Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for avincar

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? for avincar

I have set of DLS Uridium 6 1/2 in 2005 1/2 S4. The speakers are being run by a JL amp. I'm using the amp to cross them over. Where would you set the X-over for the tweeters. I ask because the mids are overwhelming, and the lower I go with the tweeters the worst it sounds. I have them set at 5000 right now. Have an audio control DQT on order to pull some mids down a bit or alot. Any other suggestions for getting rid of some of the mids? I'm running RSN-E for head unit. No rear speakers. Sorry for the long post but for what I spent on the system it is driving me nuts!!
Old 06-29-2006, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Here is a post that better explains the install.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=100889">http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=100889</a</li></ul>
Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So do you have the passive crossovers installed for the DLS speakers?

If you don't have them connected and are using the JL amps crossover to adjust, does the JL amp have the ability to bandpass the mids? If you are bandpassing the mids, try running the mids up to about 2.5k or 3k and then set the tweeter for the same. Attenuate the tweeter quite a bit if they're installed high on the door.

I have a similar setup that uses an active 2-way network in front. My crossover settings are:

Tweeter: HP at 3k at -12db/oct
Mid: HP at 125 Kz at -6db/oct. No LP
Sub: LP at 63 Hz at -18db/oct

The reason I didn't use a LP crossover on the mid is because it seems to blend better with the tweeter that way. But it may be differnt for you since you're using DLS and I using MB Quart. Also, you may not be able to adjust the crossover slopes on the JL amp so you'll just have to keep playing with it. One thing is that if you go too high with the crossover you'll probably run into distortion problems with the mids because they can't play that high. It may sound like very harsh mids when you reach that point. Letting the tweeters play a little lower will also help bring the soundstage up to the dash level instead of on the floor.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:37 PM

Default My suggestions

A quick examination of the Iridium 6.2 xover tells me there is a series resistor in circuit with the tweeter even when the output level jumper is in the HI position.

What this implies to me is that you should try lowering the gain on the tweeters significantly - regardless of what any RTA testing might tell you - to get closer to the relative output levels that DLS aimed for.

I would run the xover at 3000 to start, after you lower the relative levels.

I've run the UP comps in a similar situation, bi-amped, and even thought the RTA curve seemed fine, it did not sound right until I dropped the tweeter output 4dB (it was a Zapco DC series with digital OP level control).

Give that a try and see what you think.

Also, how long have they played? It does take DLS tweeters 4 hours or so to break in 90% of the way.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: So do you have the passive crossovers installed for the DLS speakers?

No not using crossovers that came with the speakers, only using the amp to crossover. I think that what ever I set the tweeter at that the amp stops the mid at that point. I've tried going down to 2500 to 3000 but just brings the mid up higher into the sound stage. And seems to add more of what i'm trying to get rid of.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Is the front channel set to "bandpass"? Is the "front" channel for the 6.5"s?

Bezlar, raising the soundstage is good.

The two questions in the subject line need to be answered "yes" for the 500/5 to work the way you need it to. Also, the multiplier switch on the rears needs to be on and the fronts needs to be off. (This is the kind of info that is useful to post initially : )

As far as adding more of what you're trying to get rid of, can you describe the ruckus, sir?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah. Like avincar said, higher soundstage is good. Wider and higher is better.

What kind of sound are you trying to achieve if you don't want the soundstage to be up high.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:35 AM

Default Re: My suggestions

put the original crossovers back in. considering that you bought a quality pair of speakers, a very knowledgeable person built those crossovers to get the best performance from those particular drivers. you are replacing that with an electronic crossover that allows only the adjustment of xover freq and power. a lot more than that goes into a good set of passive crossovers
Old 06-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Default Well... yes, and no.

There's no question that a direct connection without capacitance or inductance allows more accurate diaphragm control.

There are often some components in a passive network other than the basic inductors and capacitors. There are often resistors, and sometimes diodes, and sometimes thermistors or light bulbs for current limiting.

The diodes and some of the resistors are often used to control impedance peaks. The impedance peaks are most important when they would otherwise mess up the effect of the passive. With the passive out, they are not useful.

Sometimes there are parts in there to try to compensate for the phase shift in a passive network. If you remove the passive network, there's no reason to worry about the side effects of it.

So while sometimes the passives do sound better than the actives, and the Iridium crossovers are better than almost any xover out there (nice caps, wirewound resistors, foil inductors), it's worth noting that Team DLS's IASCA SQ-winning cars use active filters on the Iridiums.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Default granted, using unlimited resources . . . .

reconfiguring the crossovers actively will produce better results but taking into consideration a budget and the limited power of his amp i would use the passive crossovers unless i was convinced of the installers expertise. i would also run rear speakers they can make the front stage dramatically wider and still keep a deep front stage

Quick Reply: ? for avincar