Old 10-25-2008, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best sub 1000$ sq subwoofer. discuss

discuss
Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default $1000 subwoofer? You're wasting your money if you're spending that much on a sub for SQ.

Some of the best SQ subs on the market don't cost more than $200. Image Dynamics IDQ subs for example.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default heres the thing. i am torn right now. I have not heard the idq or morel but have..

heard the hertz and loved it. I planned on going with the hertz just wondering the other options. I really want to hear the idq as you recommended in a earlier post. And at the price point and power consumption i could run the lrx5.1 for the whole car. Should i contact some id dealers and see if they have any cars with the idq installed?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think you can really make a wrong choice with the options you have.

If you've already bought the Hertz I don't really see a reason to switch now. Don't second guess your choice because what you have is really high end stuff. Once you start comparing equipment at that level, it all about the install and the tuning rather than the equipment itself.

You have to be happy with your choice though. Otherwise you'll be replacing equipment constantly thinking it could always be better.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

yeah i just feel overwhelmed.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default what do you think would play louder, 2 hertz 10s sealed or one

morel 12 ported

both off of 1150 watts audison
Old 10-27-2008, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's a really hard comparison.

The problem is you're changing a lot of variables so a direct comparison is almost inpossible without actually building both of them and listening to it. Theoretically, if you compared 2-10s and 1-12 of the same brand both in sealed boxes, the 10s would probably get louder just based on cone area. Now if you add to the mix that the 12 is in a ported box, it gets more interesting. The ported box will have a bump in output near the tuning frequency but it's output below the tuning frequency will fall off much faster than the sealed. The amount of increased output will vary depending on the box design. It might be possible to match the output of the 2-10s with the single 12 in a ported box but it will depend on what frequency you take that measurement at and how the ported box built.

Now if you change the driver in the ported scenario, you've just open up a whole can of worms that could probably only be answered by running a computer simulation or actually building it. Even the simulation won't be super accurate because you'd have to take cabin gain into account to know how it would actually play in the car. Without actually measuring what the transfer function is of your car, it would be nearly impossible to simulate that accurately. You can compare free air response of the two systems but that still doesn't tell you the whole story.

Confused? You should be.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would prefer the sound of the (2) 10s in a sealed, but everybody has different preferences

Win ISD is a free program that you can use to enter in woofer's specifications and it will help design an enclosure for you. It's very simple to use, and will give you a frequency output chart, MAX SPL, and dynamic range.

give it a try and let us know the results.<ul><li><a href="http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?download=winisdpro">download WIN ISD</a></li></ul>
Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've also used Bass Box Pro which can input a generic vehicle cabin gain.

I've had sealed and ported in the past. Built right, ported can sound very good but it's not easy to get perfect especially if you're trying to use complex shapes. Sealed boxes are more forgiving in terms of building. Small variances in a ported box can really mess up your frequency response.

I'm assuming you're looking at a Morel Ultimo 12 since you mentioned $1000 subs.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Ultimo is supposed to be a very nice woofer

Anything over $800 in the SQ woofer catagory will fetch you a great sound.

I haven't had the opportunity to compare the Ultimo and the Mille yet, but in the NorthWest, the Hertz dealers are crazy about their Mille woofers, they absolutely love them.

Quick Reply: Best sub 1000$ sq subwoofer. discuss