Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Details on new System. Please help w/ Engine Noise! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't feel bad guys, I had the same problem

Just got finished with my system this weekend. Sounds great with the engine off. Lots of alternater whine with motor running. I too traced the problem to the deck. I fixed mine with a power noise suppressor from Radio Shack. Very mininal with volume all the way down and as soon as music plays at even the slightest volume the noise cannot be heard. I may opt for a Phoenix gold line driver to see if that helps. I keep you guys updated.

Oh BTW thanks so much for those of you who posted the blau adapter info for 99.5 and later concert radios.

Bob Lewis 99.5 1.8T QMS
Old 03-11-2001, 05:49 PM

Default Another followup

To save you guys time. I ran a separate set of RCA cables down the center i.e. (through the cabin of the car in mid air---not installed) of the console to see if that was the problem. No help. I even installed the noise suppressor between the radio power and no help. I do believe it is the deck.
Old 03-11-2001, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I did the same thing..... (m)

I ran a pair of Monster rca's from my home system to the amp right over the armrest. No luck. I'm with you, the only thing it can be is the deck. Like I suggested, someone with a meter check the voltages on the line outs. It's gotta be low...
Old 03-11-2001, 07:18 PM

Default Alternator noise solution in progress

Hey guys, I'm also currently in the middle of a stereo install and noticed the alternator noise problem using the Blaupunkt adapter and stock Symphony head ('01 A4 1.8TQ).
I believe the problem is the low line level voltage coming out of the Symphony head. I noticed that I was running the gains on my Amps pretty high, and when I turn them down, the alternator noise is inaudible. Of course this means I can't get a very high spl level when I crank the head volume.
To solve the problem this week i'm planning on putting in a crossover/line driver unit behind the dash somewhere with RCA output level adjustments to send a nice high voltage pre-amp signal to the back and keep my gains low on my amps. I'll let you know how it turns out if anyone is interested. Probably have it in by the end of the week.
I'm still researching which to buy, but I like the Clarion MCD360 so far.

-Chuck
2001 Audi A4 1.8TQMS
Old 03-12-2001, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If I could reach back there... I'd pat myself on the back!

Glad I was able to help.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:23 PM

Default Maybe I can help...maybe I can't.

Most after market radios look like crap in the A4. I have my symphony hooked up to a 2 channel soundstream and a 4 channel soundstream. The radio picked up two noises. whether the car was off or on the radio gave this constant feed back. When the car was on it picked up alternator noise on top of the other weird noise. when I disconnected the rca from the from the amps they made no background noise. The sound in my case is comming from the symphony itself. I put the ground loop isolator right after the wire harness and the noises went away completly. I recommend that you disconnect your rca and start the car to see if your amps are also picking up alternator noise. Great amplifiers don't pick up alternator noise no matter where you ground it. Other amplifiers might and some are guaranteed to. If yours is picking up noise change the location of your ground. If that doesn't work get a noise supressor for your power wire. Don't forget to put a ground loop isolator right after your blaupunkt wire harness because even if your amps aren't picking up noise your symphony will and some times vice versa. If all else fails get a balanced line driver. If you can find one it takes out all unwanted noises end of story.<ul><li><a href="http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/ballndrv.htm">http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/ballndrv.htm</a</li></ul>