Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Volume difference between Media and Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volume difference between Media and Radio

Anyone else see a major difference in volume levels between media and radio - or is there a setting I'm missing to adjust levels.

When listening to Media (via phone or via SD card) I have to turn the volume up a good bit.

When I return to radio - its extremely loud.

Anyone else dealt with this and is there a workaround I'm not seeing (do any of the sound settings apply to media vs. radio separately).
Old 01-05-2019, 09:32 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

While I have not experienced such an issue on my past Audis I do know that there is a source input gain in the developer (green) screen of the MMI. However you would need VCDS and guidance or time to find the right menu.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default me too!

Originally Posted by cbl1
Anyone else see a major difference in volume levels between media and radio - or is there a setting I'm missing to adjust levels.

When listening to Media (via phone or via SD card) I have to turn the volume up a good bit.

When I return to radio - its extremely loud.

Anyone else dealt with this and is there a workaround I'm not seeing (do any of the sound settings apply to media vs. radio separately).

I've had the exact same experience. Definitely not great, almost blew out my eardrums and the speakers. Will be curious to see what the solution is.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I checked and it doesn't save sound settings between inputs. So no work around there. I'll need to ask my dealer about it - maybe we will get lucky and Audi will fix in firmware update (or show dealer how to do it in green screen).
The following users liked this post:
augiecorrea (02-02-2020)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the same issue on my Q8.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We have the issue on our 2018 S4 and 2019 Q8. My previous car, a 2014 S4 would retain the volume settings between inputs. When I'm using my iPhone, the gain -- for purposes of explanation -- needs to be at "20" but for Sat Radio the same volume happens at "12." I have come to understand that what I need to do is turn the volume WAY down (since, these models no longer have a "number" for the relative volume, just the horizontal bar) before I switch to the radio.

This seems like such an easy program fix to "retain" relative volume from input to input.

Seems like a couple of programmers were working on the system and each one thought the other one wrote the code, and somehow it made it to production.

Send new software: PLEASE!

It is even worse if you're listening to Audible (listening to spoken word content, i.e.) and switch to sat radio -- the first time you make the switch BOOM the volume increases so dramatically you'd think the speaker cones would blow right through the speaker grills.

Frustrating in two cars costing a combined $140,000+ . . .

However, the B&O systems in these Audis blows away the Bose systems of just a couple of years ago. Thankfully, the A4/S4 (B cars) have been using the B&O systems since the 2009 MY.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2016 S6 didn’t have the issue
Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
We have the issue on our 2018 S4 and 2019 Q8. My previous car, a 2014 S4 would retain the volume settings between inputs. When I'm using my iPhone, the gain -- for purposes of explanation -- needs to be at "20" but for Sat Radio the same volume happens at "12." I have come to understand that what I need to do is turn the volume WAY down (since, these models no longer have a "number" for the relative volume, just the horizontal bar) before I switch to the radio.

This seems like such an easy program fix to "retain" relative volume from input to input.

Seems like a couple of programmers were working on the system and each one thought the other one wrote the code, and somehow it made it to production.

I've got a 2019 A7, but it has the same MMI unit as the Q8
And I was replacing a 2014 A6
My experience is EXACTLY the same as Markcincinnati
The 2014 allowed you to set different sound controls for each input (radio, jukebox, sd card, etc) and would retain the same volume level.
The 2019 has only one sound control and the volume level for each different input is all over the place
I would hope a software update could fix this, but I have a feeling we are stuck as is. Not the end of the world, but really annoying.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:11 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I saw input gains somewhere in OBD11 that showed most of the media gains at -134db vs 34db for sat and radio.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is it adjustable in OBD11?

Quick Reply: Volume difference between Media and Radio