Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with install in '01 a4.. mb quart adapter and pinouts

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with install in '01 a4.. mb quart adapter and pinouts

2 questions.. I tried to make the adapter for 5.25 driver in the front doors, using 1/2 inch mdf.. I guess my adapter is too big/thick as I cant get the door panel back on.. its hitting the metal frame of the door.. any suggestions??
also.. the pinouts on the symphony deck already being used.. do I remove the existing ones to put in the pins for the Blau pre-out adapter???
thx....
Old 08-26-2003, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default if you wanna fit that puppy back in

grab a hammer. Seriously. hammer the metal back where it is rubbing and you'll get the door back on. it's easier to point out where it's rubbing if you have a friend or two handy.

I think 1/2" is gonna be a little thick for the adapters. The next problem you'll have is when you try to roll down your windows after the panel is back on. click THUMP. That's what I had with my Focal 136K's at least.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Re the pins, see my stereo link.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default thanks.. i'll try thinner wood, also john re:pinouts

did you just hammer to push that metal towards the window more??? I take it you didn't cause any problems with that??

John....
I did look at your site.. the pics help..thx... the blau preout has all 6 pins used.. do i just put those in the factory plug the same way? its not clear which goes where since they are all covered in shrink tape where they are joined to the rca's. Also, I know I will be disconnecting my stock rear's (non-bose) any idea if I can plug those pins back into the front stage speaker level output pins so I can keep them going for rear fill???
Old 08-27-2003, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no probs with hammering. just hammer it in towards the window

so instead of the metal making an "L" shape, you'll bend it to make a "U" shape.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default what about the mb quart adapters.. do they make it fit that easy?

is it worth the money and the wait?? I can't imagine them getting around the metal on the door either.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: thanks.. i'll try thinner wood, also john re:pinouts

Q--do i just put those in the factory plug the same way? Yes--use the wiring diagram on the top of the stock receiver.

Q--its not clear which goes where since they are all covered in shrink tape where they are joined to the rca's. The arrangement of Blau pins is the same as on the Concert (maybe Symphony, too). Look at my pics for reference. (They are Right Front, LF, RR, LR, remote amp turn on, and ground.

Q--Also, I know I will be disconnecting my stock rear's (non-bose) any idea if I can plug those pins back into the front stage speaker level output pins so I can keep them going for rear fill??? You could, but you'd lose fading ability. You'd be unable to attenuate the volume with the fader (which you'd want to do for rear fill), and they'd distrot much earlier than aftermarket amp-driven speakers up front.

You could try to splice the rear output (or use a Y-adapter) to split the rear signa to the amp and to the stock non-Bose rear mini amp.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no, the adapters fit fine

because the adapters fit onto the door panel, and not the door itself. It's re-attaching the panel to the door that becomes hectic.

The MB Quarts are not bad as a start, but you could probably make adapters for much cheaper (and thinner to fit!) - only if you're handy with some tools and wood cutting though. Not hard to make though, and possibly "easier" fit if you make em right.

If you're lazy though, get the quarts. You may fit 5.25's without any hammering, it'll all depend on dimensions (progressive depth/width of the speakers, magnet, etc.)