Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you hardwire a Sirius portable into the existing radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you hardwire a Sirius portable into the existing radio?

First a little background: I have a 2003 A4 1.8T Quattro w/the Bose Stereo System (Vehicle build date 10/02). I don't have a navigation system or an external CD changer, and the stereo is not factory setup to add satellite radio. I recently purchased the Sirius S50 portable radio, which came with a car kit (docking station, cigarette power adapter, satellite antenna, FM modulator to transmit wirelessly). I wanted this so I can take it with me, so I don't want a permanent tuner installed in the car.

I'd like to do one of two things to get the audio from the satellite radio to my car's radio. The docking station has a "line out". I'd like to plug this into my radio in place of the external CD changer (is this possible) OR buy a 'Sirius Wired FM Modulation Relay' and plug that into the radio (but I've read that extra parts are needed to do this?). Either way I'd like to get rid of the wireless FM transmitter and hardwire the audio output into the radio.

I'd also like to use a power source that is not the cigarette power socket located in the center console. Where else can I plug in, can I hardwire (splice) in anywhere? The S50 is 5V.

I'll take recommendations, PDF files, and photos.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:00 AM

Default ditto

I was going to post almost the *exact* same question ('02 A4 w/Bose here). Only difference is I'm putting off getting a particular receiver until I sort out where it's gonna be mounted, wired, etc.

All the sites warn about messing with the power cable, but it can't be much different than hardwiring a radar detector (assuming the voltage matches up...) right?

In a perfect world I'd do the RNS-E retrofit with an oem sirius tuner, but that may be a bit over my head
Old 01-05-2006, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blitzsafe..

Connects in the trunk or behind the deck depending on which car you have... connect the blitzsafe, run the RCA connection to a RCA to Minijack connector, connect minijack connection to your Sirius radio.<ul><li><a href="http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catalog/blitz_aux/blitz_aux_list/blitz_audi/blitz_audi.html">Blitzsafe</a></li></ul>
Old 01-06-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: blitzsafe..

will i still be able to use the cd player in the dash (not an external cd changer in glovebox or trunk)?
Old 01-08-2006, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yes, if you have the Symphony II you just hit the CD button again

to toggle it between CDC and CD mode. Both the in-dash changer and the line in from the blitzsafe will work just fine.