Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Importing Canadian spec R8 to the United States....anyone here done it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing Canadian spec R8 to the United States....anyone here done it?

Gents,

I am in Ontario for vacation, and there is a Canadian spec R8 that I am seriously considering buying and bringing back home to Indiana, mainly due to the low mileage and it being an awesome deal once you take the exchange rate into consideration.

Having never brought a Canadian spec car into the United States before, I am wondering if there are any "red flags" that I need to be aware of? Does anything need changed? I would assume that the cars are the same, and that the odometer and speedometer cluster can probably remain, if it is anything like my 2012 S5 that allows you to just go into the menu and change it from reading kilometers to reading miles. But are there any other things or processes that I should know about?

I have already looked up several of the rules from the Customs Service, but having 'first hand' experience from people who have done it means a lot more to me. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a Canadian and I do not have any experience importing a Canadian car into the US. However, I have experienced exporting a US car into Canada back in 2004. And, I did all the paperwork myself without the need for a customs brokerage firm to do it for me. But, I did need them for the final paperwork.

You mentioned you did some research on how to import a Canadian car to the US. I have researched it, too, out of curiosity. As far as I know, as long as you follow the guidelines and do's and dont's, you should be able to do it yourself just fine.

How old is the car? If you it a newer model that still has Canadian warranty, that warranty will not be recognized by AoA. Not even Audi Care, if the car has it. If it is an older model, then ignore what I just said.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
I am a Canadian and I do not have any experience importing a Canadian car into the US. However, I have experienced exporting a US car into Canada back in 2004. And, I did all the paperwork myself without the need for a customs brokerage firm to do it for me. But, I did need them for the final paperwork.

You mentioned you did some research on how to import a Canadian car to the US. I have researched it, too, out of curiosity. As far as I know, as long as you follow the guidelines and do's and dont's, you should be able to do it yourself just fine.

How old is the car? If you it a newer model that still has Canadian warranty, that warranty will not be recognized by AoA. Not even Audi Care, if the car has it. If it is an older model, then ignore what I just said.
Hello! It is a 2009 R8. Audi USA and Audi Canada said that if it had warranty, it would still be valid in the United States per Audi. However, the car is out of warranty, so it is a moot point. I am going to the dealership tomorrow, as they said they could provide me with the compliance letters and such. So I am just wondering what else I will need since the Customs site is not exactly a checklist of items. More like a 'general guideline'. That is why I am curious what I am missing from those who have done it. I don't want to get a car seized or locked up for months on end.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a good guide that tells you the steps involved in importing a car from Canada to the US:
Importing from Canada ? ezbordercrossing.com

Here are some more reading material but I think the link above is best:
https://www.snowbirdadvisor.ca/how-p...-car-us-canada
Importing a Motor Vehicle into the U.S.

From the Canadian side, I am not sure what Canada Customs will need from you in terms of documentation to export the car from Canada. I suggest you contact Canada Customs to find out:
Contact Us - Border Information Service
Old 04-09-2019, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I’ve done it many times, and actually quite a few Audi’s. It’s easier and cheaper than bringing them in from USA to Canada. Send me an email. we can go through the process and I can set you up with an RI (registered importer) I have used.
Jason@flipped.ca
Old 04-09-2019, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

@Meeyatch1 - I've personally bought 4 cars in Canada and imported them legally into the states. The first thing, most "importers" simply do something you can do yourself and save some coin.

When I purchased an Audi, the few things you'll need to be aware of is as follows:

1. Is the vehicle being purchased through a private party? If not, a dealership will charge you GST for the sale, whereby a private sale avoids any sales taxes in Canada
  2. Get the current owner to request a manufacturer letter from Audi of America - which states that the vehicle complies with U.S. safety and emission standards. They will need to state that they are possibly moving to the US and want to take their vehicle with them. AoA will mail and email them a copy of the letter, which you'll need to provide US customs.
  3. You will need to pay an import duty on the vehicle (2.5% of the stated value of the vehicle), since your car is built in Germany, however you will have an ~$300/person exemption and can deduct that from the 2.5% total.
  4. Ensure the vehicle has an EPA sticker.
  5. Make sure you have a bill of sale with you at the border and you can fill in the remaining paperwork right there and then.

Since your vehicle is allowed in the US, it's not an issue to import it. But you obiovusly don't want to pay extra taxes on it...so avoiding GST & PST is ideal, since you'll need to pay your state taxes when you register the vehicle here. Good luck and hit me up if you have questions. Lastly, I've never had much luck with a dealer being able to provide an actual Manufacturers letter, since this needs to state the vehicle meets EPA and FMVSS requirements, which Canada does not have. So can't imagine how they can provide you with this...in the past the only avenue that worked 100% was requesting this via Audi of America.

Last edited by raj99; 04-09-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The above is correct but to add some things....
You will also need to make sure that the vehicle has a tpms light that activates when you turn the key and then turns off after a few seconds (most Audi’s will have but not all surprisingly).
You can buy from a dealership and avoid taxes as the vehicle is being sold for export. You cannot drive the vehicle off the lot and avoid taxes, but can have it shipped to the border (some dealers won’t abide by this, and will let you drive away).

The only thing I am not sure about is doing it completely yourself (like we do in Canada when importing) as the forms ask for your RI (registered importers) information and I have always been told by the border agents that this is mandatory (also read it on gov website somewhere). However if the previous poster has done it himself without the aid of an RI then you should make some calls as I have always been required to use an RI when exporting to the USA. There is a list of registered importers available on the gov website

like i said, feel free to email if you want.