Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[1989 Coupe] How to access rear speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [1989 Coupe] How to access rear speaker?

Let's start out with a picture:

I think this speaker has blown, but I can't access it to replace it.

I found this topic:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1615319

Some guy replies that in there's a topic in the Tech section which should answer this question, but I can't find it.

Seems like I have to remove the entire panel including the grill, but I don't know how.

Who does???
Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I figured it out. There we some hidden screws.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Accessing rear speakers

It's not too difficult: First you will need remove the back seats entirely. Start w/ the lower part of seat.(the part of set you sit on) If you feel around under the front edge of seat you find 2 plastic pull tabs. There is one on each side of the seat. Pull the tabs forward one at a time and it will release the bottom back seat. Now to remove the upper back seat. You see 4 bolts 2 on each side and 2 in the middle. Remove these bolts (& put in safe place). Now to get the back upper seat out, you need to lift from the bottom of the seat up. Do this on each side and in the middle. There are 'hooks' behind the seat that hold it in place. Once you've freed the upper part of the back seat, you'll need to feed the seat belts around the seat as you remove it and it should just pull right on out. If you do not have the factory spoiler, then you'll you also need to remove the third tail light. To do this you'll find 2 bolts holding the third tail in place in the upper mid section of the truck. You kind of need to almoost get part way in the trunk facing up to see what I'm taking about. (not a comfortable position!) You'll then need to just twist out the bulb and it's wiring harness. It's kind of 'keyed' similar to replacing a turn signal bulb. You're almost there. Last thing to do is to remove the rear deck lid. You'll need to remove the 3 bolts and bolt covers in the middle front of the rear deck lid. The bolt covers snap open, and you'll see the bolts. Once that's done carefully pull the deck lid out. Once out, you'll see the speakers. They are standard 6X9 speaker housing and bolt pattern, so most any aftermarket speakers will fit in nicely. Some modification will have to done to the existing factory speaker wires. You'll have to cut off the Mitz. wire harness 'clip' and then manually connect + & - leads from the stock wires to the wires on your new speakers.

I really wish I could show some pictures because it's alot easier than it sounds!

Hope this gets you going. I put some Sony Explode series 4 way 6x9's in the rear and 4way 5 1/4" door speakers (had to make some modifications on the door speakers) A Sony Head unit, Pioneer 760W trunk mounted amp, and 2 JBL 10" diaganolly apposed custom sub. cabinet w/ plexi-glass window in front. It not only sounds great, but looks really nice too.

hot air ballooning Gold Coast
Steroids