Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or X5

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to own an X5 and moved to a Q7 in 2016. I went looking at an X5 again but still wanted something more eye appealing (interior and exterior) which I found in the Q8 which I was willing to pay for

With one child off to college next year, I no longer need a car as big as the q7, and I frankly never needed/wanted the 3rd row.

I had looked at the X6 and GLE coupe before. The X6 never was that attractive to me (X6M in white is the exception) and I frankly don’t like the rear styling of the GLE Coupe, not to mention MB’s COMMAND system

Bottom line: the q8 is the first suv coupe that I am willing to pay a premium for.

And yes, part of the allure is it’s likeness to the Urus

And those dual touchscreens....

Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you for that GK1234EMAIL!
Old 12-19-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Thank you for that GK1234EMAIL!
My Q8 arrives in March, by the way

Navarra Blue, Sarder Brown. Pretty much every option except the upgraded B&O and night vision

Old 12-19-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
What I'd really like to be seeing here, if we must discuss the competition, are comments from those who have shopped the X6 vs Q8 at the same or similar price points. Also, I would like to read from those who cross shop the Q8 and the GLE Coupe (again assuming similar price points.)
Actually since this thread is titled Q8 or X5, I would think the comparison of the two is appropriate.

You seem to take any perceived criticism of the Q8 very personally for some reason, please don't do that as I'm sure it is not intended to be a slight to you or anyone else that purchased one. It is all a matter of personal taste and opinion. In my opinion the Q8 did not stack up against the X5 in a number of areas so I went with the X5. Are they direct competitors? I guess so since I, and others on here, were shopping them against one another even though they are probably technically in different market niches. As my Dad always used to say, "If everyone like Ford, no one would buy Chevy".

I wish you, and everyone else who acquired a new vehicle no matter the brand, the best of luck and safe travels.

Last edited by TheTurtleBoy; 12-19-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the Q8 vs X5 is a very valid comparison - actually, probably should be Q8/Q7/X5, since in my opinion they are all very similar in function and utility - the possible exception being the included third row seat in the Q7, which I suspect 90% of Q7 owners will never use, or use minimally; I leave out the X7 or other SUV manufacturers because that's an expanded Universe that needs more than one thread. Similar size, similar engines, similar performance, similar tech and options. The X6 is a hulking beast dissimilar to any of these, and BMW's overpriced albatross IMO. The questions people are asking are more related to differences in degree, cost for value, and esthetics, which are valid comparing similar cars - the markets are so close as to not matter, and if Audi has failed to notice this, that's a whole other elephant that maybe bears discussing elsewhere. Among these three, there's something for everyone shopping for a medium-ish sized, luxury German SUV, and opinions and experiences of actual owners are very valuable for others making shopping decisions in the future - thanks to everyone contributing!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

The pros/cons/comparisons of the coupe vs full-size version of all German SUV’s and sedans (Audi, MB, Audi) are probably the same

At the end of the day, the standard version is always better value for money. The coupe is more expensive and has less space, but usually commands a premium for its styling and some extra features

From a purely value and utilitarian perspective, the standard suv/sedan is almost always the better choice.

One side can bash the other to no end, but it’s personal preference, needs, and budget which determines each persons choice.

Last edited by GK12345EMAIL; 12-19-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
I think the Q8 vs X5 is a very valid comparison - actually, probably should be Q8/Q7/X5, since in my opinion they are all very similar in function and utility - the possible exception being the included third row seat in the Q7, which I suspect 90% of Q7 owners will never use, or use minimally; I leave out the X7 or other SUV manufacturers because that's an expanded Universe that needs more than one thread. Similar size, similar engines, similar performance, similar tech and options. The X6 is a hulking beast dissimilar to any of these, and BMW's overpriced albatross IMO. The questions people are asking are more related to differences in degree, cost for value, and esthetics, which are valid comparing similar cars - the markets are so close as to not matter, and if Audi has failed to notice this, that's a whole other elephant that maybe bears discussing elsewhere. Among these three, there's something for everyone shopping for a medium-ish sized, luxury German SUV, and opinions and experiences of actual owners are very valuable for others making shopping decisions in the future - thanks to everyone contributing!
Why is the X6 not in the mix why isn't it Q8/Q7/X5 and, while we're at it why not also insert the GLE Coupe? If we're going to compare two different vehicles (the Q8 and X5 for instance) is there something that excludes the X6 from this comparison?

I grant this particular thread was titled Q8 or X5, but it just seems -- to me, which is, well, just one person -- that the Q8 and X5 are both good vehicles but they are apples and oranges, not red delicious and galas. After driving the Q7 and the Q8 but before making the purchase, my wife and I (now we're up to two people) remarked how very different the two cars were. Apparently, this view is only shared by my wife and me and a handful of youtube Q8 reviews. Actually, there is one youtube video that has the audacity to compare the Q8 to the Urus. Why is it that those who demo'd the Q8 and X5 never bothered (or didn't talk about it) to demo the X6 while they were at it? I've tested the X6 (twice) and it is far more like the Q8 than it is to either the Q7 or X5.

