Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Were the cameras dirty? I've had maybe one issue when the cameras were clogged up. (Of course there was that other time when I was coming back from a Track Day event where the number sticker was over the camera by the mirror. Doh!)
Nope. As I said, clear, dry day, vehicle freshly washed and dried. Had been driving for several hours. Also, as noted, the problem was cleared by turning cruise off/on, so unlikely to be a camera issue.
The following users liked this post:
BlackOptic (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

As a CR member, I just looked at the detailed reliability report, and the low rating makes no sense. All the vehicle systems were individually rated good or very good except the drive system (presumably the hesitation that can largely be cured with proper drive mode selections IME) and in-car electronics when a) I’ve read of no major issues there and b) elsewhere CR praises the MMI system and dual touch screens. So I don’t see how this adds up to a reliability score of 8. Something is off.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

As a CR member, I just looked at the detailed reliability report, and the low rating makes no sense. All the vehicle systems were individually rated good or very good except the drive system (presumably the hesitation that can largely be cured with proper drive mode selections IME) and in-car electronics when a) I’ve read of no major issues there and b) elsewhere CR praises the MMI system and dual touch screens. So I don’t see how this adds up to a reliability score of 8. Also much was brought over from the Q7 which scores very well. Something is off.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OldChipper
As a CR member, I just looked at the detailed reliability report, and the low rating makes no sense. All the vehicle systems were individually rated good or very good except the drive system (presumably the hesitation that can largely be cured with proper drive mode selections IME) and in-car electronics when a) I’ve read of no major issues there and b) elsewhere CR praises the MMI system and dual touch screens. So I don’t see how this adds up to a reliability score of 8. Also much was brought over from the Q7 which scores very well. Something is off.
I stopped relying upon CR a long time ago... they can't possibly spend that much time rating vehicles and their info is out of date by months. they also seem to rate products highly that consumers hate... ie: I looked up CR's washers and dryers when I needed to buy... they keep rating LG's as the top ones to get - 90+ ratings even.... yet, consumer rating on CR for those same products is like 2+... folks hate them and have tons of issues. I went with Electrolux based on forum and Youtube reviews and couldn't be happier... CR didn't even rate them while users praised their reliability and features.

CR used to be top notch... now, I don't really trust em much!
Old 01-10-2020, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pesto126
I stopped relying upon CR a long time ago... they can't possibly spend that much time rating vehicles and their info is out of date by months. they also seem to rate products highly that consumers hate... ie: I looked up CR's washers and dryers when I needed to buy... they keep rating LG's as the top ones to get - 90+ ratings even.... yet, consumer rating on CR for those same products is like 2+... folks hate them and have tons of issues. I went with Electrolux based on forum and Youtube reviews and couldn't be happier... CR didn't even rate them while users praised their reliability and features.

CR used to be top notch... now, I don't really trust em much!
Funny you should mention that. CR used to be completely independent with little external influence. I had the same experience you had with a robotic vacuum cleaner that is by far the best out there and completely ignored by CR.

Last edited by rjabend; 01-11-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rjabend
Funny you should mention that. CR used to be completely independent with little external influence. I had the same experience you had with a robotic vacuum cleaner that is by far the best out there and completely ignored by CR.
I still check them out.. but don't give them the 90% benefit of the doubt I did 10 years ago... lately, I find they are just very wrong most of the time.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 177 Likes on 142 Posts

I don’t rely on them for advice on what cars to buy, but their reliability ratings are reportedly measures of their membership experiences. So it is not based on a CR opinion. Knock on wood, love my Q8 for its first 6k miles.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Just starting my second year with the Q8 and had no issues to speak of the first year. Unfortunately I have three issues that have popped up now...

1.) Something is rattling around inside the steering wheel. It sounds like it could be inside the chrome colored spoke at the bottom. Has not affected steering in any way.

2.) Ever since I had the DAS update at my 10k service I’m getting a Child Safety Lock malfunction warning. Its usually at startup and has become almost every day now.

3.) I turned the rear wiper on for one sweep after the car was sitting for awhile outside. Outdoor temp maybe 45-50 degrees. The wiper blade ejected off of the wiper. I tried to re-install but it seems like the metal clip is broken.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Just starting my second year with the Q8 and had no issues to speak of the first year. Unfortunately I have three issues that have popped up now...

1.) Something is rattling around inside the steering wheel. It sounds like it could be inside the chrome colored spoke at the bottom. Has not affected steering in any way.

2.) Ever since I had the DAS update at my 10k service I’m getting a Child Safety Lock malfunction warning. Its usually at startup and has become almost every day now.

3.) I turned the rear wiper on for one sweep after the car was sitting for awhile outside. Outdoor temp maybe 45-50 degrees. The wiper blade ejected off of the wiper. I tried to re-install but it seems like the metal clip is broken.
For a first MY, that's fantastic, at least from my experience.
The following users liked this post:
htxq8 (01-13-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by soreano88
For a first MY, that's fantastic, at least from my experience.
Its been great but not excited about the prospect of them removing the steering wheel. Car’s been in the shop for a couple days now, haven’t called for an update. Dealer said no Q8 or Q7 loaners available at the moment in their inventory. In a Q5 right now, what a huge step down.

Quick Reply: Q8 unreliable?