Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone put new amps and speakers in A6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone put new amps and speakers in A6?

I want to keep my Symphony head unit and just beef up my system with better amps and speakers. Has anybody done this in an A6? Mine is an A6.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:04 AM
ECF

Default I've been trying to find the same thing....

It seems very few people on this board are A6 owners. Mostly TT and A4 people. I'm currently looking for someone to install the same thing in my car and I've been to three different reputable installers. Only one has ever done an A6. I've also combed most of the car audio boards on the net and only 1 or 2 A6 owners there either. We are in the distinct minority. Now if I had a Civic I'd be all set since there are tons of examples. :-)

Let me know what you find out.

Later,
Eric
Old 12-10-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Re: I've been trying to find the same thing....

It could be that the A4 install issues are very similar to the A6 issues.

You have an '03, I have an '01. I'm not sure if I have the Symphony I or II head unit? Do you know which version is in which model year?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

See the AW link in my signature. It has pictures.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I believe the '01s have the Symphony I. The Symphony II has.....

the indash CD changer, and I'm pretty sure started being installed in '02.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:41 AM
ECF

Default In fact I just found your sig yesterday and was waiting for a thread where I could

ask you some questions about the install.

- Did you do it yourself or did a shop do it?
- If a shop did it, how much did they charge for the custom sub enclosure? I've been looking at that option for stealth and usable trunk space, but they seem to be mucho $ for that type of thing. Anywhere from $650-$1000 just to fiberglass and install it.
- How hard was it to tap into the stock HU and do you think it compromises the sound quality much?

BTW, where are you from? I'm just outside Philadelphia.

Later,
Eric
Old 12-10-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Re: I believe the '01s have the Symphony I. The Symphony II has.....

My 2001 headunit has the in-dash CD player.

???
Old 12-10-2003, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It was a combined effort.

I had a pro do the work, with me as his helper. I used to do custom car audio installations back in the day, but I'm way behind in what is done today. So I found this to be just the right opportunity to get back some of the lost knowledge, and learn what's new. More than that, my body just doesn't contort as easily as it used to.

The sub enclosure was a bit tricky, and didn't turn out quite perfect, but still very good. It added about $400 to the cost of the project.

The Amp shelf is very cool, leaving all of the trunk floor space available, and only losing about 3" of vertical space under the rear deck. It looks very clean from the trunk lid opening, and provides access to the extensive crossover controls on the JL amps by flipping down the rear seats.

The JL Amps, and MB Quart speaker combination is incredible. The JL sub is great too, providing quite a kick from a 10" sub. I couldn't really fit much more than that into the trunk wall, and still provide enough internal volume for the enclosure.

While I do believe a new head unit would probably provide better SQ than the OEM unit, it can't be that much better. The stealth nature of this install means more to me than the marginal increase in SQ that may or may not be available with a new HU. I also didn't want to lose the steering wheel controls. The thing sounds great to my ears.

Tapping into the low level output which was feeding the Bose amp was no problem. The Bose amp is in the trunk, and the HU feed has everything you need. No need to even remove the HU from the dash. We chose to make solder connections rather than use an adapter cable.

I'm sure anyone can find out where I am if they tried hard enough. But part of my reason for the stealth install is; it probably won't get stolen if nobody knows it's in my car. So just humor me and just say I'm not on the east coast.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I said "CD Changer", not just a CD Player.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:53 PM

Default Re: It was a combined effort.

Could you be more specific about this paragraph: "Tapping into the low level output which was feeding the Bose amp was no problem. The Bose amp is in the trunk, and the HU feed has everything you need. No need to even remove the HU from the dash. We chose to make solder connections rather than use an adapter cable."

Where is the amp?

How can you tell which wires feed the fronts / rears / sub?

Sorry, I'm pretty dense about these things, but when you say you don't have to remove the head unit, are you saying that a person could install say a 4 channel amp for the fronts and rears and a mono sub amp just by "tapping into" existing wires in the trunk area?

Quick Reply: Anyone put new amps and speakers in A6?