Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding only sub/amp to full factory bose system

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding only sub/amp to full factory bose system

I know this can be done, but I've seen a few different things about wiring the blaupaunkt adaptor for front only RCAs or front and rears. I need to know the true lowdown on wiring up the adaptor into a bose stereo harness. I will be starting with full factory system and then adding my amp/subs, and from there replacing all the interior speakers and running off my same amp (6 channel amp).
Old 10-22-2001, 09:44 AM

Default I would seriously consider upgrading the speakers as well ...

The Bose speakers are cheap paper cone junk.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know, but that doesn't answer my questions :)

I don't want to dump the $600+ for the speakers and install replacement of the factory speakers on top of the $500+ to do the sub/amp install. I'm splitting it up simply because I can, and I'm sick of having a total lack of low end.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why not just change the head unit also. This way, when you sell the car, you can easily return it

to stock without the hastle of trying to "un-modify" the factory head unit. As for making it look clean, I had it done in my car, and it looks nice.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/14210.phtml">Link to Ted's stereo install</a></li></ul>
Old 10-22-2001, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Why not just change the head unit also. This way, when you sell the car, you can easily return

1) Any head unit I want it $400+ that I don't want to spend now

2) I DESPISE the way a single DIN head unit looks inside that huge opening in the dash, which leads me to

3) I probably will get a fixed LCD which is even more money, and most of the fixed LCDs out now aren't all that new, so I'd wait for something newer, or until I decide exactly what I want to do with the opening.

It really comes down to spending $500 broken up over segments or $1500-2000 all at once, and while I have the cash, I donot want to dump it into the stereo all at once.

In any event, I saw your pictures.. it looks like your amp rack is also the cd changer rack. How is that entire piece mounted to the rear deck? Just the top piece screwed right in?
Old 10-22-2001, 12:21 PM

Default Ahh, ok. Well in that case ...

On the Bose system all speakers are run off the amp, so you will want to tap into the line out for the front or rear. You can do this in the trunk at the bose amp instead of going with the blau adapter. You will have to solder together a RCA Y adapter.

As for the speakers, I got a set of nice Cadence 5-1/4" components brand new on ebay for $95. No need to budget $600 if you shop around.
Old 10-22-2001, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can certainly understand needing to break up the prices. But just some additonal info, they do

make aftermarket 1.5, 2 and 2.5 DIN head units, but you're correct that they are costly.
Old 10-22-2001, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default tapping into line out..

Hmm, this would make install costs cheaper because it would mean no need to run RCAs all the way from the head unit back to amp. It would also mean quicker install. Eventually I'd want to run RCAs instead of tapping into a line out, but for now, this would be adequate for the subs I think.

Where is the bose amp in the rear? Is it actually part of the speakers?

Would I not need a line level converter?

Did you do this? Any pictures?
Old 10-22-2001, 06:36 PM

Default Wire it off of the bose amp and use a converter to RCA's...I did it...

Works fine....fairly easy, if you're in So Cal. I can do it for ya......
Old 10-23-2001, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Wire it off of the bose amp and use a converter to RCA's...I did it...

I don't want to use the bose amp, but bypass it and get the signal that goes into it. Is it as easy and tapping into the wires before the amp and using a line level converter?

Quick Reply: adding only sub/amp to full factory bose system