Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dimmable aftermarket head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dimmable aftermarket head unit?

I have purchased a few head units. Some have performed awesome and had cool features. Some not so much. Some high end. Some not so much.
But every one, and every unit I have ever looked at for that matter, doesn't dim with the instrument lights. Sure, some use the lighting wire to sense when the lights are on and partially steps the head unit illumination down a tiny notch. But none actually adjust the head unit brightness with the instrument lighting rheostat like all factory units do.
What gives? Why would ALL factory stereos vary brightness with the rest of the interior, and NONE of the aftermarket unit do this? Does anyone know of an aftermarket unit that won't be blinding me during a dark foggy drive on country roads when I've turned down the instruments so I can see outside better?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselfumes
I have purchased a few head units. Some have performed awesome and had cool features. Some not so much. Some high end. Some not so much.
But every one, and every unit I have ever looked at for that matter, doesn't dim with the instrument lights. Sure, some use the lighting wire to sense when the lights are on and partially steps the head unit illumination down a tiny notch. But none actually adjust the head unit brightness with the instrument lighting rheostat like all factory units do.
What gives? Why would ALL factory stereos vary brightness with the rest of the interior, and NONE of the aftermarket unit do this? Does anyone know of an aftermarket unit that won't be blinding me during a dark foggy drive on country roads when I've turned down the instruments so I can see outside better?
Have not installed one in years/ decades - but the old units use to have the brightness wired to the dash lights so they were dimmable. Are you sure there is not a input for this?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've installed a dozen or so in the last few years. And yes, there is a 'dimmer' or 'illumination' wire. It's orange/white. But all it does is switch between dim or full bright mode when you turn your lights on or off. But the dim mode is MUCH brighter than the instrument lighting even set mid way.

And I've talked to Chrutchfield folks (helpful) and local stores like Best Buy (unhelpful). But they consistantly tell me that the feature that's available on all stock stereos is not available on any aftermarket units. Weird.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Who told you this? You must believe that the world is flat.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Like I said. The people whose jobs depend on knowing these things. Salespeople. And in every other regard, Crutchfield is generally pretty good. And my purchasing experience supports this. I have purchased or helped install numerous head units in different price ranges recently that all lack this feature.
And I have posted this question on several automotive forums and no one has come up with a current model that has variable dimming. Have a suggestion?