A previous post regarding sales figures for the X6 suggested that once the novelty of the Q8 passes that it, too, may become a relatively slow-selling car. That could be correct, time will tell.

Perhaps there is something about the X6 that makes it not be cross-shopped with a Q8, I sure as heck don't have a clue why, though. But, then again, I love my S4 and find it difficult to understand why Americans (and perhaps other markets as well) have somewhat soured on 4-door sedans, even 4-door "S" sedans. I would shop a high spec high horsepower 3 series (with M options) and a Mercedes C class (with HP figures over 350HP.) I wouldn't cross-shop an S4 with a VW Passat or even an Arteon, however. I know tastes change. I can grasp how an X5 fan might not re-up for the boxy SUVs in the class, but I would imagine it more likely for a Q7 customer who has his/her lease ending to check out a new Q7 and a new X5, but once the Q8 was added to the mix, why not add the X6?

I'm -- today -- expecting the 2020 S4 will be my next car, maybe a 2021. Would I take an A8 or an RS3 out for a test drive? Yes, but for entertainment purposes, not because I would seriously consider either the A8 or RS3. An S6? Maybe. An S7, nope.

Thanks for letting me expound on my confusion, I have nothing at all against BMW's -- we've had three of them and may have another. However, it is unlikely since we have the DEALERSHIP relationship that would be very difficult to replicate with a BMW dealer. After all, with 34 Audis purchased from the same dealership since 1977, I won't live long enough to build such a relationship with any other "brand." Yeah, the cars are important, but if I had to counter balance the product with something and my two choices were dealership relationship and price, it seems to me this is a no-brainer. Yet, I keep on my toes by testing Volvos, Mercedes, Infinitis, and BMWs to name a few. I just keep coming back to Audi and after so many of them, we have a strong loyalty gene.

Get an X5 or a Q7 or Q8, you would not go wrong. What I'm hoping for is to understand, just a little bit, why, thus far, it appears virtually no one who tests (and.or buys) an X5 ever brings the X6 into the conversation, yet the Q8 and Q7 almost are discussed as if they are interchangeable parts.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I suppose because in many Q8 reviews and descriptions it's referred to as "coupe-styled," or "coupe-shaped," with its mildly-sloping derriere and - actually - mostly SUV DNA. THIS, on the other hand is a coupe:

Old 12-19-2018, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

As I have gotten older, I have appreciated the comfort of the new SUV market. I have owned all the mentioned German brands and own two Audi’s - the A8L and the Q7. I have owned the second generation Porsche Cayenne, but unless getting the S, GTS or Turbo models, you will drive essentially a Audi Q7 or VW Touareg at an inflated price. The Audi Q8 is unique, even though it is marketed as a coupe, it is aesthetically different than the BMW X6 or Mercedes GLE coupe. The latter two are more hatchback and despite the slight slope of the rear window make the side appearence more Cayenne-like than coupe like. This is my two cent observation. I currently drive a ‘17 Q7 with the prestige, luxury and adaptive suspension and feel the car is underpowered. Never use the third row anymore. I thought the car rode better than my A8. Compared to interior leather design of the ‘19 X5 and ‘19 Cayenne, I agree with other observers that the Q8 is lacking. After test driving a Q8 at the dealer, I ordered a ‘19 Q8 equipped similarly to my Q7. I feel that the look is sportier and the ride/handling better, if that could be than my Q7. I should take delivery in March.

If I would need another family hauler with a third row, then the Q7 or the X5/X7 would be my cross shopping alternatives. I do not like the two flat panel tablets that Mercedes employs and their command system is inferior to both Audi’s MMI or BMW iDrive. I’ve never thought myself a mini-van person.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LeicaNut
As I have gotten older, I have appreciated the comfort of the new SUV market. I have owned all the mentioned German brands and own two Audi’s - the A8L and the Q7. I have owned the second generation Porsche Cayenne, but unless getting the S, GTS or Turbo models, you will drive essentially a Audi Q7 or VW Touareg at an inflated price. The Audi Q8 is unique, even though it is marketed as a coupe, it is aesthetically different than the BMW X6 or Mercedes GLE coupe. The latter two are more hatchback and despite the slight slope of the rear window make the side appearence more Cayenne-like than coupe like. This is my two cent observation. I currently drive a ‘17 Q7 with the prestige, luxury and adaptive suspension and feel the car is underpowered. Never use the third row anymore. I thought the car rode better than my A8. Compared to interior leather design of the ‘19 X5 and ‘19 Cayenne, I agree with other observers that the Q8 is lacking. After test driving a Q8 at the dealer, I ordered a ‘19 Q8 equipped similarly to my Q7. I feel that the look is sportier and the ride/handling better, if that could be than my Q7. I should take delivery in March.

If I would need another family hauler with a third row, then the Q7 or the X5/X7 would be my cross shopping alternatives. I do not like the two flat panel tablets that Mercedes employs and their command system is inferior to both Audi’s MMI or BMW iDrive. I’ve never thought myself a mini-van person.
Nice post. I can appreciate all your comments. I also reside in NJ

Quick Reply: Q8 or X5