Old 02-25-2019, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts
Default Q8 - Audi Will Have To Cut Engine Options To Save Money

https://carbuzz.com/news/audi-will-h...-to-save-money
Old 02-25-2019, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Doesn't sound like it will affect the current Q8 or v6 engines, but possibly the yet-to-be-unveiled RS Q8.

Last edited by Doc H; 02-25-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Granted, I live in Cincinnati -- with two Audi dealers -- but it is my "impression" that the RS Audis do sell, but between the two dealerships, the RS5 models will probably sell at most two or three dozen cars. There is a $95K RS5SB at our dealership. It will sell. But, at that price -- and I say this as a big Audi fan -- I have to assume folks are willing to shop BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche unless they are Audi mavens like many of us here.

I drove the RS5. And although I understand there are differences that explain the markup over an S5, the S5 (or even my S4 for that matter) is plenty quick and also very fast. The thing is there are a lot of A4 buyers who will consider an S4 and come to the same conclusion as I did with respect to the RS5 -- they'll buy a maximum spec A4 Prestige and can keep $10-$15K.

I was given the sublime pleasure of having our Q8 all day on Saturday. I drove it with the transmission in "S" mode, used the ACC and even the "lane keeping" -- I did not think it as quick as my S4, but it seemed able to not have ANY issues, power wise, that would give me pause. For a 5,000 pound vehicle, it feels pretty quick and nimble (we have the yr1 package.)

My point is the US market always gets cars with decent power. I would not be shocked to learn that there are lower power versions of the Q8 offered elsewhere. We get a vehicle that can power 0-62MPH in 5.6 seconds. And even in P+ configuration, the Q8 is a luxury SUV that surely seems very well equipped.

I'm almost surely going to consider an A6, but an upgraded S4, with the Q8's dashboard, etc., will certainly deserve serious consideration.

The market for the RS vehicles is there, but for many folks, a top spec "S" version will often seem like a better value, regardless of your checkbook's balance.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
Doesn't sound like it will affect the current Q8 or v6 engines, but possibly the yet-to-be-unveiled RS Q8.
It won't affect the Q8, or any variant of the Q8, SQ8, RS Q8 etc.

The "limited engines" are the W12, V10, 5 cylinder (RS3/TT RS, and impending RS Q3).

But I think the focus is on small model runs of atypical configurations. An example, in NA, is the current Q7 with a 2.0TFS and the old supercharged 3.0TFSI. They don't do that in other markets. They won't do stuff like that anymore.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks like the A8 in that article has leather on the top of the door panels. I know that was a big complaint around here with the extended leather option
Old 02-26-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dubbrand
Looks like the A8 in that article has leather on the top of the door panels. I know that was a big complaint around here with the extended leather option
Yes, looks good, makes sense it’s an option for the A8. It’s also available for Q7. Q8 got shafted. I’m assuming Q8 is the only SUV where you could spend 90-100K and not get leather on the doors.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
It won't affect the Q8, or any variant of the Q8, SQ8, RS Q8 etc.

The "limited engines" are the W12, V10, 5 cylinder (RS3/TT RS, and impending RS Q3).

But I think the focus is on small model runs of atypical configurations. An example, in NA, is the current Q7 with a 2.0TFS and the old supercharged 3.0TFSI. They don't do that in other markets. They won't do stuff like that anymore.
Supercharged 3.0 TFSI was a great engine. I loved it in my 2012 A6 Prestige. I vastly prefer it to the turbocharged engines Audi is rolling with these days, like the 4.0T in my A8 where the turbos just failed at 68k miles.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
Supercharged 3.0 TFSI was a great engine. I loved it in my 2012 A6 Prestige. I vastly prefer it to the turbocharged engines Audi is rolling with these days, like the 4.0T in my A8 where the turbos just failed at 68k miles.
Sure, I liked it too, although more in the B8 S5 than the C7 A7. Never had much of an issue with either; water pump failure on the S5, some timing chain chatter on the A7 on start up as the tensioners were staring to get a bit old. Bit more linear, bit sweeter than the new EA838 3.0TFSI. But the torque advantage of the new engine is pretty noticeable. Sorry to hear about your problem with the V8, seems a few have been having turbo failures. I haven't read of any on the EA838 though, and that's been out since 2016.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Sure, I liked it too, although more in the B8 S5 than the C7 A7. Never had much of an issue with either; water pump failure on the S5, some timing chain chatter on the A7 on start up as the tensioners were staring to get a bit old. Bit more linear, bit sweeter than the new EA838 3.0TFSI. But the torque advantage of the new engine is pretty noticeable. Sorry to hear about your problem with the V8, seems a few have been having turbo failures. I haven't read of any on the EA838 though, and that's been out since 2016.
I have a 2019 A6 3.0 TFSI as a loaner while my A8 gets repaired. I'm not really a fan of the engine - the car has no badge on the trunk signifying which engine it has, so I popped the hood to check and I was surprised to see the V6. I would have sworn it was a 4-cyclinder. I vastly prefer the Supercharged 3.0 TFSI in my old A6. The turbo lag is evident with this engine.