Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Radio Problems

Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Radio Problems

I have a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T with a Bose audio system.

The tape and CD players work fine with no audio distortion. However, both the AM and FM bands are not working well, if at all.

The problems started with a static sound on AM stations as the car was driven over bumps. Then, most of AM stations failed to be picked up, with the exception of nearby 50 kW stations. Additionally, when receiving AM stations, various electric sounds (clicks, whistles, etc.) and engine speed dependent sounds are heard. For the FM, only the stronger local stations are heard but only within about 25 miles of the station's broadcast antenna.

I had none of these problems until about two months ago. The local Audi dealership has looked the car and claims that problem is due to antenna amplifiers.

I am reluctant to spend the dealer's estimated $2100 to fix the problem.

Does the diagnosis (and cost) seem plausible?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ClarSax
I have a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T with a Bose audio system.

The tape and CD players work fine with no audio distortion. However, both the AM and FM bands are not working well, if at all.

The problems started with a static sound on AM stations as the car was driven over bumps. Then, most of AM stations failed to be picked up, with the exception of nearby 50 kW stations. Additionally, when receiving AM stations, various electric sounds (clicks, whistles, etc.) and engine speed dependent sounds are heard. For the FM, only the stronger local stations are heard but only within about 25 miles of the station's broadcast antenna.

I had none of these problems until about two months ago. The local Audi dealership has looked the car and claims that problem is due to antenna amplifiers.

I am reluctant to spend the dealer's estimated $2100 to fix the problem.

Does the diagnosis (and cost) seem plausible?
Yes the antenna amps seems to be the problem but I would want the connections checked. I have a picture of where the antenna amp was located in my old B5 A4 but you need to get a picture from your model Bentley Manual. I'd suggest going to a local shop that specializes in Audi rather than the dealer - or a auto stereo shop that has worked on Audis before.

Item 3

Old 11-20-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Reggie
Yes the antenna amps seems to be the problem but I would want the connections checked. I have a picture of where the antenna amp was located in my old B5 A4 but you need to get a picture from your model Bentley Manual. I'd suggest going to a local shop that specializes in Audi rather than the dealer - or a auto stereo shop that has worked on Audis before.

Item 3

I appreciate the response. Have already gone the route of taking the car to an independent shop.

Will post back with the outcome of the replacement (and hopefully the success) of the antenna amplifier.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Problem Resolved

The problem with the radio turned out to be a singleantenna amplifier, not the 4 or 5 that the dealership wanted to replace. The dealership had indicated that their experience was that the failure of one of the amplifiers portends the failure of all. Time will tell.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

how about this unit?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ClarSax
The problem with the radio turned out to be a singleantenna amplifier, not the 4 or 5 that the dealership wanted to replace. The dealership had indicated that their experience was that the failure of one of the amplifiers portends the failure of all. Time will tell.
well.this unit support bose system,TV tunner,RDS ,FM/AM ,2000-2006 year audi single antenna.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

with $2100,you can buy a new dvd player system...
Old 03-17-2019, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A6 Xm Linking issue.

Here is the short version. For several months and before the warranty expired at 50k the xm radio was going in and out. Dealt with Sirus kept trying to reset fix etc. finally took it to dealer because of a recall and the xm issue. Car now has 54k. Dealer says it’s a antenna issue and want to charge me $1300. To fix. I called BS. Saying the issue happened before and XM prolonged the issue. ( everything else worked)
so any help or solutions is welcomed. I am not paying $1300 and will tell sirus xm I am canceling because Audi won’t fix
next call is to Audi complaint line in Virginia.