Sponsored by:

Obtaining a spare key or keyfob

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obtaining a spare key or keyfob

hello all:

apologies if this has already been covered ad-nauseam...

just bought a 2007 a4 wagon which only came with one key (looks like a valet key, not a remote keyfob). other keys were apparently lost by previous owner.

i've done some preliminary investigation into this; is paying the dealership my only choice? any cheaper options?

thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had great luck with a local locksmith, who advertised that they could do key-cutting and programming for Audi. I did correspond with him to make sure this included the A3 (mine's a 2010) and he was confident. The job took about 45 minutes--I stayed away in my office to avoid pestering him with over-the-shoulder questions--and at the end, it was just fine.

Like yours, mine was a spare-key job: I already had a fully-functioning key, but I simply wanted a spare. I've been using the new key for about a month now, with no problems whatsoever. The total cost was $200.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by genespleen
I had great luck with a local locksmith, who advertised that they could do key-cutting and programming for Audi. I did correspond with him to make sure this included the A3 (mine's a 2010) and he was confident. The job took about 45 minutes--I stayed away in my office to avoid pestering him with over-the-shoulder questions--and at the end, it was just fine.

Like yours, mine was a spare-key job: I already had a fully-functioning key, but I simply wanted a spare. I've been using the new key for about a month now, with no problems whatsoever. The total cost was $200.
EDIT: I posted too quickly: I do think that one thing that made my job easier was that I already had a full key. If you only have the valet key, your path may be more complicated.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for the response. i was able to get a fully functioning keyfob from a local locksmith who specializes in chip keys, working from only the wallet key.