Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or other alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I too am looking for a replacement for my Q7. Drove a BMW X3 M40i and was impressed but fear it may be a little small. They had a new X5 that just arrived off the trailer and it was very nice. $85K seems steep for an X5 but who knows these days.

So that leaves me with another Q7, Q8, X5 or preowned Cayenne GTS. Im a bit concerned the Q8 isn't going to give me that sporty feeling I hope to get in my next SUV.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PARealtor
I too am looking for a replacement for my Q7. Drove a BMW X3 M40i and was impressed but fear it may be a little small. They had a new X5 that just arrived off the trailer and it was very nice. $85K seems steep for an X5 but who knows these days.

So that leaves me with another Q7, Q8, X5 or preowned Cayenne GTS. Im a bit concerned the Q8 isn't going to give me that sporty feeling I hope to get in my next SUV.
The SQ8 can’t be very far off, just guessing!
Old 11-03-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drove the Q8 (Prestige, Adaptive, Sardar Brown, 22 inch wheels). The car really has a presence; looks much sportier than Q7, drives very well.

Interior is clearly a class above new X5 in terms of materials (leather and wood), fit, finish, and seat comfort. Adjustable second row is a big plus over X5.

Sardar Brown is very dark and I usually like lighter interiors but liked it much better than expected.

Despite the Luxury package, top of the door panel is covered in plastic and not in stitched leather (or leatherette) as I would have expected.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pagla6
Just drove the Q8 (Prestige, Adaptive, Sardar Brown, 22 inch wheels). The car really has a presence; looks much sportier than Q7, drives very well.

Interior is clearly a class above new X5 in terms of materials (leather and wood), fit, finish, and seat comfort. Adjustable second row is a big plus over X5.

Sardar Brown is very dark and I usually like lighter interiors but liked it much better than expected.

Despite the Luxury package, top of the door panel is covered in plastic and not in stitched leather (or leatherette) as I would have expected.
I disagree about there materials being better. They're comporable in most areas except Audi doesn't have leather on their upper door panels, trim options are limited and not very elegant (my opinion of course) and the leather isn't up to what their A8 has.

Both vehciles have excellent fit/finish after driving each optioned up. They follow different design philosophies where BMW sticks with a more conservative interior Audi goes the Range Rover route with dual displays.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pagla6

The tops of the doors not being leather is really strange - it really looks strange when butted up against the leather dash. The new A6/A7/A8 and even the 2019 Q7 all have leather on the tops of doors when equipped correctly. It makes no sense why the Q8 wouldn't also have it. The European spec Q8 can be had with leather on the tops of the doors.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by critter6835

The tops of the doors not being leather is really strange - it really looks strange when butted up against the leather dash. The new A6/A7/A8 and even the 2019 Q7 all have leather on the tops of doors when equipped correctly. It makes no sense why the Q8 wouldn't also have it. The European spec Q8 can be had with leather on the tops of the doors.
Audi is trying to cut corners. They are really it screwing up and that has made me to cross the Q8 from my list. I have decided to go with the X5.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ven7782
Audi is trying to cut corners. They are really it screwing up and that has made me to cross the Q8 from my list. I have decided to go with the X5.
I looked at them all and almost bought a MB. While they are in for service frequently a friend of mine who owns a GLE-350 told me, " It is such a really quiet ride on the way to my 3rd service/warranty issue this month".

It is IMHO, such a luxurious interior and one of the quietest cars I've ever driven.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by critter6835

They have also cut corners in the engine bay, no more silver valve covers with red coil packs Audi are known for...sad.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
I disagree about there materials being better. They're comporable in most areas except Audi doesn't have leather on their upper door panels, trim options are limited and not very elegant (my opinion of course) and the leather isn't up to what their A8 has.

Both vehciles have excellent fit/finish after driving each optioned up. They follow different design philosophies where BMW sticks with a more conservative interior Audi goes the Range Rover route with dual displays.
Originally Posted by RJC 1
They have also cut corners in the engine bay, no more silver valve covers with red coil packs Audi are known for...sad.
Yep, I wonder why they would cut corners on what's effectively their flagship SUV.

Originally Posted by ven7782
I agree which makes it sad because I like both brands. I went with the X5 for different reasons but am glad I did. What are your X5 build specs? Do you use any of the BMW forums?

​​​​​​
Old 11-26-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My 0,02$. In considering the Q8, I compared it with the upcoming X7, not the X5. Since I wanted a real SUV i.e. reliable and effective AWD, I went for quattro, not xdrive. And many people I know and trust, and who know cars, told me Audi is much more reliable than BMW, the latter being particularly known for failing and unreliable electronics. Never owned a BMW, so can't tell for myself tough.

Quick Reply: Q8 or other alternatives?