Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok, check this out... wonder if anyone has done this before..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok, check this out... wonder if anyone has done this before..

I want to get MP3 playback in my car and I don't like and of the current HU on the market. They are all UGLY and don't match the dash well. And panasonic doesn't make a MP3 compatible changer. So with that in mind, my options were limited.

1. Factory deck with RCA input on the changer cable for a portable mp3 player - But then I loose regular CD playback unless I rig some kind of switch to a 6 disc changer.

2 get a HU with mp3 playback and regular cd playback. - I already explained my problem with that above. UGLY!!!

So #3 is what I think I am going to work on getting done.

3. I found that a company makes a Audi Concert HU to Alpine M-Bus changer. Cool!! since Alpine and like one other company make mp3 format changers. But the Alpine changer that plays mp3 is a Ai-Net. DAmm!!! Well I found a M-Bus to Ai-Net adaptor. So here is how it is going to work

Concert HU -> Audi/alpine (M-Bus adaptor) -> M-Bus to Ai-Net Adaptor -> CHA-S634 MP3 6 disk changer.

What do you think???
Old 08-15-2002, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Get an Empeg
Old 08-15-2002, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default hmm.. right from their site "SONICblue have discontinued the Rio Car product line, however ..

technical support and software development is still very much active."

Doesn't sound good!!!
Old 08-15-2002, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Empeg/RioCar still the best...

Even though it has been discontinued. The Empeg team just released another software update recently, and it runs Linux so there is a vast array of customised features available (or you can program your own!). There are still some Empegs running around, most of them can be had on Ebay or at the "Unofficial" Empeg BBS(http://emmpeg.comms.net). Even better, you can get them for about half of what they originally sold for. Someone has even done a second run of tuner modules in kit form.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If you are at all interested in it you can still get one...

I got on in March when they were going out of business. It is byfar the coolest device I have ever owned, besides my Audi of course : ). Like htey said there is still so much activity going on. They are working on a new tuner, digital output board, and a subout board. There are tons of lenses to match our red color also.

I think that you can get a 10 gig for around 500 still. There is another spot for a laptop drive so is very upgradeable.

You will not be dissappointed with it.

I'm done.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Do you have one?

If so what color lense do you use?
Old 08-15-2002, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here's a site that shows it working.

<ul><li><a href="http://steve.nac.net/empeg/">Here</a></li></ul>
Old 08-15-2002, 01:46 PM

Default other options to consider.. how I resolved this same issue.

I wanted to do the same thing last weekend, and of course had similar considerations as yourself. I found a site that sells a compatible cd changer with the Audi A4 model for $339 that reads mp3 cds... the catch is that no displaying of track info on the bose head-unit, and the cd changer doesn't support folders, so you're stuck with a single cd with 100+ files on it... not optimal by any means.

My solution? I ended up going to my local car dealership and spending $100 for a speaker-level to line-level converter (yes I was skeptical initially), but the installer assured me there would no loss of sound quality and I wouldn't have to go about replacing all of the stock speakers. The end result? I bought a Pioneer MP740 that plays mp3-cd's as well as regular cd's, has cool screensavers and lots of equalizer settings... the catch is that it's display is blue.

Oh well, I gotta have my mp3 playback... small price to pay. I figure in a year or so they'll have a lot more to offer as far as configurable stereos, more features, better integration, etc. and when that all comes together I'll upgrade.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
- Hurai
Old 08-15-2002, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have 2 different red lenses...

The red one that was available from SonicBlue and a darker red made DarkStorm. Both of them wash out in direct sun, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice the red ambience of my interior lighting
Old 08-15-2002, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I got my empeg in March....40GB@$599, not installed yet...

When I learned that empeg players were discontinued. I also got the extra lenses (green, red, amber), an extra remote and extra car bay for my house. I have plan to built a wooden case for my empeg, so I can connect it to my home stereo. With the MarkII model you can easily add a second 2.5 hd. Finally with all the hacked code available on the net, your empeg is never outdated. NEAT STUFF, really.

Quick Reply: ok, check this out... wonder if anyone has done this before..