Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 Weird Ac Actuator noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone,

Joining this thread. I have a 2021 SQ7 that (I think) developed this intermittent vibration sound after about a year.

Dealer told me "dash is the flap motors actuating, normal noise and we heard it on 3/3 of like model and year cars"

I have a hard time that a high-end car like ours (which means any of these cars, Q7, SQ7 any Audi!) is just normal. Once you hear it, you never stop focusing on it.

Has anyone heard an update or solution?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 01-27-2023, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 407 Likes on 345 Posts

if you could figure out how to deliver it to the right area, some dry silicone lubricant would probably take away the friction that could be causing the noise. it comes in a spray, with a thin straw like you get w a can of WD40. if you had a L O N G enough delivery straw, and a borescope, you might be able to get it to the right spot.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Man if I had those tools and skills I certainly would! It still comes back to Audi not trying something like that, I would think these techs are always hearing about rattles and vibrations. I'll just keep bothering the dealer until maybe they just concede and look further into it out of my annoyance. Kind of like the life insurance claim thing from "The Rainmaker", automatically denying the first three attempts.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LeoB
Hey guys,
Has anybody been able to fix this noise? I started hearing it after about 10k, and it progressively got very annoying.
After some experimenting, I figured out that it is coming from several points under the dashboard when the air is set to come from the dash vents. There is no noise if the air is aimed to the windscreen and/or floor only. Most likely it's the door actuators in the dash.
I would raise this question at the annual service appointment, but my next one is due in 10 months; and I don't want to take my car in just for that, if there is no known solution.
Hi all - just seeing if anyone has made any progress on this. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2023, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too! 2021 Q8

Thank you Q8kari for posting that video! I just bought a 2021 Q8, 16k miles and two weeks into ownership, it started making the exact sound you captured. It took me a while but I was finally able to get the dealer service technician to hear it (despite my own poor video capture skills) and he confirmed, as mentioned later in this thread, it's the AC flaps and it will act up worse in Auto mode.

The solution? "Turn up the radio." And he was not being flippant - I think he truly believes this is an Audi design flaw, and said Audi is aware of the issue and it's somewhat widespread. He said even with a replacement, it will likely begin again. He did not suggest taking apart the entire dash to replace the parts.

This astounds me. How can this be acceptable? If I can't get this fixed, I'll likely get rid of the car - it drives me insane. This is my first Audi, very disappointed.