Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Start/Stop... back to life? !

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Start/Stop... back to life? !

('19 Q8)

OK, I never liked this feature (that there was not an ability to turn this off, without having to do it each time I start up). It bugged me for a year or more after purchase - then, I never gave it another thought, as it never "stopped" on its own again.

Well, a few days after having my car in for service recently, I noticed that it cut off at a light. I was like "WTH?"...

So, now (after a good 3 years of it not happening), I have to once again turn that off every time I start up.

Anyone else have this happen?

THANKS
Old 07-25-2023, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 833 Likes on 596 Posts

Is this the beginning of the BSG failure?

This is rather strange indeed. There are a series of conditions that must be met for the SS to not turn the engine off at a stoplight.
Old 07-25-2023, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Is this the beginning of the BSG failure?

This is rather strange indeed. There are a series of conditions that must be met for the SS to not turn the engine off at a stoplight.
I'd chuckle at your BSG comment --- but I'm out of the loop apparently!

Old 07-25-2023, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by BLNT
I'd chuckle at your BSG comment --- but I'm out of the loop apparently!
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ction-3012848/

you'll cry before you can laugh!
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

('19 Q8)

OK, I never liked this feature (that there was not an ability to turn this off, without having to do it each time I start up). It bugged me for a year or more after purchase - then, I never gave it another thought, as it never "stopped" on its own again.

Well, a few days after having my car in for service recently, I noticed that it cut off at a light. I was like "WTH?"...

So, now (after a good 3 years of it not happening), I have to once again turn that off every time I start up.

Anyone else have this happen?

THANKS
My two guesses:

1) Do you put it in S each time you start the car without giving it a thought, and maybe this time it was still in D?

2) Did you buy it used? Maybe it was previously coded to be disabled (which I believe could be done with earlier series of the Q8) and then the coding was reset during your last service visit?
Old 07-25-2023, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea

Ugh .. a ticking '19 time bomb...
Old 07-25-2023, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jayemko
My two guesses:

1) Do you put it in S each time you start the car without giving it a thought, and maybe this time it was still in D?

2) Did you buy it used? Maybe it was previously coded to be disabled (which I believe could be done with earlier series of the Q8) and then the coding was reset during your last service visit?
I basically never run it in S mode. I purchased the car new -- I never asked them, but perhaps someone disabled it during a prior visit.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I basically never run it in S mode. I purchased the car new -- I never asked them, but perhaps someone disabled it during a prior visit.
Welp, then I’m 0 for 2. Maybe your car had been running “non-optimally” and as a result the conditions were never met for Auto Stop to engage, and your car is now running “optimally” after having it serviced? Not a knock on you or the car, just know these things are fussy and I feel like going 0 for 3.
The following users liked this post:
BLNT (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

no matter how much time is spent on this, I don’t think you will ever know. You can buy that little widget now to disable the S/S if you really dislike it.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
no matter how much time is spent on this, I don’t think you will ever know. You can buy that little widget now to disable the S/S if you really dislike it.
If you could elaborate as to what/where that widget can be found - and... does it impact my warranty?

Quick Reply: Start/Stop... back to life? !