Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone recommend Boston Acoustic 4"ers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Even more detrimental is having your speaker locations so far apart from one another...

This may seem obvious.... but isn't your sound stage pulled WAY to the rear with your tweets mounted in the rear deck? Rear is more simply for fill, not sound stage, doesn't the "band" sound like its behind you?

For those who don't know, the Boston Ac. 6.5.3 is a threeway system (1" tweet, 4"midbase, 6.25" woofer) on the same channel with 1 crossover spliting up the signal to the 3 seperates.

What I'm asking about is mounting the 4" mid in the stock door location, mounting the tweeters in custom mounts where the dash/windshield/A pilar come together(so the sound stage is in the front), and mounting the 6" woofer in the stock REAR door location (ie same principal Ted mantioned... sub frequencies are mostly non directional. The sound stage would obviously remain in the proper location (front center) but it might be to bright since the lows are mounted in the rear door, which tends to muffle them. My concern is if it will be way to "bright" for the front soundstage this way?

I'm also planing on putting 6" (crossed to be more mid range) in the rear deck locations, and a 10" sub in a custom mount in the trunk. This will help fill in the lows, but will it be enough?

My other option is to put the pro 5.5's in the front instead... so its more a question of what to buy for the best SQ.

Rian
Old 01-30-2002, 12:03 PM

Default Don't recommend it...

The 3-way set is exactly that, a SET. The 6's in there are your mid-bass drivers (woofers), not you sub-woofers, and will play frequencies that are directional. Doing what you suggest will pull the mid-bass back toward the rear of the car, which is something you don't want to do. Try sticking the 6's in the kicks, the 4's in the doors, and the tweets in the a-pillars... should sound nice. If you don't want to mess with your kickpanels, then just get the 5.5's and put them in the doors, and the tweeters in the A-pillars.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree... you should just go for the 5.5's
Old 01-30-2002, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you're splitting up pairs and will not have a good soundstage as you don't have all the

frequencies covered both up front and back.

I'd personally go with the 5.5s in the front, putting the tweeters and the woofer in the stock front door locations. I'd then put 6.5s in the back, both in the rear deck, and the subs in the trunk. As for crossing over, the woofers up front and in the rear, while crossed over below say, 100hz, will not go down as low as the subs. They physically can't move fast enough. If you cross the subs over, say below 80 hz, they will add the low end the other woofers can't reproduce.

I have a separate sub controller in my EQ that lets me set the sub volume (i.e., level) in relation to the rest of the system, as well as a continuously variable crossover from 120 hz down to 20 hz. I have it crossed at 80, and it rocks. I also have two 8s, which I prefer as they provide less rumble, and more hard hitting punch. Again this is because they can move faster and recover from the previous note more quickly. The subs are personal preference (meaning 8s or 10s; I'd listen to both before deciding, and bring a cd so you can use the same music to compare both on a consistent basis). As for the other drivers, save the money on the 6.5.3s, and go for two sets; one 5.5s and one 6.5s. You won't be sorry.

Finally, where do you live. If in the NY area, we can hook up so you can hear mine if you want.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:30 PM

Default 5.25" all around if you are spending the $$.... MORE

Many great speaks-

BA and MB Quart if you like brighter highs
a/d/s and top Diamond Audio if you like softer highs...

I'm no audiophile but rather have spent much time in the last few weeks listening... all ears are different!!
Old 01-31-2002, 12:32 PM

The 6.5 Rally Series amped sound great. I love mine
Old 02-12-2002, 03:02 PM

I had the 6.5 Rally Series amped and they sounded great. Was pushing 65watts to each - very clean
Old 03-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I have a set of Pro 6.4 components, and they are the best, IMO

Haven't installed them yet in the S4, but I had them in two previous cars, and never tire of listening to them. Perhaps you wired them incorrectly or just had a bad set? I'd listen to someone's car with them in if I were you - don't sour on such a fine brand of equipment.