Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for crimp-on wire terminals for back of fuse block to add new circuit

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for crimp-on wire terminals for back of fuse block to add new circuit

I'm asking this question in regard to any recent vehicle from VW...

Does anyone know of a source for the metal crimp-on wire terminals which can be inserted into the rear of the fuse block located on the left side of the passenger compartment behind the access panel? Once inserted into the rear of the fuse block, the terminal will latch into place. There are two terminal sizes: a larger size for the standard ATO blade fuses and a smaller size for the MINI blade fuses.

If you look closely at the unused fuse locations in the fuse box, you will see that there are many places where the upper metal contact is present. This is the power "input" side of the fuse. This contact will have either a 12 volt constant source (called "Terminal/Circuit 30" in many VW/Audi wiring diagrams), or a switched 12 volt supply (called "Terminal/Circuit 15" if the 12 volts is switched via the ignition switch, or "Terminal/Circuit X" if switched via a load reduction relay).

To add a new fused circuit to a vehicle most people splice a wire to an already fused circuit. This is fine for most people. But I want to do it the right way and this means adding a new independently fused circuit. There are several ways to do the job correctly, but the cleanest method is to use one of the many open fuse holder locations.

Of course, I've asked at the dealers (VW and Audi) and they have no idea. I've looked on-line and found a couple possible sources. See photo. But the seller of these parts is not sure the terminal is the proper shape to slip into the slot in the rear of the fuse block. Plus they don't have the smaller size for the mini fuses.

Obviously, this crimp-on connector must be inserted after gaining access to the back of the fuse block.

I'll find this part eventually and get several to give away should anyone need them. They'll be great for adding an amplifier or a switched circuit for other accessories (Homelink sun visor, auto dimming mirror, etc.)

Here's a photo of one such connector I found. Note the double barb which latches the connector to the inside of the fuse block as it is pushed in.

Name:  12020334_LG.jpg
Views: 7429
Size:  9.3 KB

Last edited by Mr. Timewise; 04-05-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I found it!

Eureka!

Thanks to JetTurbo in the GolfMKV forum I have found what I needed. You can read his posting here:

Here's a link for JetTurbo's installation of a new fused circuit in a VW

Note his response to a question about why the fuse block must be completely emptied of fuses and the rear pink section of the fuse box be shifted downward.

Here are his pictures of exactly what I needed. The photos are by JetTurbo, excerpted with permission from "Adding a 5A power circuit to Fuse Box C"

This part is a VW repair wire 000-979-021. It has a terminal on each end. For the installation of a new circuit you only need one terminal. So just cut the wire in half and use one half for a new circuit...and you might as well insert the other half into another unused fuse location in preparation for a second future circuit.

After installing the terminal(s) into the fuse block and re-attaching the fuse block to the car, the new circuit(s) will have a length of wire coming from the back of the fuse block. This wire will be hot (12 volts), so if you do not use it, make sure it is covered at its end so it cannot short out. To use the circuit you will attach a longer wire which will extend to your added accessory.

BTW...as JetTurbo mentioned, this is the terminal which plugs into the MINI blade fuse locations. He did not have information on the larger ATO blade fuse terminals.

Last edited by Mr. Timewise; 04-06-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Timewise
BTW...as JetTurbo mentioned, this is the terminal which plugs into the MINI blade fuse locations. He did not have information on the larger ATO blade fuse terminals.
I am in need of the type for the ATO size (that fits in the rear fuse boxes on Audi B8 platform).
If someone knows a source of bare terminals or a similar part as above (with a wire) that would be great.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

For "mini" fuses (2.8mm terminals) "Repair Wire with Terminals" (with 22" of wire) are part numbers:
  • 000-979-021 (0.5mm diameter wire)
  • 000-979-133 (1.0mm diameter wire)
  • 000-979-225 (2.5mm diameter wire)
For "ATO" fuses (4.8mm terminals) "Repair Wire with Terminals" (with 22" of wire) are part numbers:
  • 000-979-023 (0.5mm diameter wire)
  • 000-979-135 (1.0mm diameter wire)
  • 000-979-227 (2.5mm diameter wire)
  • 000-979-306 (4.0mm diameter wire)
The larger wire size is used when more amperage is expected to flow through the wire. Generally the 000-979-227 is what most people use for typical circuits with ATO fuses. For higher current loads such as amplifiers and driving lights, the 000-979-306 would be used.

It may be that there is often an "E" at the end of the part number. And if there is also an "A" added to the end of the part number that signifies gold plated connectors.

Last edited by Mr. Timewise; 07-30-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I'm just adding a comment to say that these wires work great on my 2012 A6 (needed to get the 'E' or 'EA' versions in the UK - about £2.40 per wire (which can be cut in half to get two connectors)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

this looks like what i need!