Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B8 S5 / Alpine X702D-A5 / MMI Nav compatibility - what will break?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B8 S5 / Alpine X702D-A5 / MMI Nav compatibility - what will break?

Hey team AudiWorld!

I have decided that after an 8L S3, 8D S4, 8N TT, and an Argentine B7 A4, I want a B8 S5. I would like to own the last naturally aspirated, manual transmission Quattro 8-cylinder.

But I don't want to be stuck with ancient tech on-board. I really love Android Auto in my A4, and I'm pretty impressed by the integration with CANBUS that Alpine seems to have delivered with their X702D.

However, Alpine very clearly states that this unit is "Not compatible with vehicles with Audi MMI navigation or navigation plus system". And finding an S5 without nav, as Christian from Enfig told me in an email, is going to be a unicorn hunt.

So, does anyone know what the lack of compatibility means? Do I only lose the Nav features from the Audi system? Does it just leave me with a useless Nav button? Or is it truly completely not compatible?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm hoping to get things moving and to start the hunt for a car, but I want to make sure I have a solution for the tech before I spend the big money.

-mud
Old 06-13-2019, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you already talked to the expert that can tell you why it's not compatible. I honestly don't know why it won't work in a car with the nav system since the Alpine has it's own nav system integrated into the unit. The controls for the Alpine nav system are built into the head unit so it's not like it's integrated with the car nav system. AFAIK, the only thing it interfaces with is the car's CAN bus and the audio amplifiers. The unit comes with it's own GPS antenna that gets located behind the dash panel behind the steering wheel. I have the X701D-A4 in my 2014 S-Line A4 and I love it, but I also had the Audi Concert system without navigation.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The team at Alpine gave me a great answer today. So, now I know!

There are may things that might not work or be compatible to the Alpine system, Of the once we know of the controller in the centre console will not work you will not be able to control the volume from the display but only from the stalk controls, the MFD will only display basic things and you will not be able to scroll through your phone book, With the sound you would need to get the audio system re wired as in running speaker wires from the radio to the cars built in amp or direct to the speakers in the car. You would loose the CD/DVD play in the dash as well.

Regards

xxx
Aftermarket Support Co-ordinator
Alpine Electronics of UK Ltd.
Alpine House, Fletchamstead Highway, Coventry, CV4 9TW, United Kingdom