Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Newbie...need some help please (96 Bose Delta)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2000, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio Newbie...need some help please (96 Bose Delta)

Trying to replace the Bose head unit with a Blaupunkt Munchen. I know that it would be best to just take it to a installer, but I want to learn how to do it myself.

From everything that I've heard, I need to have some wiring adapters from Scosche for everything to work. But when I pulled out the head unit, the connectors on the back look identical to the new Blaupunkt unit. I was very tempted to just try and plug them in and see what happens, but thought I better ask for some help first.

BTW, I do have two adapters from Scosche, a VW01 and a FAI-2. Please let me know what you guys think. I am taking apart the dashboard Sunday to finish replacing my trim and I wanted to do the headunit then. (If anybody has any idea how to wire everything, that info would be appreciated too)

Thanks.<p>Scott
Old 08-07-2000, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My perspective (long)

I installed my first car's entire system (head, amp, subs, front and rear speakers). That was a piece of crap college car, a 94 Corolla. It was also an ISO-DIN mount, meaning it just slides right into the hole vacated by the stocker.

When I got my A4 (non-Bose), I took it to Atlanta's most renowned installer, Cartunes. The salesman almost laughed at me when I told him I had an A4. He said that it is the hardest car in the world to work on and that he would rather not do it. I did find a shop that treated me great and did spectacular work (Stereo Festival II in Duluth for all you Atlantans out there).

I would advise against trying this yourself for several reasons. One, the Bose system is a closed loop system. I am not certain of the technical significance of this, but it basically means that a new head would have compatibility problems with the stock amp. The other reason is that you would need to physically fill the larger hole left by the stock head. I bought a kit from Scocshe, but it really doesn't fit solidly or look too good. My advice to you is swallow the hundred or so that installation costs, and get it done professionally.<p>99.5 A4 1.8TQMS APR Stage 1