the core. If traffic had been coming, or someone had been behind her following, there is no doubt this could have been a very serious incident.

She has since not gotten into the car without turning off the Presense feature in the 'Individual' settings. Problem there is, every time you get in the car you have to reset it (by turning it off on the slider button in the Individual menu). I don't even understand why the car resets preferences.

A similar but less drastic situation happened to her again, and I have seen the big red dash warning come up once in very light traffic with plenty of space around me.

Anyone have experience with this? Seems like a recall worthy issue for personal safety, since the car is stopping with full force for no apparent reason.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Do you have access to an OBD reader tool to pull any codes? I have not experienced anything with my 2021 RS Q8, but I only have had it for 6 months and just over 3K miles. I had several codes from March when the weather was bad related to "Presense Limited" due to visibility. Perhaps there is something there to help diagnose this.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 792 Likes on 606 Posts

It was rather Turn Assist not a Pre-Sense.
Here is the description:

Turn assist

Turn assist monitors the road lane with oncoming traffic by means of radar sensors, the front camera and, in certain models, a laser scanner. Monitoring is initiated as soon as the driver sets the turn signal. When driving off from a stop, or during slow driving up to a speed of 10 km/h (6.2 mph), the system can intervene by applying the brakes to prevent the car from colliding with an oncoming vehicle when turning left or right (country-dependent). This brake intervention keeps the vehicle within its own driving lane. The driver is informed of the intervention by an indicator in the instrument cluster.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 141 Posts

I have dialed down sensitivity on the Presense features to Low settings. Has prevented false alerts and is still sensitive enough to provide valued protection when needed.
The following users liked this post:
SQ8westcoast (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

FWIW, I have not had to reset the presense features from their individual settings once I've set them. Maybe you're using different keys or you haven't set up your user profile?
Old 09-18-2021, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

The dealer strongly recommended that I turn OFF turn assist during the "orientation and walkthrough" when I took delivery of the vehicle - he said many people were complaining about what the OP experienced. Mine has been off and I have not had any of these issues as I mentioned above.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks of all of the comments everyone!

Originally Posted by HDCL
The dealer strongly recommended that I turn OFF turn assist during the "orientation and walkthrough" when I took delivery of the vehicle - he said many people were complaining about what the OP experienced. Mine has been off and I have not had any of these issues as I mentioned above.
Do you physically go in an turn off that rocker switch in the 'Individual' settings as I mention above every time you start the car?
Old 09-19-2021, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by agfours
Thanks of all of the comments everyone!

Do you physically go in an turn off that rocker switch in the 'Individual' settings as I mention above every time you start the car?
Under Individual settings, I have the Intersection Assist turned off and everything else on. I have not touched this since I took delivery of the vehicle. It remembers this setting.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 792 Likes on 606 Posts

[QUOTE=HDCL;25631744]Under Individual settings, I have the Intersection Assist turned off and everything else on. I have not touched this since I took delivery of the vehicle. It remembers this setting.
/QUOTE]
Please note that Intersection Assist is something different than Turn Assist. IMO opinion it is very useful system warning of oncoming vehicles at intersections with limited visibility. Below the description:

Crossing assist

Crossing assist recognizes critical cross traffic in front of the car and warns the driver of it both visually and audibly. At speeds up to 10 km/h (6.2 mph), it initiates a short braking action when needed. Crossing assist is active at vehicle speeds up to 30 km/h (18.6 mph). It uses data from the zFAS central computer, with the most important information here supplied by the mid-range radars and the laser scanner.

If the driver wants to ease into an intersection or exit with poor visibility, he or she can push the parking button. This sends the images from the 360 degree cameras to the MMI monitor. They drastically expand the field of view, and the driver can choose from among multiple views.

Last edited by retom; 09-19-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Apparently Intersection assist is the cause of many false pre-sense braking incidents - according to my Audi Dealer. I am not questioning its usefulness, just that it misbehaves more than any of the other features.

Quick Reply: Pre-Sense Issues